Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Glenrothes, SCOTLAND
    Posts
    9,979
    Rep Power
    20

    Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Wednesday, Apr. 15 2009

    What if the Rams donít take Virginiaís Eugene Monroe or Baylorís Jason Smith at
    No. 2 overall? What if they have such a high grade on Wake Forest linebacker
    Aaron Curry that heís too good to pass up?

    If thatís the case, where then do they go for tackle help? There are potential
    options in Round Two, where the Rams have the No. 35 overall pick. The four
    most logical second-round candidates are Arizonaís Eben Britton, Connecticutís
    William Beatty, Oklahomaís Phil Loadholt, and South Carolinaís Jamon Meredith.

    But waiting until the second round for a tackle is a potentially risky
    strategy.. Thereís a chance that Britton and Beatty both could go in the first
    round.

    "The guy I like the best, if (the Rams) could trade down, would be the kid from
    Arizona," said a veteran NFC offensive line coach, speaking on the condition of
    anonymity.

    That would be Britton. Even though he came out a year early, Britton (6-6, 309)
    started 37 consecutive games at Arizona. The thing that may keep him out of the
    first round is that he played left tackle only as a junior last season, and
    some question his pass-blocking ability on the left side.

    "To me, you see a little bit more competitiveness about (Britton), toughness
    about him," said the line coach. "And to me, he has more flexibility in the
    lower part of his body than (Jason Smith)."

    A creative writing major, Britton comes from a bright, athletic family. His
    father played basketball at Jacksonville University. His mother is a journalist
    who owns a personal fitness business. His brother, Gus, is an actor, writer,
    filmmaker, and former track athlete.

    Beatty (6-6, 307) didnít blossom until his senior season at UConn, earning
    all-Big East Conference first-team honors. To some, that means he underachieved
    in college. To others, it means he has plenty of upside.

    "To me, Beatty has as much upside as (Monroe and Jason Smith)," the NFC line
    coach said. "In fact, I think he has more upside because the value is youíre
    getting the same player and youíre not spending ($50 million) on the pick. Iíd
    take the linebacker (Curry) myself and hope that Beatty is there in the second
    round."

    Like Monroe and Jason Smith, Beatty is viewed as a high-character prospect.
    Both of his parents are pastors, which helped keep Beatty out of trouble
    growing up.

    "Never any big trouble," Beatty said. "Every little thing I did always went
    back to them."

    Beatty is among four offensive tackles known to be visiting Rams Park this
    week. The others are Monroe, Jason Smith and Mississippiís Michael Oher.
    Loadholt is a load at 6-8, 332 pounds. While some scouts doubt his ability to
    pass block well enough at left tackle in the NFL, he was impressive playing
    right tackle in the Senior Bowl.

    "Iím not sure if heís truly a left tackle, but if you had Alex Barron at left
    tackle, Loadholt to me would be the right tackle," the line coach said. "I
    think he could be a terrific right tackle. Everything that Alex Barron isnít,
    he is. He has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder when he plays. Heís smart
    enough. . . .There is a (work) ethic to finish. There is a burst about him."
    Loadholt, whose favorite all-time player is Jonathan Ogden, concedes heís more
    comfortable at left tackle. But. . .

    "Wherever I have an opportunity to make an impact, wherever I have an
    opportunity to play at, Iím ready to do that," he said.

    Like Loadholt, South Carolinaís Meredith projects as a second_ or third-round
    pick. But heís even more of a projection in the NFL because after playing right
    and left tackle in his earlier college seasons he played guard almost
    exclusively last season as a senior.

    "At first, I thought it was a demotion," Meredith said. "It was a big change.
    Itís a lot different playing guard than tackle. I was able to adjust, not as
    quickly as I would have liked, but I adjusted toward the end of the season and
    started playing a lot better."
    Last edited by Nick; -04-15-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Editing in space


  2. #2
    rams#1 Guest

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    well I hope william Beatty does fall to us in the second round. then we would be able to draft Aaron Curry with the 2nd pick. that would be the perfect scenerio for the rams.

  3. #3
    thoey's Avatar
    thoey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,077
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    I think I heard he got in trouble a couple times so he may not be on our radar, but the little I have read about Loadholt sounds like he is full of passion and desire. I like players that are smart and have a chip on their shoulder.
    This space for rent...

  4. #4
    TheBritishRam's Avatar
    TheBritishRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    I don't want the Rams to take a chance and just hope a tackle falls to them in the second. I'd be worried about a similar run on tackles as happened last year.

