Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams CAN (...or, Why Todd McShay is a douche)

He who ignores history is destined to become a big giant douche.

-- Unknown

So... Todd McShay has already declared that the Rams will have the first pick in next year's draft. Seems like there is some logic there. After all, the Rams have only won five games in the past two years. Clearly, past performance is always indicative of future results.

Or is it?

Let's look at recent history. Its not like there have been teams each year who have turned things around, right? Oh, wait a second... yes there have been.

Dolphins go from 1-15 to 11-5
    Falcons go from 4-12 to 11-5
    Ravens go from 5-11 to 11-5

Browns go from 4-12 to 10-6

Jets go from 4-12 to 10-6
    Saints go from 3-13 to 10-6
    Ravens go from 6-10 to 13-3

Bears go from 5-11 to 11-5

Falcons go from 5-11 to 11-5
    Chargers go from 4-12 to 12-4

Does this mean the Rams will win 10 games this year? Of course not. But to suggest that they CAN'T, and to condemn them to the worst record in the league is to ignore history. For all we know, some playoff team from 2008 may have a couple of big injuries and some tough losses and find themselves with a top 10 pick next year. Meanwhile, a team like the Rams might just put things together, get on a roll, and improve significantly.

So, basically.... the bottom line is... yes, its WAY too early for 2010 mock drafts.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams CAN (...or, Why Todd McShay is a douche)

Not to take his side, but I think he just had to pick a team and go with it to start his mock. No games have been played yet, and he has no idea how everything's going to turn out, so he's just guessing, like you and I would guess as to who will have the worst record(although I believe our guesses would be different than his). So he probably just picked a team that has been at the bottom of the league over the past couple years and went with it.

I'm not taking it personally...yet.

GrnGyant is offline Registered User

I saw this and thought the exact same thing. There are so many variables that it seems ridiculous to even think about a mock draft. I mean say he's correct in guessing that the rams will have the first pick, what if the reason we have the first pick isn't because Bulger failed, but instead because our defense got scored on so much more than our offense could make it in the end zone. That would change what we would be looking at or what we would be trying to do with the pick.

And don't even get me started on trying to guess who's going to do well in the next year of college football. If Oklahoma loses two games next year, suddenly we're all talking about how some random quarterback from the university of North Dakota is the sure thing quarterback that every team should be looking at.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

McShay may know a fair bit about college football but its been obvious for some time that he`s far removed from knowing what goes on in the NFL.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Not to take his side, but I think he just had to pick a team and go with it to start his mock. No games have been played yet, and he has no idea how everything's going to turn out, so he's just guessing...
    funny how these all sound like fantastic reasons to NOT prepare a 2010 mock!!!

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GrnGyant View Post
    If Oklahoma loses two games next year, suddenly we're all talking about how some random quarterback from the university of North Dakota is the sure thing quarterback that every team should be looking at.
    Haha! Not so much. I see what you're getting at though.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Couldn't McShay think of something else to predict or write about.

Even BernieM wouldn't waste his time on something so stupid!

invisiblehorns314 is offline Registered User

Mcidiot just wanted to acknowledge his boy "Sam Bradford" being the first pick. When in my opinnion hes not gonna be the best QB coming out. IMO it seems like they beat up on the Rams when they are losing, but when the Rams where at the top, they were the Best ever. And i swear if i hear one more tv personality mention during a game "they are trying to get back to there GSOT form" im going to lose my mind. It seems like all they know about the Rams is The GSOT, Holt, Warner, Martz, and Bruce.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Couldn't McShay think of something else to predict or write about.

Even BernieM wouldn't waste his time on something so stupid!

It's his job though. Right now, he's fighting to stay relevant. Don't worry though, because in a week or two he'll be gone for a while.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

People see what you show them. In the last two years we only managed to win a combine total of five whopping games. We were the second worst team both years and we lost most of the star players that people knew us by. I think it's important that Rams fans realize that people don't care how we lost. They don't care that we had a joke of a coach in loserhan and more injuries than just about any other team. What they do see is wins and losses. All I know is for whatever reason we have had way too many losses over the past few years. You really can't knock someone for calling it how they see it.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

The Dumb Logic with that is, the Detroit Lions have had the worst record of anybody over the past decade, why not pick them. It's a fact from top to bottom we have a better team.

For some reason people just don't like the Rams, I have no idea. When ever other teams are having a bad year, they're having just that. The rams, they're a horrible team.

rams#1 Guest

what I hate is that he has the 0-16 Lions as being ALREADY better than we are!! and they have no Steven Jackson either.... yes Todd Mcshay is a douche!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Not to take his side, but I think he just had to pick a team and go with it to start his mock. No games have been played yet, and he has no idea how everything's going to turn out, so he's just guessing, like you and I would guess as to who will have the worst record(although I believe our guesses would be different than his). So he probably just picked a team that has been at the bottom of the league over the past couple years and went with it.

I'm not taking it personally...yet.
    Personally, I'd take the Lions or the Browns. They're pretty safe bets to be picking in the top five most years. I mean I don't expect people to be giving our team a whole lot of respect right now, but do they actually think we're going to be worse than we were the last two years?

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

"The order of our first round reflects Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson's revamped power rankings -- which take into account the playoffs, free agency and the 2009 draft -- in reverse".
    To me it appears that Matt Williamson thinks the Rams will have the worst record, not necessarily Todd McShay.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Why is everyone bashing McShay for doing the job ESPN pays him to do. Yes, he runs about the same 50% success rate as everyone else does, but anyone with half a brain knows that the draft is a crap shot... expecially in predicting the draft.

How about instead of bashing Todd for being just as good/bad (depending on your own perspective) as every other "expert", just tell ESPN to get rid of these guys. Like I said, he is only doing what he is paid to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast