Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Rams and the coming 2014 QB controversy...

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

The Rams and the coming 2014 QB controversy...

You know it's going to happen - and so do I. So, why not go ahead and start the discussion?

The Rams coaching staff got a slap in the face from reality last week. All teams prepare for their starting QB to miss one or two games, just in case they get a bruised rib, or twist their ankle. However, very few teams prepare for a season-ending injury to take out their QB with barely a third of the season behind them. The teams that DO prepare for this usually have a seasoned veteran eating up a chunk of the cap, hoping that their name will never be called. Other teams put all their stock in a big-name QB, and pray that everything will be fine.

The Rams are one of the teams that risks everything on a big name QB. Notice I say "risks", not "risked". The reason for this is that it is NOT the first time a situation like this has occurred. Think back to 1999...the Rams sign a great QB, one that would lead us out of the cesspool of mediocrity or worse, and make the Rams respectable again. Then, before the season ever started, it was ended by Rodney Harrison. When Trent Green went down, EVERYONE knew it was over for the Rams.

Except it wasn't. We had a guy on the roster (he hadn't been cut yet) that had really made an impression on Vermiel in 1998. His stats show just how good he was - 4/11 for 39 yards, a 36.4 completion rate, and 0 TD's. Yeah. Our season was over...except...

It wasn't. That really lousy QB from '98 was Kurt Warner.

That isn't going to happen in 2013. We don't have a Kurt Warner available. We have Kellen Clemens, Brady Quinn, and Austin Davis. Personally, I think Davis is the only one of the three that might help us come close to a winning season. We only need to win 5 games to hit that 8-8, but let's be real. It probably won't happen.

What WILL happen is an offseason that will cause the next QB controversy in the NFL. The Rams will be forced to address the backup QB issue, simply because of too many "unknowns". True, they say that Sam will be back in 2014, and he will be our QB. But, I know from experience that knee repair surgery doesn't always end up as expected. Sometimes, the surgeon finds more damage than was suspected. Other times, the knee doesn't heal as expected. Hopefully, Sam can have his surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews...he's good. Really good. The only problem is that he's the Redskins team doctor - and I don't know how the NFL feels about one team's sawbones cutting on another team's players. (Maybe we can trade them back one of their picks if he does a great job on Sam's knee, getting him back in shape before next season...).

What will end up happening is Sam will get the surgery, and begin physical therapy. We will hear the usual prognosis, and the expected timetable for recovery.

What we won't hear is the conversations going on in the Rams offices. I can guarantee you that they will be discussing our quarterback situation. They would be anyway, but now, it's going to get a bit intense.

With Sam's contract running out in 2015, and his record not living up to the promise of a number one overall pick, there's going to be some hard decisions to be made. Sam can't prove his worth this season, so he can't get his desired asking price. He won't be getting any offers from other teams that would be close to what he wants, so...there will be negotiations.

Now, the need for a backup quarterback will be in the front of everyone's minds. I see two possible things happening. Either the Rams will be drafting a QB next April, or we will be trading for a serviceable backup. Since I don't really see us trading for a backup, that means draft...I don't see any potential free agents worth considering. The only thing about drafting a QB is that it opens up a can of worms.

The Rams now realize just how important it is to have a quality backup QB. They know Clemens won't be good for more than one or two games before he ends up looking like Tony Banks. They know that Quinn will probably be worth 2-3 more. OK, that takes us up to week 11 or 12. Then we have Davis - can he pull us along for 4 or 5 more games? More importantly, can any of those 3 WIN a game for us?

I don't see the Rams signing ANY of them again next season. What I DO see is us using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB...which, if I am correct, would probably lead us to Murray (Georgia), McCarran (Alabama), or Matthews (Cornell). I don't like the idea of using a high pick on a backup QB, but I have a feeling that someone will panic and decide that we really need a quality backup.

So what happens next? Well, the people who think Sam should have been benched (which, ironically, are NEVER going to be satisfied with ANY QB that the Rams have) will be talking and floating rumors. Sam's performance when he returns will be rusty at first; this is expected from most of us. However, if we bring in a young, eager, flexible QB, some people will whine about how we need to bench Bradford.

If we don't get a backup who can win, why have a backup? And if we do get a backup who CAN win - especially through the draft - why shouldn't we let him and Bradford battle it out for the right to start?
    ramisami likes this.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams and the coming 2014 QB controversy...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If I'm sitting on the board and Marcus Mariota or Teddy Bridgewater are available, I pull the trigger. If not, I go BPA. There is a LOT of talent in the top 5/10 in this draft. It's a shame our team isn't performing up to standards. We have so much talent and yet we just can't seem to develop it.

I'd take Bridgewater because to me he is a superior prospect to Bradford when coming out. I think Bridgewater compares to Aaron Rodgers (inside the pocket) favourably. If not Teddy, I go Mariota. Mariota represents what the NFL is today. He can help mask an ineffective offensive line, help our RB's through his threat of running, and he can throw it too. The NFL is changing and the mobile QB's seem to be finding a home.