  5. #5
    itsguud's Avatar
    itsguud is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    1,255
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    From looking at the LB prospects I would say there is a better chance of us getting two solid guys if we go LB in the first and OT in the 2nd. The OT's in the 2nd although maybe ranked lower then the top OT's IMO are not that much lower. The LB's however take a huge drop off with each one selected. I hope we get Curry or get a trade back for extra high picks and select Malalugua.

  6. #6
    ScottD413 Guest

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    From looking at the LB prospects I would say there is a better chance of us getting two solid guys if we go LB in the first and OT in the 2nd. The OT's in the 2nd although maybe ranked lower then the top OT's IMO are not that much lower. The LB's however take a huge drop off with each one selected. I hope we get Curry or get a trade back for extra high picks and select Malalugua.
    yeah, I agree. If we take an OT in the first round, chances are pretty slim of getting an impact LB in the second. On the other hand, if we get Curry in the first, we may still get a very serviceable OT later on. I think it's worth the risk

  7. #7
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,204
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I don't want the Rams to take a chance and just hope a tackle falls to them in the second. I'd be worried about a similar run on tackles as happened last year.
    Drafting a tackle in the first round second overall doesnt guarantee him being good. There is no clear cut Jake Long in this draft. There are a bunch of second level tackles available to us at the 2nd overall pick. This is why I still say we should have just ate the 6 mil for one more year on Pace and not created a hole because the tackles in this draft just arent jumping out at anyone as being great. We have to draft a tackle somewhere in this draft I just dont think any of them are worthy of the 2nd overall pick. This is just my opinion of course.
    Just Fix It

  8. #8
    TheBritishRam's Avatar
    TheBritishRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Drafting a tackle in the first round second overall doesnt guarantee him being good. There is no clear cut Jake Long in this draft. There are a bunch of second level tackles available to us at the 2nd overall pick. This is why I still say we should have just ate the 6 mil for one more year on Pace and not created a hole because the tackles in this draft just arent jumping out at anyone as being great. We have to draft a tackle somewhere in this draft I just dont think any of them are worthy of the 2nd overall pick. This is just my opinion of course.
    I agree, none of these tackles are up to the standard that Jake Long set last year. But looking at last year's draft there was quite a drop off in talent between Ryan Clady and Duane Brown, out of those two i know who i'd rather have on my team. I think it will be similar when you compare Monroe/Smith to Beatty in a year's time. I think the rams cannot afford to pass on a tackle with their first round pick, I just don't think the quality needed for player to come in and start from day 1 will be available in round 2.

    I think Pace should have been kept on one more year, if nothing else he'd have made a great mentor to a young tackle.

  9. #9
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    A couple things...

    First of all, saying "I hope ____ OT falls to us in the 2nd round so we can pick Curry in the 1st" doesn't make sense to me. How would we know whether an OT will fall to us in the 2nd when we're on the clock at #2 overall?

    Secondly, people keep equating the phrase "there is no clear-cut best tackle" with the phrase "there is no elite tackle" when in fact they are not the same thing. Just because 2 players in the same draft grade out similarly does not mean neither can be a franchise LT. I think the issue with this draft is that there are 2 elite tackles, which might make it a difficult choice. But it is not an argument against taking a LT.

  10. #10
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,703
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    The problem is that the need for offensive tackle is MUCH greater than the need for linebacker because its a MUCH more important position on the field. Furthermore, a "serviceable" offensive tackle isnt going to help much. If the Rams cant run the ball and pass protect, we are absolutely going nowhere, i dont care if curry is the second coming of dick butkus, which he is not.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  11. #11
    C-Mob 71's Avatar
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The problem is that the need for offensive tackle is MUCH greater than the need for linebacker because its a MUCH more important position on the field. Furthermore, a "serviceable" offensive tackle isnt going to help much. If the Rams cant run the ball and pass protect, we are absolutely going nowhere, i dont care if curry is the second coming of dick butkus, which he is not.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Yeah... but what if he is

    I mean, sure we might only score 3 points a game, but if the final score is 3-0, then we still get a W. I have faith that we will find a RIGHT tackle in the second round and he will do just fine, and we will be able to score and move the ball, and they won't.

    When we drafted Barron we drafted him with the plan to move him over to left tackle when Orlando retired. Well that time is now. I think we should give him a shot at being the official left tackle. Give him confidence, and let him know he is the man. I realize he has already played LT when Pace got hurt, but we didn't have as good of a RT that we will find in the second round, ie Loadholt, Beatty, and dare I hope Britton.

  12. #12
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,966
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The problem is that the need for offensive tackle is MUCH greater than the need for linebacker because its a MUCH more important position on the field. Furthermore, a "serviceable" offensive tackle isnt going to help much. If the Rams cant run the ball and pass protect, we are absolutely going nowhere, i dont care if curry is the second coming of dick butkus, which he is not.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    GC, I couldn't agree with you more, I'll be astonished if we don't take one of the two top tackles. Given Spags desire to run the ball, I wouldn't be unhappy if we drafted two O-linemen with our first two picks. It's that important! For those who think Bulger is washed up, wait and see how he plays with a bit of protection. Add to that a decent running game, and our defense will be improved automatically. Fortunately we are positioned to address this need in the upcoming draft - I believe we will. On a side note, I'll mention that a few years back, Marc Bulger went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate and walked away with MVP honors. Why? Probably because blitzing is supposed to be a no no in the Pro Bowl .. Point being, Marc couldn't miss when he had time to throw.

  13. #13
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,584
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    No doubt Curry is a 1st round temptation for many teams -- Rams included (and myself) -- whether they need a LB or not. He'll be gone for sure in the 1st wave of selections.

    Upon further review, Monroe would be a safer pick. Then hope a top notch LB is available in the 2nd.

  14. #14
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,875
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    A couple things...

    First of all, saying "I hope ____ OT falls to us in the 2nd round so we can pick Curry in the 1st" doesn't make sense to me. How would we know whether an OT will fall to us in the 2nd when we're on the clock at #2 overall?

    Secondly, people keep equating the phrase "there is no clear-cut best tackle" with the phrase "there is no elite tackle" when in fact they are not the same thing. Just because 2 players in the same draft grade out similarly does not mean neither can be a franchise LT. I think the issue with this draft is that there are 2 elite tackles, which might make it a difficult choice. But it is not an argument against taking a LT.
    Great post. Last year, a number of people including myself thought that a guy like Sam Baker would be around for the Rams in the second round. I had him as the Rams' second round selection in my final mock last year, and also had Duane Brown in the second round. Both wound up in the first. We saw last year how much NFL teams value the left tackle position, yet many fans are willing to gamble and just hope one of the top 5-6 falls to us in round two. It's not an idea I'm very comfortable with.

    On a side note, it always amazes me that Jake Long's name comes up as a measuring stick now for whether or not an offensive tackle is deserving enough to be our pick. Few people viewed Long as an elite left tackle last year, certainly not of the level of Pace or Jones. He's a guy that many thought would be a pretty good left tackle but an outstanding right tackle. He was a good pick for the Dolphins first and foremost because he was safe, but also because he was hard working player that fit what their offensive mentality. And of course it didn't hurt that they could sign him early and avoid a holdout.

    If the Lions pass on a QB and take, say, Jason Smith first overall this year, and Smith starts 16 games while allowing only a few sacks, then next year the argument against a top tackle will probably be, "Well there's no Jason Smith in this draft class."

  15. #15
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,204
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Rams could draft OT in second round if they go with LB Curry with overall No. 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    A couple things...

    First of all, saying "I hope ____ OT falls to us in the 2nd round so we can pick Curry in the 1st" doesn't make sense to me. How would we know whether an OT will fall to us in the 2nd when we're on the clock at #2 overall?

    Secondly, people keep equating the phrase "there is no clear-cut best tackle" with the phrase "there is no elite tackle" when in fact they are not the same thing. Just because 2 players in the same draft grade out similarly does not mean neither can be a franchise LT. I think the issue with this draft is that there are 2 elite tackles, which might make it a difficult choice. But it is not an argument against taking a LT.

    This is what kills me. I didnt hear much about either of these guys untill the combine. All the talk from experts and non-experts was that Andre Smith was the best tackle coming out untill the combine. Now A. Smith might not be a top ten pick. So if he was so much better on the field according to all the experts than Smith or Monroe how can you say that they are both elite or clear cut the best two in the draft? They didnt become top five picks untill A. Smith pulled stupid crap at the combine or we'd be talking A. Smith all the way right? We obviousley have to pick a tackle I see that but what I'm saying is we wouldnt be in that position had we kept Pace for at leat one more year and just ate that 6 million. Maybe those guys will turn out to be great but at the 2nd overall pick I don't like hoping a guy will be elite.
    Just Fix It

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Chat - 2/10
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-11-2009, 03:56 PM
  2. Nickís Mailbag for Feb. 4, 2009
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -02-07-2009, 01:57 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Chat --March 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  4. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-22-2007, 02:43 PM
  5. Have Fun,enjoy
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -06-21-2006, 12:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •