Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Rams and the coming 2014 QB controversy...

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams and the coming 2014 QB controversy...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's clear at this point that the Rams need a legitimate back-up quarterback. Whether they acquire one in free agency (Sanchez) or in the draft, whatever. I think the only downside I see is that having a legit back-up is only going to give more fuel to the fires of those who want to cut/bench Sam, because then they'll have an actual other option to point to. If you're a person who feels the Bradford discussion topics have been obnoxious so far, wait until that new element is in play.
    LOL.... do we really want/need the incredible duo of Schottenheimer AND Sanchez here?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's clear at this point that the Rams need a legitimate back-up quarterback. Whether they acquire one in free agency (Sanchez) or in the draft, whatever. I think the only downside I see is that having a legit back-up is only going to give more fuel to the fires of those who want to cut/bench Sam, because then they'll have an actual other option to point to. If you're a person who feels the Bradford discussion topics have been obnoxious so far, wait until that new element is in play.
    I'd like to think that Fisher wouldn't bench Sam out of fan pressure, but out of just not playing well, nothing else (I know you weren't necessarily implying that, let the "fans" talk). If he's a detriment to the team--which, most recently, hasn't been whatsoever (quite the contrary)--then I say OK let's try something different. Great. We at least have a damn option. I'd love to see Clemens light it up, but as of right now he's not what I'd call a "legitimate backup."

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I might be on board with the premise of the original post if I thought that there was an Andrew Luck type QB in this year's draft.

From what I've seen, there isn't.

Bridgewater (who, absent a trade up, will be gone before the Rams pick), has nice skills and is putting up great numbers against mediocre competition. I don't see exceptional skills, though, that make me think "sure thing" with him.

Hundley has the opposite problem. He often plays in situations in which his offense (particularly his banged up OL) is overmatched. As a result, his numbers have been inconsistent. Again, a lot to like there, but not enough to bet the farm.

Beyond those two, every QB in the draft has a major question mark (or several). So, in my mind, the Rams need a better #2, and should be able to get one in the draft, but are unlikely to draft someone who could challenge Sam in the short run.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I might be on board with the premise of the original post if I thought that there was an Andrew Luck type QB in this year's draft.

From what I've seen, there isn't.

Bridgewater (who, absent a trade up, will be gone before the Rams pick), has nice skills and is putting up great numbers against mediocre competition. I don't see exceptional skills, though, that make me think "sure thing" with him.

Hundley has the opposite problem. He often plays in situations in which his offense (particularly his banged up OL) is overmatched. As a result, his numbers have been inconsistent. Again, a lot to like there, but not enough to bet the farm.

Beyond those two, every QB in the draft has a major question mark (or several). So, in my mind, the Rams need a better #2, and should be able to get one in the draft, but are unlikely to draft someone who could challenge Sam in the short run.
    Last Season with a exceptional RB & a top dependable WR/TE ( Jon Franklin & Joe Fauria ) he (Brett Hundley) had very consistant numbers... Your right AvR his options this season are not as consistant nor is his line and even the defense lost some high end talent. I was amazed they were in top 10 for a while they played a bit over their heads to start the season. It is back to earth time for UCLA lately, Sadley! I still think Hundley will be a dang good pro if he gets the right set up. Even go so far as to say it will be kinda sad he leaves school so early would love to see him go to junior at least but he did reshirt first season.
    Last edited by Randart; -10-28-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And there's Bradford right in the middle of all the NFC's "Pro Bowl caliber" QBs.
    I think if that's the comparison you're going to make, it's more applicable to compare him to their "Pro Bowl caliber" seasons.

When you do that...

1) Of the 12 times NFC quarterbacks have been elected to the Pro Bowl since Sam has been in the league, only three times were quarterbacks elected with efficiency numbers equal to or lower than Sam's this year. One of them was Drew Brees, who was voted to his fifth Pro Bowl in 2010 with a QB rating of 90.9. Did reputation and previous performances play a factor? Another was Cam Newton, who had a QB rating of 84.5 but also brought huge rushing numbers to the table.

2) While Sam ranks 5th out of 8 when you compare his numbers to those of previous Pro Bowl quarterbacks this season, he ranks 10th of 13 when you compare them to the years when they made those Pro Bowls. Not quite as good. But it's worth noting that Sam's efficiency number this season (in limited playing time) is within 10 points of the five guys ranked ahead of him. So it's not like he's very far off from the types of performances that warranted fan recognition in the recent past. For instance, Matt Ryan made the Pro Bowl in 2010 with a QB rating of 91, Brees made it in 2012 with a 96.3, and Manning made it in 2011 with a 92.9. This season, Sam wasn't far off from those numbers, which is very encouraging, especially when you consider there were still some sizable obstacles that hindered the Rams' offense this year.

Note: One thing that's interesting about 2010 is that the NFC passers weren't particularly impressive. Aaron Rodgers boasted a 101.2 QB rating that led the conference but was snubbed from the Pro Bowl. Vick made it with a 100.2, but Freeman was snubbed with a 95.9 rating. The next highest rating was Ryan's 91.0 and Brees' 90.9. Of the Top 15 most efficient passers in 2010, only six came from the NFC. Sorry, tangent...

Anyways, it's a shame we won't get to find out if Bradford could have sustained his early season efficiency over the course of the entire year. Of course, since there are currently eight NFC QBs with better efficiency ratings right now, Sam probably wasn't destined for Pro Bowl glory this season. But as has been discussed in other threads, he was definitely on the upswing.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    LOL.... do we really want/need the incredible duo of Schottenheimer AND Sanchez here?
    I'm not a Sanchez fan by any stretch, but he's had starting experience in this offense and likely will accept a back-up role. You'll be hard pressed to find a better FA option who comes with those factors, IMO.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123