Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Rams claimed TE Brody Eldridge off waivers from the Colts

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams claimed TE Brody Eldridge off waivers from the Colts

Rams claimed TE Brody Eldridge off waivers from the Colts.
    Eldridge played guard and center at Oklahoma and was a first-team All-Big 12 pick as a sophomore fullback in Bob Stoops' offense. Purely a blocker, he'll compete for a roster spot with Mike Hoomanawanui behind Lance Kendricks.

Colts take Brody Eldridge in the fifth round, a 265 pound tight end out of Oklahoma. The interesting thing about him at Oklahoma is that he was sort of a "jack-of-all-trades" along the offensive line. He played some center and guard his senior year. He didn't catch that many passes playing behind OU phenom tight end Jermaine Gresham. But pass catching doesn't seem to to be his thing. This guy is a blocker:

Eldridge caught a total of 13 passes for 98 yards and one score during his four-year career, but his value lies nearly entirely in his blocking ability. He is big, strong, powerful and has an excellent work ethic. His biggest negative is a lack of speed, which not only inhibits his ability to be a receiver, but also can make him slow off the line and give him occasional trouble blocking quicker defenders. Durability is also a concern.

Interesting that the Colts would go for a blocking tight end here. It's the type of person they really don't draft. Perhaps this pick is a result of new offensive line coach Pete Metzelaars' influence in the War Room. Metzelaars was a tight end as a player.

His speed was clocked at 4.75, which is pretty slow for a tight end. But, again, this guy seems to fit the mold of a blocking tight end or, perhaps, a (gasp!) fullback! If that's the case, he's an interesting pick here.

From NFLN's Mike Mayock:

The Colts just picked the best blocking TE in the entire draft. Eldridge started games at center, guard, tight end this season for the Sooners. In fact, he was an all-conference FB as well. He's nasty, he's tough and he will upgrade the Colts' run game and be a tremendous compliment to Dallas Clark.

Welcome to the Rams, Brody Eldridge!
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-18-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Re: Rams claimed TE Brody Eldridge off waivers from the Colts

Another gift from the football gods... He was let go as the Colts drafted two TE in this draft one of them was to reunite Luck with his TE from Stanford. Now Sam gets an old teammate back in the huddle... this is a very good signing IMO

Aug. 25, 2008

NORMAN, Okla. - Sam Bradford, Jon Cooper, Brody Eldridge, Nic Harris and Gerald McCoy have been named Oklahoma's team captains for the upcoming football season.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-18-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

At long last, the final piece is in place.
    HUbison and Rambunctious like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    At long last, the final piece is in place.
    Now that's funny.

You guys are harsh... lol Anyone that can help keep Bradford from taking hits is welcome.
    I posted that picture of Sam hanging-out with Long... there is a reason he's not hanging-out with anyone on this O -line.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The Rams are a bit shallow at WR possition, least till we find out how well the Rams did during the draft that is. But I see Potentual here. Brody Eldridge can catch the ball from the artical, so that is partly a threat an opponent has to account for. Further he has depth potentuals at TE AND FB-- I seem to not hear any complaints from S. Jackson when the Rams had a FB. Depending on the extent of the contract this could be a win-win for the Rams

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, let's see:

OVERVIEW

Eldridge is a big, powerful blocking tight end who has very limited receiving skills and lacks the speed to be any kind of threat downfield. He has struggled to stay healthy for a full season and missed time due to a neck injury during his senior year. He also spent some time at guard to take advantage of his size and pass-blocking skills. He can be a powerful blocker once he gets his hands on opponents but also can be late off the snap and often gets beaten by quick defensive linemen. He could get a look as either an offensive lineman or tight end but will need time to develop.

Strengths
    Eldridge has ideal height and bulk. Very powerful blocker who generates a strong push and gets his hands inside the defender's pads. Effective pass blocker who was utilized at guard in college. Fights every play and shows a bit of a mean streak.

Weaknesses
    Battled a neck injury as a senior at Oklahoma, and durability is a concern. Does not have the speed or ball skills to be a weapon as a pass catcher at the next level. Fires off the line a bit late and struggles to block more athletic defenders
    Brody Eldridge, TE

Height: 6-5 Weight: 265 Age: 25
    Born: 3/31/1987 La Cygne , KS
    College: Oklahoma
    Experience: 2nd season

We'll see.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-21-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Format

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Im a bit surprised the Colts let him go to be honest. They did draft 2 receiving tight ends, but surely having him around as no.3 and a pure blocking tight end would provide some benefit. Excellent pick up in my opinion....

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    Im a bit surprised the Colts let him go to be honest. They did draft 2 receiving tight ends, but surely having him around as no.3 and a pure blocking tight end would provide some benefit. Excellent pick up in my opinion....
    especially since they lost dallas clark and jacob tamme... My cousin who is a colts fan isnt a happy camper right now.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Sounds like another TOUGH man for the roster. Great news for Sam Bradford, and could well be another piece to the jigsaw. One things for certain, the Rams are a much tougher team today, than at any point in the last decade. The beautiful thing to me, is we have only just got started.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

We've certainly acquired enough stiffs at the tight end position over the last few years to where any skepticism/muted enthusiasm over this acquisition is justified. Hopefully some of these minor signings will prove fruitful to us, but until I see production on the field I cannot get overly excited by another team's castoffs.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Rams claimed TE Brody Eldridge off waivers from the Colts

Ever heard the phrase 'one mans junk is another mans treasure'?

I doubt you'll see the production you want, but he may provide a solid block that saves Bradford from a nasty hit, or opens up a lane for S-Jax to bring it the distance, he will do the nasty stuff and do it very well...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk