Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams to Contenders: Make us an offer!

If I was Bill Devaney, I'd let it be known among league GMs that the Rams are open to trade offers before the deadline in 2 weeks. Here are the criteria that I would insist upon:

1. The purpose of any trade would be to rid the Rams' roster of past-their-prime veterans, of cap dollars, or of players who will be FAs in the near future (or a combination of these categories). Potential candidates might include Orlando Pace, Alex Barron, L'Roi Glover, Leonard Little, Corey Chavous and Trent Green. I'd also offer Brian Leonard if anyone (Steelers?) might be interested.

2. The Rams would prefer draft choices in return, but if they trade player for player, the players acquired would have to be either young players with favorable cap #s or veterans with expiring contracts.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to Contenders: Make us an offer!

I don't know Av...we may need to keep Barron, Pace, and Little.

Anyone else on that list can go for all I care about. Little can still hit people. Pace is doing pretty good for his age and Barron is noticeably getting better.

Little and Pace are the mentors. Chris Long learned a ton from Leonard Little. No doubt about it. And if Leonard is capable of still making tackles and sacks, keep him around. We can get rid of James Hall for all I care.

But you have a good idea here. I'm sure the Steelers would want Brian Leonard, he hasn't done too much for us anyways. I'm not sure what we can get for Chavous, as every team in the NFL can practically burn him on any given day.

Losing Little or Pace would hurt us this year, no doubt. But come next year, we'd have all that cap room to shop for younger players still in their prime.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think there are better options for the Steelers than Brian Leonard to go after. Shaun Alexander? Or did he retire officially?

Ramsfanbman is offline Registered User

I agree with brian leanord and trent green he was a waste of money bringing him back and i could see gettin rid of barron if we got a pro but not a draft choice. but letting little go would be a big mistake till the offseason if long can prove him self but idk man we need something so lets hope they figure it out thats there job and the reason there riddin bentleys and were 0-4

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Losing Little or Pace would hurt us this year, no doubt. But come next year, we'd have all that cap room to shop for younger players still in their prime.
    I think Little could be a solid player for 3+ more years, especially if they plan on limiting his reps to passing downs, which is the impression I am getting ...

We could instantly elevate this team by cutting Chavous letting younger blood play ...

I read Adam Schefter reported we will be likely dumping Bennett, Hall, and Looker at the end of the season. We've got two equal or better receivers, in Stanley and Caddell, sitting on our practice squad right now. I am from Alabama and let me tell you that I will vouch for it when I say Caddell can play. EXTREMELY underrated, stands 6-2, 190, and runs a 4.39 with a 38 inch vertical leap ...

Look at the increase in intensity with our young line last week. I love it!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Why isnt holt on your list.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TKnight39 is offline Registered User

I'd hate to lose Holt but he will end up retiring before the Rams go to another Superbowl. I'd trade him to a contender for a low 1st or high 2nd. He still has 3-4 good years left in him.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TKnight39 View Post
    I'd hate to lose Holt but he will end up retiring before the Rams go to another Superbowl. I'd trade him to a contender for a low 1st or high 2nd. He still has 3-4 good years left in him.
    As much as I would personally hate to see Holt go (heck, my dog is named Holt) I'd take a trade for a 1st or a 2nd in a heartbeat (can't necessarily determine whether it would be high or low though). The problem is, I don't think there is any team out there that would offer that high for him.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

I think we still need Torry. He's not what he once was, but he is still capable of being a very productive receiver. Also, he is one of the team's leaders at this point.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Don't see how we will need Holt . This team is not a player away from the SB here. They are in a hole that is gonna need a back hoe ,not a shovel to tunnel out of. Are main studs are on the downsides of their careers. Pace Holt are to populars are about done. we got rid of Bruce ....Why? Antway, Bulger is not off limits either.Him and Jackson have big Contracts that are gonna kill us soon. These 2 seem to be players who need everything to be perfect to function. That is not what football is about. It's about making something happen to change the course of the game.People say Bulger can't do anything because he is running for his life, Bulger can't run. that might be his downfall . Jackson is great when he is moving full speed, but not behind the line.Such a big man who goes down easy from what I have seen. When he doesn't have a full steam ahead going. hawaii 50 is a possiblity.He is to prone to being hurt. This could go on for days(6 took stick,6 took spray)anybody old enough here to remember that commercial? Over $100 million on Bulger and Jackson really scares me. By the time this team is good again, these 2 will be done. this is very dissapointing, but so getting scored on by more than 30 points a game. We are bad and no one on thsi team is exempt from being thrown in the trade baiter!!!!!!
    Last edited by theodus69; -10-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont see rebuilding part way. You either do it to improve for the future or you dont. Pace is still a very productive guy. I dont see how he is in a different boat than holt. He may be in a bit worse shape physically, but i think torry is one knee injury away from done. I also think that trading holt might actually get a better draft pick in return than people think.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this: Need him to do what? To help us win four games instead of three games? That isnt worth a #2 pick to me. It will take us a couple of years to turn it around. By that point torry will be gone and we will have gotten nothing for him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

whilst it would be nice to think we could get something for our lesser skilled players..no team in the NFL is gonna be charitable to another NFL team..so we need to offer players of value to get anything..Pace seems to be healthy for the first time in since before the Linny era..and at 32 he could possibly have 5 or 6 years left in the NFL...if we gonna pick up Micheal Oher or Eugene Monroe in the draft then id hate to see one of them kicking his heels for that length of time..or converting to RT for a few years (ala barron) to then have to convert back and hope he can get back to a LT again...with Pace its a tricky one..i believe we could get a decent pick out of trading him,but then A) we`d have to forget about any other position than LT with our first round pick and what happens if we win a few games this season and end up with say..a 8th overall pick,which might take us out of position to pick up either Oher or Monroe?
    B) Bulger has played scared behind our line with Pace in it..imagine how he`d feel playing 12 games without him in it!

if we trade Pace i think Barron must stay...i know he`s not played upto our expectations...but he`s not totally useless..and seems to be improving slowly yes but it seems to be happening nonetheless!

okay so moving onto L.L. he would probably get the same value as Pace in a trade..perhaps a lil less as he`s a year older...LL on the other hand,seems to me has not slowed down with age atall..he gets injured now and again..but when he comes back they dont seem to have affected his play..he was a beast against the bills!

Holt hasn`t played like the player he was not so long ago..and im not sure off the top of my head when his contract runs out,but i dont see him signing a new contract with us..think he got his heart set on going to Carolina or another contender...id be fine with him seeing out his contract with us as he still has some good plays left in him,but could live with him being traded for a first day pick also.

Pisa..got a great heart for the game and the Rams..but his play is going downhill fast..he is relatively young and could see teams who havent watched him closely in the last year or so..rolling the dice for him...in some places like New England who dont ask their players to do anything they not good at..he could still end up having a nice career!

Chavous? dont think we could get much for him atall..but hell,whatever we could get would be worth more than having him on the roster..perhaps we could say.."Corey if you retire now,we`ll give you the recently vacated assistant secondary coaches job?" theres no doubting the guy knows what it takes to play good in the secondary,but i just dont think he has it physically to do it himself anymore!

theres a few others that id trade if we got any offers but cant be bothered at this point to go thro them all..basically tho..the only ones id put on my "untouchable" list would be Jackson,A.C,Bartell,Atogwe,Spoon,Ryan,Bell & this years draft class..

itsguud is offline Registered User

It really doeen't matter how many draft picks we get, until we get a scouting crew and player personnel guy in here who can actually draft good players then trading our good players for picks means nothing. Don't try and argue that devenay is a football god, cause last years draft was hardly better then any previous years IMO as of yet.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Look who Holt had to play for. I can't fathom getting rid of Holt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast