Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LA Rammer

Thread: Rams claim DE Mason Brodine off waivers from Raiders

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams claim DE Mason Brodine off waivers from Raiders

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Rams claim DE Mason Brodine off waivers from Raiders

great pick up from the Raiders he can hand the offensive line some switch blades so they can protect bradford
    ManofGod likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RockinRam is offline Registered User

6'7 255lbs. Interesting. I'm guessing they don't like what they see from Gholston.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

My guess is he'll line up beside our RT and stay in to help block on all passing plays. Somebody has to pass block on the right side.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Ducey: Brodine’s wait may buy NFL shot - Omaha.com

Ducey: Brodine’s wait may buy NFL shot
    By Marjie Ducey
    WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
    Omaha World-Herald

It was around 8 a.m., and Mason Brodine showed up for Nebraska’s pro day without an invitation.
    His agent told a few NFL scouts that he would be there, and the 6-foot-7, 255-pound defensive end from the University of Nebraska at Kearney was just hoping for a look.

But shortly after he arrived in the lobby outside the coaches’ offices in the Osborne Complex, Brodine was politely told that NU doesn’t allow non-Huskers to work out for scouts on its pro day.
    The former eight-man football player from Elm Creek High School didn’t turn around and leave. He wasn’t about to give up so easily on his NFL dream.

“I should be here just in case,” he thought to himself.
    So, he stayed. And stayed.

He talked with some of the football staff, and a few former Lopers who now work at NU.
    He eventually moved over to the lobby outside the Hawks Center where the Huskers were working out, but he didn’t peek inside. He didn’t want to interfere.

Around 11:30 a.m., a Seahawks scout gave him a questionnaire to fill out, giving Brodine a shot of hope. He grabbed a quick lunch with a friend and tried to stay ready.

“It was just a little lobby area and there were some reporters out there,” he said. “I was just standing over by the bathroom, waiting for them to get done.”

Finally, about 4 p.m., Brodine watched as the NU hopefuls trooped out. And that’s when he got called.

“The Huskers were nice enough to ask if anyone wanted to work me out after the Huskers were done,” Brodine said.

Many of the scouts left, packing up and racing to catch their flights. But eight to 10 stayed and gave Brodine an accelerated workout.

He whipped through the pro agility drill, the 40-yard dash, the vertical and standing long jumps.
    “I just wanted to go and show them what I could do. I was hoping for some pretty good numbers. I was just hoping I would do my best,” Brodine said. “I did pretty well. I’m a pretty big guy, and I move pretty well for my size. I think they liked that.”

Nobody told Brodine his results that day, but they did want to know where he went to school and asked for some film.

He measures the success of his tryout on the spike in interest received by agent Buddy Baker with Exclusive Sports. Gil Brandt, the longtime Dallas Cowboys executive who is a senior analyst with NFL.com, even mentioned Brodine when talking about some Nebraska players in the draft.
    “I got a lot more phone calls after that,” Brodine said.

UNK coach Darrell Morris said the two-time, first-team Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference selection looks like an NFL player. The two-year starter had 155 career tackles with a school-record 23-1/2 sacks for the Lopers.

“He’s got the body, the long arms and all that kind of stuff,” Morris said. “He’s very athletic, he runs very well, he’s big and strong and a hard worker.”

Six or seven teams have requested film, including the Cowboys, the New York Jets, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Carolina Panthers.

Brodine thinks that he’ll likely go as a free agent, if and when the NFL lockout ends. He checks on the progress of the talks now and then, but is mainly focused on finishing his degree in business administration.

He’s just glad that he didn’t go home that March day.

“It was definitely a great opportunity for me,” he said. “I guess I just waited long enough.’’
    Last edited by Ventesette; -08-29-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: wall 'o text