Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams collapse in 2nd half and lose to Seahawks 23-20; The Good, the bad and the ugly

The hapless and pathetic Rams snatched defeat from the jaws of victory today by collapsing on both sides of the ball in the second half to lose 23-20 to Seattle before a half empty and moribund crowd in The St Louis Morgue (aka The Ed Dome). The Rams rallied in the second half to keep alive their hopes for the #2 overall pick in the draft by failing to run the ball at all (7 carries for 10 yards) or pass effectively (9-15 for 80 yards), while allowing the decimated Seahawks offense line to run up 257 late yards and two crucial drives at the end of game to secure the victory. After dominating on both sides of the ball in a well played first half (marred only by one Stanley fumble which Seattle returned for a TD), the Rams came out as flat as week old soda sitting in an uncapped bottle.

The Good

The first half was excellent Rams football, albeit against another terrible team with a backup qb and mising their all pro left tackle (walter jones). The rams had a 20-10 lead in time of possession, led 17-7 and outgained seattle 243-76. We had 3 sacks, Jackson ran for 81 yards, bulger was 10-17-122 and a nice 31 yard td to Holt. The offensive line pushed adequately and gave bulger time to throw and the defense pitched a shutout, with the only seattle points coming on one lousy play by stanley.

Donnie Jones HAS to make the pro bowl. 5-273 with a net of about 50, including one 68 yard bomb.

The Rams scored their first rushing td in 200 attempts. We also had our best drive of the year, a 97 yard, 18 play, 8 minute td drive that by some miracle resulted in a rare red zone conversion for a td (we are about 7 tds in 22 trips to the red zone this year, which is pathetic in the extreme).

Bulger and Holt were on the same page in the first half 4-64 including a nice td and a huge 4th down conversion.

Nice looking flea flicker with a wildcat formation, pitch to Looker, who threw to bulger, who got both feet down on the sideline.

Craft played great today, three nice blitzes with a sack and two forced fumbles, one of which he recovered

Two big hits by Bartell and a HUGE pass breakup in the end zone which saved four points when we held for a field goal.
    Great pressure by the DLINE in the first half, including three sacks.

We scored a td on our first drive for the first time in 9 games with a 9 play 77 yard drive that featured a heavy dose of jackson and avery.

The Bad

See above for description on the epic second half collapse. Jackson's 7 carrier for 10 yards says it all. Did he run out of gas? Who knows. But even Ray Charles can see that if you take away jackson, our offense is a disgrace.

Incognito had four penalties and allowed a sack. What a mess.
    How does halsett challenge a play at the goal line in the 4th quarter when we have no time outs left and even if he wins the challenge its 3rd down on the one inch line. Stupid call.
    We run wide too often on third and short. Run jackson up the middle.
    Two HUGE blown coverages today, one which cost us the game and one which led to a seattle td after a 39 yard completion. One was OJ, i dont know who blew the other one.
    Why is jackson on the bench with 240 left in the game?

The Ugly

Two terrible turnovers, one by Stanley, on which seattle scored a td and one by Klop, which really hurt us as well.

Darby missed an obvious read on 3rd and 1 when bulger threw the ball to him and he was in the wrong place.

The 3 and out with no time off the clock on our last drive was terribly ugly. With the game on the line, the ball needs to be in Jackson's hands. He was on the bench for the first two plays. I dont care if Darby is better in pass protection, i am not paying steven jackson 20 million guaranteed to sit on the sideline with 2 minutes left in a tie game.

Summary

We have a legitimate shot at finishing 2-14. The Chargers rally against the chiefs today could hurt us, but by losing to seattle, we assure ourselves of picking ahead of them, which is very important because i think they need an offensive tackle as badly as we do (walter jones is to them what pace is to us and he had major surgery this week). I am trying to find a silver lining in the dark cloud and the draft picks are about the best i can come up with.

Its so hard to understand how we can come out in the second half with a lead at home against a horrible team playing its backups and SH-T the bed so badly. We seem utterly incapable of making any adjustments at halftime and Jackson looks like he has enough stamina for about one half only. We are horribly undisciplined on the offensive line with countless stupid penalties and we dont seem to have anyone to help bulger out even when he is accurate as we almost never make the really tough catch.

To quote my prior posts, the death march continues.....

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams collapse in 2nd half and lose to Seahawks 23-20; The Good, the bad and the u

nice post GC, but I have nothing to add after that game.I am just totally disgusted.

RANDYRAM Guest

Re: Rams collapse in 2nd half and lose to Seahawks 23-20; The Good, the bad and the u

This game is a ringing example of why Jim Haslett has to hit the road also!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Good post. I had very good feelings when we were going into halftime, but after that, they completely disintergrated. How we let them walk all over us in the second half is mind-boggling. Horrible execution.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Just a random thought, because even at half time I sense that we could collapse in the second half . . . could it be that the team lost for the pick?
    I know, I know, they are professionals, and they have to win no matter what . . . but . . . could that have been the game plan?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    How does halsett challenge a play at the goal line in the 4th quarter when we have no time outs left and even if he wins the challenge its 3rd down on the one inch line. Stupid call.
    This just blew my mind. I couldn't believe Haz threw the flag. Our last timeout, even if they had reversed the call the Hags still had only an inch to go and two more downs to make that inch. Did Little talk him into it? where was Jim's head? Maybe no one should answer that ...

blood85 is offline Registered User

Nothings going to change much in 09, unless we really CLEAN house, FROM THE TOP....it's where this crap starts.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Thanks as usual for suffering through another gruesome analysis. This group of clowns are incapable of finishing or adjusting. Call in ServPro and clean it all up. Clean house and start over, then we can look back and say it was like it never happened...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

mh-i is offline Registered User

The Rams again played like the horrible team they are in the 2nd half. They should be locked in a battle for the first pick with the Lions but they couldn't even get that right.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Nothings going to change much in 09, unless we really CLEAN house, FROM THE TOP....it's where this crap starts.
    I hear you ,but I would not look for things to change over night, we could be bad for a while no matter who takes the head coach job.
    :ramlogo:

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    Just a random thought, because even at half time I sense that we could collapse in the second half . . . could it be that the team lost for the pick?
    I know, I know, they are professionals, and they have to win no matter what . . . but . . . could that have been the game plan?
    I understand the sentiment but it's highly unlikely. Remember, the players generally have little interest in playing for a draft pick, especially when you consider that the high draft pick could very well come in and take their job. Everybody on the Rams (Seahawks too for that matter) should be playing their best to secure a spot on the team next year. While the front office probably doesn't mind the loss, their is no benefit to the players in losing the game.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

shower beers is offline Registered User

That's a good point. Everyone on our team should probably have the mindset that they're playing for their job. I personally don't think we tanked the game on purpose.

There is no way we tanked on purpose. We just stink. The players are playing for jobs and MONEY. Many of them are in contract years, even if they arent unrestricted free agents. The players themselves have zero incentive to get a better draft pick- i agree with large ant on that point.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

I understand your point, but I still cannot understand how could we performed so well against Wash, Dallas and NE and not showing up the remainder of the season. More so after putting a good product the first half.
    If I were a lions fan, I would say that we suck and have no talent to do anything, but we played well and played hard those three games. I do believe that we have the talent.
    Just curious to understand those key players that have "guarranteed" money or locked a roster spot for at least another couple of years where the 2nd half no-show.
    Does anybody remember the "bush bowl" between SF, NO and Texas? wasn't Haz the coach back then?

NYRAMFAN, the best explanation is that we are a very different team without steven jackson. He missed several games and that was the end of our season. He is still not physically 100% and he lacks the stamina to compete for a full game. There is no way in the world that we beat washington or dallas without jackson at full strength.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast