RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Rams coach says it's 'no-excuse time' after 0-3 start to year

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --His unit has given up the most points in the NFL this season, so it should come as no surprise that St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is fielding questions about his his job security just like coach Scott Linehan.

Linehan, Haslett and rest of the Rams' entire coaching staff is the hot seat after the team's woeful 0-3 start.

"I don't worry about things like that," Haslett said after being asked if he was worried about losing his job. "I have other worries right now."

Haslett's defense has given up an NFL-leading 116 points this season. They're on pace to give up 619 points, which would shatter the NFL record of 533 points allowed in a season by the 1981 Baltimore Ravens.

The Rams have given up more points in their first three games than the 2000 Rams, who surrendered 94 points in their first three games en route to allowing a club-record 471 points.

Asked about being disappointed in his defense, Linehan said, ''Losing is disappointing. The way our team is playing is disappointing, the way we are coaching, everything."

Linehan then pointed out that the defense has been together for three years under Haslett. Offensive coordinator Al Saunders is in his first season with the Rams.

"We're at the no-excuse time," Linehan said. "It's time to perform. I don't think anyone has ever made excuses, but it's easy to say first-year this and second-year that. We're in the third year of a system with players that we've picked to play within the system. We have to go out and perform and play. If need be, we need to go out and shut people down, too. That's the way this business is. It might sound kind of cruel and to the point, but it is what it is."

The Rams surrendered 245 rushing yards in their 37-13 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

The Rams were gashed for seven running plays of 10 or more yards.

"A lot of missed tackles," Haslett said. "That was the main thing with the run defense. It wasn't the run fits, it wasn't guys getting off blocks, we just didn't tackle well."

Haslett said the Rams work on tackling in practice.

"I don't think anybody does live tackling, but we practice tackling every day," Haslett said. "We tackle bags, we tackle each other. We don't bring them to the ground, we wrap up. Obviously, you can't tackle your own offensive guys because you can't have anybody hurt."

Haslett said he believes tackling is more mental than physical.

"I think it is more a will to tackle," Haslett said. "If you want to get there and make the tackle, you'll get there and make the tackle. You have to more guys, like those sharks, getting to the ball. You're going to miss some tackles. If one guy misses, another guy should be there."

Asked if the Rams have any sharks right now, Haslett replied, ''I don't think so."

Linehan also said that good defenses swarm to the ball.

"To me great defense is when you have 11 guys running to the ball and it seems like there's 12 or 13 guys on the field," Linehan said. "When I think of great defenses that I've gone against as an offensive coordinator, it just seems like everyone is running to the ball."

The Rams' defensive problems extend beyond stopping the run as they rank 30th in pass defense and have yet to get a takeaway. Their only takeaway this season was recorded on special teams off a muffed punt by the Seahawks.

Several Rams defensive players talked after the loss to the Seahawks about how the unit has lost its confidence.

"I think that happens when you're not playing well," Haslett said. "I think somehow we have to rally ourselves and try to get back doing the things early in camp and even at the end of last year, when guys are flying around and having fun. Right now, we're not doing that."

For the second straight week, Linehan talked about making lineup changes.

The only change last week was Fakhir Brown starting at cornerback in place of Tye Hill, who ended up playing a lot in the team's nickel and dime pass defenses.

"Yeah, I think we'd be crazy if we didn't try something different because what we've done for the first three weeks is not working," Linehan said.

Haslett said any lineup changes are up to Linehan.

"It's always up to the head coach to make the final decision," Haslett said. "If you make them, you have make them with the interest that it is going to help you in the long term, it's not just a short-term fix. There is always things I would like to have done, but sometimes you don't have the people to do it. Again, we'll take a look at it and see if there is somebody who can do better than the 11 guys we have playing right now."

The Rams are eight-point underdogs against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. The Bills have the 13th ranked offense in the NFL.

Haslett said he's never faced a challenge as big as righting the Rams' defensive ship in his 16 seasons coaching in the NFL.

"It's obviously its a great challenge for myself, and for these guys," Haslett said. "This will show what the character is the next couple of weeks, what kind of character we have on defense. We're going to have to fight through this and get back to the level we should be. We'll see."

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams coach says it's 'no-excuse time' after 0-3 start to year

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    We're in the third year of a system with players that we've picked to play within the system.
    If that's the case, I wonder if he's considered the possibility that the system needs changing?

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

BY STEVE KORTE

"We're at the no-excuse time," Linehan said. "It's time to perform. I don't think anyone has ever made excuses, but it's easy to say first-year this and second-year that. We're in the third year of a system with players that we've picked to play within the system. We have to go out and perform and play. If need be, we need to go out and shut people down, too. That's the way this business is. It might sound kind of cruel and to the point, but it is what it is."
    It was no excuse time in week 1

It was time to perform in week 1

Linehans words mean nothing to me, he doesnt even believe what he is saying.

Time to go and dont let the door hit you on the way out.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

"I think that happens when you're not playing well," Haslett said. "I think somehow we have to rally ourselves and try to get back doing the things early in camp and even at the end of last year, when guys are flying around and having fun. Right now, we're not doing that."
    It's the scheme, stupid!!! You rush four guys, who rarely get near the QB and drop everyone else back in soft zones and you wonder why they're not flying around and having fun?!?!?!? How about blitzing more than 2% of the time, you red-headed moron!!!

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

There i agree---Blitz Blitz. We have nothing to lose but another loss. But at least we would curve the point racking. This coaching staff is in a melting pot come sunday at home. If Buffalo routs us again. I guarantee Chip will fire coaches. It's the best timing and that let's another coach come in and set some changes for a week and a half.
    THE FIELD GOAL

sig51 is offline Registered User

Haslett is talking crap when he says he isn't worried, I seen him in the game against Seattle and the shear terror on the mans face when Julius Jones was craving up his defense, he knew he was a dead man walking then. Linehan has to know it too.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I think they just cut and paste from a "loss speech template" they have there in the office.

"It's a must-win situation, blah blah blah, show our character, blah blah blah, we've been practicing hard to right this ship, we have some new exotic blitzes drawn up blah blah blah'"

majorram is offline Registered User

Anybody getting tired of this kind of crap?????... week in week out, no more excuses..... its not going to right the ship............they know this WE know this

steve
    "The breakfast Club"