RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams' Chillar set to battle Gates, Gonzalez

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - As the strong-side linebacker, the St. Louis Rams' Brandon Chillar will go against two of the best tight ends in the NFL in the next two weeks.

Chillar, a fourth-round draft pick in 2004 starting for the first time this season, will face the Chargers' Antonio Gates Sunday at San Diego. The following week, Gates draws Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez in St. Louis.

The 6-foot-3, 242-pound Chillar said he looks forward to the test. So far this season, he has 19 tackles, three quarterback pressures and one pass defended for the 4-2 Rams.

He also got his first career sack in a 30-28 loss to Seattle on Oct. 15. The Rams had a bye last week.

"I try to improve my game each week in practice and in the games," Chillar said. "Being a full starter gives me a chance to develop."

His biggest challenge lies ahead.

Gates is a two-time Pro Bowl player who last year led all tight ends in receptions (89), receiving yards (1,100) and touchdown catches (10). This season, Gates has 27 catches for 318 yards and four touchdowns.

How do you handle a player like that?

"You just prepare," Chillar said. "You watch film and see whatever tips you can. He's not afraid to go up and get the ball and make plays."

After that, Gonzalez brings to St. Louis his 10-year reputation as one the league's premier tight ends. A seven-time Pro Bowl player, Gonzalez has averaged 77 catches, 930 yards and almost seven touchdowns a season in his career.

"I'll definitely see where I'm at after going against those two guys," Chillar said.

Rams coach Scott Linehan said the defense will be kept busy by Gates.

"I don't want to make light of the subject, but its a pretty hard matchup," Linehan said. "Basically, he's got all the physical characteristics you look for in a tight end, but the thing about this guy is they flex him out at wide receiver and he's as good as receivers in this league at that size, so he's really a double threat.

"We're spending a lot of time trying to figure out ways to stop the guy, we really are," Linehan said.

Chillar, from Calsbad, Calif., grew up a Chargers fan.

"It's always good to play in front of my family but I'm trying to prepare as if it's another game," Chillar said. "I don't want to get too hyped up. You know, every other week but this one, I want the Chargers to do well."

NOTES: WR Torry Holt attended Game 3 of the World Series. On Friday, with the Cardinals a game away from winning the championship, he offered this piece of advice: "Finish. The biggest thing I would tell them is to finish. Go into the game with mind-set that you went into the beginning of the playoffs. Don't relax." ... LB Pisa Tinoisamoa has a broken bone on the top of his hand, but is still listed as probable. If he can't play, Dexter Coakley will take his spot, Linehan said. ... FB Paul Smith is off the injury list and ready to play, Linehan said. Smith has surgery on his eye after getting hurt against the Detroit Lions Oct. 1.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Chillar set to battle Gates, Gonzalez

you'll probally see raonall smith play a lot more this weekend as well

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Chillar said. "You watch film and see whatever tips you can. He's not afraid to go up and get the ball and make plays."
    Hopefuly Chillar can change that.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

Gates is a two-time Pro Bowl player who last year led all tight ends in receptions (89), receiving yards (1,100) and touchdown catches (10). This season, Gates has 27 catches for 318 yards and four touchdowns.

How do you handle a player like that?

"You just prepare," Chillar said. "You watch film and see whatever tips you can. He's not afraid to go up and get the ball and make plays."

After that, Gonzalez brings to St. Louis his 10-year reputation as one the league's premier tight ends. A seven-time Pro Bowl player, Gonzalez has averaged 77 catches, 930 yards and almost seven touchdowns a season in his career.

"I'll definitely see where I'm at after going against those two guys," Chillar said.

Rams coach Scott Linehan said the defense will be kept busy by Gates.

"I don't want to make light of the subject, but its a pretty hard matchup," Linehan said. "Basically, he's got all the physical characteristics you look for in a tight end, but the thing about this guy is they flex him out at wide receiver and he's as good as receivers in this league at that size, so he's really a double threat.

"We're spending a lot of time trying to figure out ways to stop the guy, we really are," Linehan said.

Chillar, from Calsbad, Calif., grew up a Chargers fan.

"It's always good to play in front of my family but I'm trying to prepare as if it's another game," Chillar said. "I don't want to get too hyped up. You know, every other week but this one, I want the Chargers to do well."
    I feel like were in trouble if Chillar is the guy in charge of covering these 2 stud TE's. Also I hope Linehan isn't spending to much time on Gates.....there is another guy on that team that isn't to shabby either. Sounds like Chillar is going to be a very busy guy between supporting the run to hopefully slow down LT and also keep a close eye on Gates. Doesn't sound good to me.

Maybe playing in front of family and friends will lift Chillar to a new level of play
    at least for this game? Let's hope so.:r
    Last edited by laram0; -10-29-2006 at 08:04 AM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-18-2008, 03:40 PM