Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rams claim Giants players faked injuries

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams claim Giants players faked injuries

Rams claim Giants players faked injuries
    Updated: September 20, 2011, 9:38 PM ET

The St. Louis Rams looked sloppy and disjointed in Monday night's 28-16 loss to the New York Giants.

Some of that, the Rams claimed Tuesday, was due to New York defenders apparently feigning injury to disrupt St. Louis' offensive tempo.

"They couldn't get subbed, they couldn't line up," Rams quarterback Sam Bradford said. "Someone said, 'Someone go down, someone go down,' so someone just went down and grabbed a cramp."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said the team has notified the league office.

"That'll go on the list of things we're going to send in," Spagnuolo said. "I think the league is looking into it. I'll let it run its course from that point of view."

Giants safety Antrel Rolle said he didn't know if his teammates had faked injury, but said it would have been smart if they did.

"This is the NFL, no one is dumb in this league," Rolle said on WFAN 660 in New York on Tuesday. "Many teams do it all the time. In my eyes as a veteran, it was an extremely smart play on their behalf if they were in fact faking."

In the first quarter, the Rams were marching toward the end zone with a no-huddle offense that was giving the Giants fits. Cadillac Williams had just gained eight yards and the Rams had a second-and-2 at the Giants' 7-yard line when Giants safety Deon Grant and linebacker Jacquian Williams dropped to the turf. Grant was writhing on the ground and play had to be stopped.

Grant would jog off the field on his own power and the Rams eventually settled for a field goal.

Grant returned to the game and played, leading some to speculate if the safety was actually injured.

Rolle said that Grant hurt his knee, but wasn't sure if it was on the play in question.

"Deon Grant actually did hurt his knee. I don't know if it was on that particular play or not," Rolle told WFAN. "He was complaining that his knee was bothering him."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said he thought Grant had a cramp.

"Well from my standpoint on the sideline, I thought he was cramped," Coughlin said. "They were in a no-huddle situation and it was a hurry-up deal. I just thought that he cramped at that time or definitely had something that was bothersome to him."

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Re: Rams claim Giants players faked injuries

Ummm and you didn't catch the time the giant reciever pulled our defender into him on a pass play and got a free pass interferance call on us?

JPPDPurQB Guest

Spag's Defense has faked injures before, like in SB42.

I think it was a little fishy, but my initial reaction was that is was so ridiculous that it was funny, but I took it as both players simultaneous had the same idea and the coaching staff wasn't involved, but we'll never know.

JPPDPurQB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    Ummm and you didn't catch the time the giant reciever pulled our defender into him on a pass play and got a free pass interferance call on us?
    there was definitely a phantom holding play that was huge against the Rams. I am not sure if you are thinking of the same play I am. On the other hand, saffold held JPP many times, at least 4 were very blatant.

On the whole, I felt the refereeing was slightly in our favor.
    lordwhttgr and ZiaRam like this.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

It was fishy and obvious but... the league is going out of it's way to make play safer. I think it would be a long shot for them to fine a team or player by saying "oh you weren't really hurt."

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

It's a smart play, but if they do that they should be charged a timeout.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

on NFL.com
    The St. Louis Rams' offense had a nice no-huddle rhythm early in Monday night's game against the New York Giants. Then two Giants defenders suddenly and suspiciously dropped to the ground with injuries.
    As a result, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Tuesday the team will file a complaint with the NFL office.
    "That'll go on the list of things we're going to send in," Spagnuolo said. "I think the league is looking into it. I'll let it run its course from that point of view."
    Giants coach Tom Coughlin also met with reporters Tuesday and had to explain his thoughts on the alleged fake injuries to safety Deon Grant and linebacker Jacquian Williams. Both players quickly re-entered the game, which New York won 28-16.
    Hurting in St. Louis
    Steven Jackson

"Well, from my standpoint on the sideline, I thought (Grant) was cramped," Coughlin said. "They were in a no-huddle situation, a hurry-up deal. I just thought he cramped at that time or definitely had something that was bothersome to him. ...
    "When I looked out on the field, all I saw was the injured player."
    When asked for a comment on the situation, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello pointed to the league rule that states: "The Competition Committee deprecates feigning injuries, with subsequent withdrawal, to obtain a timeout without penalty. Coaches are urged to cooperate in discouraging this practice. If a player or club admits to it, the action would be subject to discipline."
    Rams quarterback Sam Bradford believes it was obvious the Giants were just buying time and trying to slow down St. Louis.
    "They couldn't get subbed, they couldn't line up," Bradford said. "Someone said, 'Someone go down, someone go down,' so someone just went down and grabbed a cramp."

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

by Howard Balzer

It was late in the first quarter Monday night when the Rams reached the Giants' 7-yard line on a possession that began at their own 26-yard line. Cadillac Williams' eight-yard run came on first down and was the sixth consecutive play run by the Rams with no huddle.
    It was certainly the Giant's prerogative to call a time out there to slow the Rams' tempo and possibly change their defensive personnel. Instead, the Giants tried another tactic: Safety Deon Grant and linebacker Jacquian Williams suddenly fell to the ground, clearly faking injuries. And the officials were powerless to do anything about it.
    While acknowledging he believes the league will be reviewing the situation, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Tuesday, "It's like the official (referee Terry McAulay) said to me. They can't make the decision of whether somebody's hurt or not hurt. You just don't know that."
    After the game Monday night, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford said, "I was pretty upset. They couldn't get subbed, they couldn't line up, so two of their guys they literally... they told them. Someone said, 'Someone go down, someone go down,' so someone just went down and grabbed a cramp and I was pretty frustrated about that."
    The NFL Rule Book says, "The Competition Committee deprecates feigning injuries, with subsequent withdrawal, to obtain a timeout without penalty. Coaches are urged to cooperate in discouraging this practice."
    NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello told profootballtalk.com the league could fine a payer or the team "if it could be proven. It's not a judgment call. (‘We think or decided they were faking.') You would need clear evidence, meaning an admission."
    Of course, that's not going to happen, considering Giants coach Tom Coughlin's response Monday, when he said, "From my standpoint on the sideline, I thought he was cramped. They were in a no-huddle situation and it was a hurry-up deal. I just thought that he cramped at that time or definitely had something that was bothersome to him. When I looked down on the field all I saw was the injured player."
    Coughlin said that with a straight face, unlike some of his other players who were laughing on the sideline when it happened.
    It's one thing if a single player goes to the ground. A second one doing it simultaneously is blatant and obvious.
    Meanwhile, Spagnuolo, not wanting to say anything that would reflect negatively on Coughlin, who gave him his shot as defensive coordinator in 2007, wouldn't answer when asked if he would coach his players to do what the Giants did.
    "I'm going to decline to comment on that," he said.
    His non-answer actually spoke quite loudly.
    Delay of game: The media was kept waiting for about 25 minutes Monday night while Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo was talking with owner Stan Kroenke.
    That night, Spagnuolo made no mention of why he was late, but opened his press conference by saying, "First, I apologize for the wait, I really do. Not how I planned it and I'm not doing that on purpose. I wouldn't do that. Too much respect for you guys and gals."
    The delay became a story and was written about on profootballtalk.com when New York Post reporter Bart Hubbuch tweeted, "I hear Rams control-freak owner keeps haranguing him after losses, wanting explanations."
    Attempting to douse the fire, Rams senior director of communications Ted Crews told the website there was nothing unusual about the pow-wow with Kroenke other than how long it lasted. Crews said, "They talk after every game. Win or lose."
    Spagnuolo again addressed the issue Tuesday at his day-after press conference, saying, "I do deeply apologize for being late at the post-game conferences. I want you to know that it is not out of any disrespect. I do know that the jobs you guys have. There is a lot going on at that time and you want to get the players and you don't want to be sitting in a press conference room waiting for me. I have visited a couple times with Mr. Kroenke and I value that time. He's great. I appreciate him coming in and talking to us and myself and that's kind of what happened but we'll get that squared away and I promise you that we'll take care of you like we should."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Giants safety Antrel Rolle said he didn't know if his teammates had faked injury, but said it would have been smart if they did.
    Smart? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolle to English translator
    Smart = Cowardly, Cheap, Pussified
    Oh well now I understand.

"This is the NFL, no one is dumb in this league," Rolle said
    The offseason police blotters would say otherwise.
    "Well from my standpoint on the sideline, I thought he was cramped," Coughlin said.
    Really, Tom? Your team is so poorly conditioned that they're cramping in the 1st quarter? Then fire your S&C staff immediately.

Cowards.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Delay of game: The media was kept waiting for about 25 minutes Monday night while Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo was talking with owner Stan Kroenke.
    That night, Spagnuolo made no mention of why he was late, but opened his press conference by saying, "First, I apologize for the wait, I really do. Not how I planned it and I'm not doing that on purpose. I wouldn't do that. Too much respect for you guys and gals."
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Spags owes the media anything. Explanation. Apology. Nothing.

I know there's NFL rules about this kind of thing, but to me.....the media should be grateful Spags shows up at all after each game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Read an article on NFL.com claiming that the rams will file a complaint about that. I forgot the rules for posting articles on here, so if you want to see it, its on the front page of nfl.com under the headlines.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPDPurQB View Post
    there was definitely a phantom holding play that was huge against the Rams. I am not sure if you are thinking of the same play I am. On the other hand, saffold held JPP many times, at least 4 were very blatant.

On the whole, I felt the refereeing was slightly in our favor.
    I work with a few Giants fans, and they were absolutely amazed at all the "non-penalties" their secondary were committing, especially when you consider the ticky-tack/non-existant holding penalty on 1st and 20 (or was it second and 20) from their 10ish and this OPI that was called on the RAMS DB.

I personally think the officiating in this game was more biased against the RAMS than SB36. Did we get away with a couple OL holding by Saffold and Smith? Maybe one or two, but no where near the OL holding the Gnats were getting away with. I think the secondary officiating was stupidly biased against the RAMS, and had a greater impact on the RAMS' ability to score points.

gap

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

While it was certainly cheesy tactics & a blown call by the zebs because two guys fell down simultaneously AFTER the play was over (although maybe Harvey Dahl farted & it took a moment for them to be overcome by the fumes), I don't blame The Giants for pushing the envelope of what is legal to protect their EZ. I do think the tv timeout was a wee bit too convenient.

How is it different from Bradford throwing the ball at Cadillac's feet to escape a sack ? He had no intention of trying to make a pass.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    How is it different from Bradford throwing the ball at Cadillac's feet to escape a sack ? He had no intention of trying to make a pass.
    I hear what you're saying, by not having any enforcement procedure against flopping on the ground, the league is almost saying it's okay, but what Bradford did is specifically allowed by rule, purposely faking an injury to stop the clock is not. Bottom line though is that until there is some kind of rule change, teams will continue to take advantage and fake injuries. Maybe this instance does just that, because it was obvious for all to see and it had a major effect on the game.
    MauiRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I hear what you're saying, by not having any enforcement procedure against flopping on the ground, the league is almost saying it's okay, but what Bradford did is specifically allowed by rule, purposely faking an injury to stop the clock is not. Bottom line though is that until there is some kind of rule change, teams will continue to take advantage and fake injuries. Maybe this instance does just that, because it was obvious for all to see and it had a major effect on the game.
    Maybe, but it's more of a blown call under existing rules,imo, like someone kicking the ball to slow down placement during a two-min drill ( remember when that got the Rams in trouble a while back).Two guys at once is just as blatant a delay tactic. Dunno how you could prove that one guy didn't cramp up. And there's already a time run-off for injury timeouts in the last two mins of a game, no?

And a new rule about fake injuries does nothing for the peeve that I have about a 30 second timeout turning into a 5 min tv timeout. That gave The Giants all kinds of time to catch their breath & regroup tactically & personnel-wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast