throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    btimsah Guest

Rams Can Run 3-4

lol - Okay, I know some people suggest we don't have the talent for this. But on a boring Sunday I've created what I think might work for us if we did run the 3-4.

What I'd be tempted to do with the Rams defense;

Code:
    -----------------------------------------------------

ROLB - Leonard Little

RE - Chris Long
                                   MLB - Chris Draft

NT - Cliff Ryan
                                   MLB - James Laurinitus

LE - Adam Carriker

LOLB - Will Witherspoon

------------------------------------------------------
    Before you laugh the Cowboys do this.. Dolphins are doing it in the 3-4 with Jason Taylor.. ect.

Getting Little off the line really helps our run defense because it removes him as the liability he is versus the run up against huge tackles. He would be (imo) much better at OLB in the 3-4 because he's more versatile and will be in a position to abuse TE's even more. Iit also allows us to move Carriker down to his natural DE position. I also think it's nice to have Chris Draft inside. We could play Vebora there as well, but he's still unproven.

I'm curious what others here think. I have been seeing more and more teams move DE's to OLB as Parcells 3-4 disciples spread around the league.

(Disclaimer: I know this is not going to happen anytime soon, as I don't think Spags is a 3-4 guy but a man can dream.)

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams Can Run 3-4

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    lol - Okay, I know some people suggest we don't have the talent for this. But on a boring Sunday I've created what I think might work for us if we did run the 3-4.

What I'd be tempted to do with the Rams defense;

Code:
    -----------------------------------------------------

ROLB - Leonard Little

RE - Chris Long
                                   MLB - Chris Draft

NT - Cliff Ryan
                                   MLB - James Laurinitus

LE - Adam Carriker

LOLB - Will Witherspoon

------------------------------------------------------
    Before you laugh the Cowboys do this.. Dolphins are doing it in the 3-4 with Jason Taylor.. ect.

Getting Little off the line really helps our run defense because it removes him as the liability he is versus the run up against huge tackles. He would be (imo) much better at OLB in the 3-4 because he's more versatile and will be in a position to abuse TE's even more. Iit also allows us to move Carriker down to his natural DE position. I also think it's nice to have Chris Draft inside. We could play Vebora there as well, but he's still unproven.

I'm curious what others here think. I have been seeing more and more teams move DE's to OLB as Parcells 3-4 disciples spread around the league.

(Disclaimer: I know this is not going to happen anytime soon, as I don't think Spags is a 3-4 guy but a man can dream.)
    If we had to run a 3-4 D, I would make a couple of changes in your line-up:

Long is not any bigger than Little, and undersized as an end in a 3-4 D. I would have him playing lindbacker instead of Draft, and either James Hall or Little at end opposite Carriker. Hall would likely be the best on 1st and 2nd downs, with Little coming in on passing situations.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Chris Long fits better as a linebacker than Leonard Little. Little is stronger and faster on the line. I think it's worth a try, the 3-4. Maybe the Rams could switch back and forth between 4-3 & 3-4.
    Could never understand how the Rams D could have 4 up front but are so weak against the run.
    If the 3-4 would help, I'm all for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Like the other two posters, I would also rather have Long as a linebacker, and Little on the line.

I like Clifton, but we should rotate him with Hollis Thomas and Darrell Scott. These two guys are bigger, and can plug the holes easier.

I like Carriker at the end, where he fits better.

Maybe rotate Draft with Vobora and Larry Grant, and you got yourselves a pretty good 3-4 group.

Just all speculation though.

~Rockin

btimsah Guest

Interesting.. Chris Long instead of Little. Theoretically you could move both outside and go with Adeyunju and Hall.

The thing is, neither fit in the 3-4 DE spots.. I think we have our answer as to why our run defense struggles so much. Two undersized/pass rushing defensive ends..

But.. in Spags I will wait to trust.

maxxdigger Guest

little problem is simple it's not that he is to small It is most of the time he quickness off the ball. Getting himself far up the field making it a real easy block for o-line to make because he has already take himself out of the play.

when he doesn't get a good jump he has the leverage and strenght to make plays at or behind the line of scimage

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i guess its certainly possible to do that, but at the moment i just dont think that we have big enough defensive linemen for it

because of that, its probable that our linebackers arent big enough to take on blockers like they would have to do

our defensive players get pushed around as it is. its not a problem of system, its a problem of size.

TorontoRams Guest

Chris Long would get killed on the line, there is no way he can stand up two offensive linemen and hold against the run. Same goes with Leonard Little.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Leonard Little wouldn't fare well on the line either Imo they both would be standing up and playing OLB with Spoon and Laurantis in the middle. Ryan and Thomas at NT Carriker at one end and a combination of James Hall and Victor adenyanju at the other end, Then you could use Dorell Scott at all three positions on the line. We would be really undersized up the middle, but IMO with our current players thats the best we could do in a 3-4

maxxdigger Guest

I see your all missing the point of the 3-4 defense
    It does not center around the de's It has to start with a big mean killer sitting in the middle which is the nose tackle. If you get that which right now the rams really dont have close being hollis thomas. 3-4 doesn't work maybe clifton ryan but not sold yet.

I would like to see carriker out at the ends to see what he can do just dont know if he's got the speed off the line or not, hard to eval. when stuck in the middle gettin double almost every play

You almost think thats what spags has planed this year switching long and little to the inside tackles position because the quick jump off the ball is better suited agains guards and centers than tackles but we will see

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    Interesting.. Chris Long instead of Little. Theoretically you could move both outside and go with Adeyunju and Hall.

The thing is, neither fit in the 3-4 DE spots.. I think we have our answer as to why our run defense struggles so much. Two undersized/pass rushing defensive ends..

But.. in Spags I will wait to trust.
    Opposing teams RB look at the Rams frontline and Lick their chops!
    Chris Long is too small , gets manhandled by OTs, no threat to the QB, definitely not a run stopper, I rather see Carriker anyway on the edge of the line.
    The answers to why the Rams run defense struggles....They're always getting 'Punked' up front, in the trenches!
    Last edited by dgr828; -08-23-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Tomahawk got it right. We are simply too small to run the 3-4 appropriately. The problem with Spoon in the middle was the fact that he was too small. Now you want him to play OLB in a 3-4 where he has to go against offensive tackles all the time?

Next, the other OLB position... Little or Long? Neither have ever played standing up in their careers, though Long played as a 3-4 DE in college. The problem is that he projected to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Either way, you're committing a smaller player to the defensive line. Personally, I'd put Little at linebacker just because he's not as strong as Long, and a little bit quicker. Plus I figure that he has a bit more experience covering and falling into zone coverage than long does at this point.

Now we get to the line. AC and Long are 3-4 DE's so it works from that standpoint, but we don't have a huge nose tackle other than Hollis Thomas who could clog the middle. Ryan would be a good start, but I bet that our run defense would suffer, not that it could get much worse than last year.

Overall, I think the best bet would be to try to run it next year, after getting rid of Little, letting Long drop back to OLB, and moving Ryan out to DE or having Hall or Adeyanju play as the DE. For the NT position, we would need to draft or trade or otherwise acquire a big sloppy guy like Hollis Thomas(only younger) who can clog up the middle. Personally, I don't think we can do it, and still know that we're too small to do it. It's a good thought, but impossible to do with any success for a couple years in my opinion.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Tomahawk got it right. We are simply too small to run the 3-4 appropriately. The problem with Spoon in the middle was the fact that he was too small. Now you want him to play OLB in a 3-4 where he has to go against offensive tackles all the time?

Next, the other OLB position... Little or Long? Neither have ever played standing up in their careers, though Long played as a 3-4 DE in college. The problem is that he projected to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Either way, you're committing a smaller player to the defensive line. Personally, I'd put Little at linebacker just because he's not as strong as Long, and a little bit quicker. Plus I figure that he has a bit more experience covering and falling into zone coverage than long does at this point.

Now we get to the line. AC and Long are 3-4 DE's so it works from that standpoint, but we don't have a huge nose tackle other than Hollis Thomas who could clog the middle. Ryan would be a good start, but I bet that our run defense would suffer, not that it could get much worse than last year.

Overall, I think the best bet would be to try to run it next year, after getting rid of Little, letting Long drop back to OLB, and moving Ryan out to DE or having Hall or Adeyanju play as the DE. For the NT position, we would need to draft or trade or otherwise acquire a big sloppy guy like Hollis Thomas(only younger) who can clog up the middle. Personally, I don't think we can do it, and still know that we're too small to do it. It's a good thought, but impossible to do with any success for a couple years in my opinion.
    Good points all.. but I thought Leonard Little played OLB in the 3-4 at Tennessee? I could of sworn he was a tweener coming in from college.

I know we don't really have the ideal players for the 3-4, but very few teams do.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

What is the point of this discussion considering we have BOTH a head coach and defensive coordinator that have experience running a 4-3?

Spags and Flajole both have a long term demonstrated resume of success in the 4-3, and you're ready to change their footprint before they even have a chance to show what they have?
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -08-24-2009 at 10:53 AM.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    What is the point of this discussion considering we have BOTH a head coach and defensive coordinator that have experience running a 4-3?

Spags and Flajole both have a long term demonstrated resume of success in the 4-3, and you're ready to change their footprint before they even have a chance to show what they have?
    Whoa calm down mr. negativity. Just give me your usual negative rep and be on your way.

The post is about that we CAN run the 3-4, not that we will. In fact I made this clear in my original post with this disclaimer;
    Because I just knew, someone like you would try to find something to get upset about. Quit trying to turn this into such a negative forum, please.
    Last edited by btimsah; -08-24-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast