eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams Continue Their Futility

Rams Lose 36-17, Continue Their Futility
    By Jeff Gordon

The Rams needed to make a stand Sunday to show their fans – and themselves – that progress is coming with the New Regime.

They failed dismally. Some faces changed in this defeat, but familiar problems remained.

The Rams staggered to their 13th loss in a row and 30th in 35 games, falling to the Packers 36-17 in their home opener at the Edward Jones Dome on Sunday.

“I was disappointed with the result, but I wasn’t disappointed with the effort,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said after the game, repeating his familiar refrain.

With a horrific offensive start, the Rams fell behind 16-0 less than six minutes into the second quarter. They got a spark when quarterback Kyle Boller replaced starter Marc Bulger — who departed with a bruised shoulder.

The Rams fought back to cut Green Bay’s lead to 23-17 . . . and then their comeback bid ran out of steam.

The Rams got two TD receptions by tight end Daniel Fells, 163 total yards from Steven Jackson, 187 return yards from Danny Amendola and a 53-yard field by Josh Brown.

And now the bad news:

Bulger and Jackson turned the ball over with first-quarter fumbles. Both mishaps put the Packers into scoring position.
    Brown had a 48-yard field goal attempt blocked.
    Despite his two TD passes, Boller finished with a dreary passer rating of 75.2. He misfired on 15 of 31 passes and threw a late interception.
    Working against the makeshift Packers line, the Rams front seven didn’t apply much pass pressure. These guys let Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers break containment and scramble for 40 yards and a touchdown.
    Overall, the Rams defense allowed 402 yards as Rodgers posted a passer rating of 126.9. He kept bombing away, hitting one big play after another in the Rams secondary.
    “You try to bounce back after those big plays, but they kill you,” Spagnuolo said.

Top Rams wide receiver Laurent Robinson left the game with an ankle injury and starting safety James Butler suffered an MCL injury. Those injuries left a bad team even more shorthanded.

“Laurent had done some good things for us in some key situations,” Spagnuolo said. “We’ll have to have other guys step up.”

And Butler, Spagnuolo said, “he kind of runs the show back there.”

So the Rams, 0-3, sank to the very bottom of the NFL. The Detroit Lions won today, so there can be no team worse than this one.

Spagnuolo says he doesn’t want to discuss the past, but he has done nothing to this point to break the three-year pattern of failure.

:ramlogo:

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Continue Their Futility

We have MAJOR, MAJOR issues, to state the obvious. I watched this game from start to finish today- another 3 hours of my life I'll never get back- and came to the realization that we'll be lucky if we win 2 games this year. Very little productivity coming from the receivers position. Anemic pass rush, despite Green Bay's mediocre O-Line. Continued inconsistent play from the Offensive Line. Too many big plays allowed by the corners. Fumbles, penalties, sub-par quarterbacking, questionable play calling,the list goes on. No fan can sit here and blame one or two guys for this futility; there is more than enough blame to share.There are guys starting on this team that have no business being on a professional football field, but they're the best we have. You can't make chicken salad out of you know what...

The Colts, the Saints, the Cardinals twice and the Vikings remain on the schedule. It's gonna' get ugly in a hurry, folks.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't think anyone is disappointed with the effort considering what we as fans have put up with the past 2 seasons but at some point that effort needs to turn into wins,effort is a good start now the winning needs to follow.

Toicat is offline Registered User

NJ, I could not agree with you more. I too, watched the Rams play without any sense of coordination or focus. I am not sure where to begin. As I wached the Bears' Devon Hester run, I am wondering why we didn't go for speed in the draft like under Coach Martz.

The Rams have talent, and I do not understand why we can't win at least some football games. See you guy's next week on the road to SF.

Best to all

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Yeah, but the question Toicat is where ? where is the talent on this team?

At positions where its not really a big impact.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Toicat View Post
    NJ, I could not agree with you more. I too, watched the Rams play without any sense of coordination or focus. I am not sure where to begin. As I wached the Bears' Devon Hester run, I am wondering why we didn't go for speed in the draft like under Coach Martz.

The Rams have talent, and I do not understand why we can't win at least some football games. See you guy's next week on the road to SF.

Best to all
    Our downward spiral started with Martz. And who did Martz draft that ever
    went to the probowl? Even more than that, who was drafted under martz that
    still plays in the NFL? Kevin Curtis? And if anyone names the rest there missing
    the point.
    Last edited by BEER; -09-28-2009 at 05:19 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think the following teams are worse than the Rams:

Oakland
    Tampa Bay
    Cleveland

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post

Oakland
    Tampa Bay
    Cleveland
    I have to agree on your pics and I have this to say as well. I believe we have one of the best coaches in the NFL right
    now. The best long term teams build.. Jets, Miami, wont last. But the team
    that builds, and keeps building will be the/ : Eagles, titans, colts, EXE.

Now if the Rams move, Who knows. If they keep Bill and all coaches, when or
    if they move, makes all the diff.

On that point, I would like to say that if the do move, I hope the keep the
    same staff, they are going to make something great of this team. "In Time"

FolsomFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post

Oakland
    Tampa Bay
    Cleveland
    That sounds about right. It is too bad we can't play them! At least it would be competitive.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

well the Titans have got a 0-3 record too...