Sam has improved tremendously. But to me, unless you put him on a team with Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Marshall Faulk, and Orlando Pace, don't even bother thinking about a superbowl.
    lostsoul likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

MACD is offline Registered User

Are you talking about the Bridgewater who lost to the University of Central Florida? And the Sam Bradford that won the Heisman?
    RamDez, DE_Ramfan and ramisami like this.

look, they will of course try to bring Bradford back for all they put into him and see if still does well.

but they need to draft or find a free agent number 2 and these 3 present guys can fight for a 3rd spot. Having just 2 QBs is stupid. In a best case scenario, number 2 should be holding extra point snaps and number 3 a clipboard until otherwise asked to step in.

citr92 is offline Registered User

mariota would be a HORRIBLE fit for this system...not happening

and no, he's not what the nfl is today

there's a difference between a mobile qb and a spread/running qb

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Are you talking about the Bridgewater who lost to the University of Central Florida? And the Sam Bradford that won the Heisman?
    Troy Smith and Tebow also won the Heisman...your point?

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    What? I think you're getting confused. TEDDY
    BRIDGEWATER played great against UCF. It was LOUISVILLE that lost the game.

Winning a Heisman doesn't mean NFL success. Usually far from it.

Look, I like Bradford. I liked him before he was a Ram.
    But the fact is, he's had major shoulder surgery. Now he's gonna have major knee surgery. And in his four years as a pro, he's improved marginally. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Rams are gonna think hard about their QB future this off season.
    renrawtruk and lostsoul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    What? I think you're getting confused. TEDDY
    BRIDGEWATER played great against UCF. It was LOUISVILLE that lost the game.

Winning a Heisman doesn't mean NFL success. Usually far from it.

Look, I like Bradford. I liked him before he was a Ram.
    But the fact is, he's had major shoulder surgery. Now he's gonna have major knee surgery. And in his four years as a pro, he's improved marginally. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Rams are gonna think hard about their QB future this off season.
    while i'm not a huge bridgewater fan...it's really annoying when people blame the loss on a qb that played just fine, almost 400 yards passing and 2 TDs with no interceptions....and they played a ucf team that's pretty decent

now i'm sure the rams would HAVE to look at a qb simply cause bradford is injured

but again...it's not like bradford had a decent team to play with in his career yet

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I predict the only controversy will be on fan message boards like this one.

Also, we didn't know we had a Kurt Warner in 99 until we realized we had a Kurt Warner. Savvy?

Who knows, maybe Clemens... ok I can't type that with a straight face... maybe Davis will surprise us.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Just look at what the Whiners did. They had their QB but when their prospect started to look good they dumped their old QB (and got something for him) and now they have a new QB at a Cap friendly number. It seems to be working out OK for them.(I hate to admit that)

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post

but again...it's not like bradford had a decent team to play with in his career yet
    Enough with the excuses. Stop it already!

Judging by where they were drafted, the same could be said for RG3 and Andrew Luck when they came out last year, but both of them are already pro-bowl caliber QBs and have already led their teams to the playoffs in exactly, 1 season. This after joining teams that combined to go 7-25 the previous year.

So again, stop it with the excuses.

Luck is on schedule for a repeat performance, and RG3 is currently rounding Washington into shape despite the poor play of their defense early on.
    renrawtruk likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

Judging by where they were drafted, the same could be said for RG3 and Andrew Luck when they came out last year, but both of them are already pro-bowl caliber QBs and have already led their teams to the playoffs in exactly, 1 season. This after joining teams that combined to go 7-25 the previous year.

Luck is on schedule for a repeat performance, and RG3 is currently rounding Washington into shape despite the poor play of their defense early on.
    I get to see a lot of Colts action living here in Indy and I can tell you two things: Luck is probably better than Bradford but the Colts were a hell of a lot better off at 2-14 than the Rams were at 1-15 when both QBs were drafted. One team was in the playoffs and the other team was like 2-14. The talent level on this Rams offense has been abysmal.

And despite poor play from the Rams defense, Sam was outplaying RG3.

I know comparing QBs sounds like an apple to another apple but it isn't. You're leaving out the other 10 apples in the basket.
    HUbison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

As much as sports can be cut throat, I'll say you are pushing too hard too fast.
    It does take time to develop. Just because those two did well early on does not mean they are that great or it will be sustained for a long period. In RG3 and Kaeps case it was quick fix that worked great for a year from shock value but may level out soon enough. There are many who need the time.... Ive always been what you call a -practice player- in what ever I do in life. And theres plenty of pro athletes who survive and thrive the same way...its QB, no way in hell you just jump in and do it no matter how good you are thought to be. ...but in Bradfords case that injury may be thing that changes both his future and the Rams to completely different roads...i'm ultimately saying you cant compare the QBs futures based on a 1st year/one year of what looked like success....yes they succeeded but in the parity era its hard to tell if someones a flash in the pan or consistent, especially at QB.

....the Redskins are 2 and 4 anyway right now...and play Denver Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    As much as sports can be cut throat, I'll say you are pushing too hard too fast.
    It does take time to develop. Just because those two did well early on does not mean they are that great or it will be sustained for a long period. In RG3 and Kaeps case it was quick fix that worked great for a year from shock value but may level out soon enough. There are many who need the time.... Ive always been what you call a -practice player- in what ever I do in life. And theres plenty of pro athletes who survive and thrive the same way...its QB, no way in hell you just jump in and do it no matter how good you are thought to be. ...but in Bradfords case that injury may be thing that changes both his future and the Rams to completely different roads...i'm ultimately saying you cant compare the QBs futures based on a 1st year/one year of what looked like success....yes they succeeded but in the parity era its hard to tell if someones a flash in the pan or consistent, especially at QB.

....the Redskins are 2 and 4 anyway right now...and play Denver Sunday
    two bad defenses woo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast