Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rams Could Have $15.5 million in Cap Room

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams Could Have $15.5 million in Cap Room

That title should say $15.5 million, sorry

The official cap number is 126.3 million, and the Rams start at about $123 million.

But cutting Finnegan, Dahl. and Wells will add another $12.5 million to the $3 million they had.

They'll spend maybe $4 million cap space re-signing Clemens, Williams and maybe Dunbar.

They will need $6.5 million or so for the draft class, maybe a tad more, depending on pick added by trading down.

So before doing any other simple maneuvering not needing player approval to add space, and I don't see much of that available with these contract the star players are under, other than Bradford perhaps, by guaranteeing his 2014 salary, which could add $5 million or so.

So they only look to have $5.5 million to "play with" as far as signing Saffold or any other free agent veteran player.

I'm sure they could find another couple million with some paper contract moves on some guys, just guaranteeing their salary to turn it into pro r ated bonus if they are in the middle of a multi year contract and allnthe guarantee money has been paid.
    The smart move may be to blow the whole wad on keeping Saffold, to play guard the next four years or so. They don't have a load of needs screaming for a veteran, though they could use another veteran FS that's better than Giordano.

The Rams haven't had a lot of luck with FA safeties however.

I don't mind them ignoring that free agent circus anyway this year. JUst sit back and look for a bargain or two at veteran minimum.

Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Could Have $15.5 million in Cap Room

Edited the title to fix the dollar sign.
    RamDez likes this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

I'm not going to lie, I was hoping the 415.5 was accurate.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

...I could think spending $$$ on Quinn would be a better investment the Saffold first.

But considering how Clemens played of late, perhaps spend just enough for a one-way ticket to nowhere would be a better investment.

But taking care of Quinn would be a much MUCH better long term investment

BarronWade is offline Registered User

How much would we have without giving up Finnegan?

I just think he is too valuable he had an injury plagued season and we some young CBs that can still use some mentoring

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    How much would we have without giving up Finnegan?

I just think he is too valuable he had an injury plagued season and we some young CBs that can still use some mentoring
    At this point, I think the best skill he can teach our young corners is how to mug receivers at the line of scrimmage (which have us scrutinized by the refs)

I'm all for bringing Finnegan back but not with the contract he's currently eating up.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

A lot of guys will be gone & that adds up; a mill here & a few 100K there. Fisher said an interesting thing recently on his show. He said The Rams would be even younger next year.Make of that what you will......

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    A lot of guys will be gone & that adds up; a mill here & a few 100K there. Fisher said an interesting thing recently on his show. He said The Rams would be even younger next year.Make of that what you will......
    If Fisher is being literal, then it doesn't bode well for some combination (if not all) of the 7 gentlemen who will be in their 30's during the 2014 season: Spoon (34), Wells (33), Dahl (33), Giordano (32), Clemens (31), Finnegan (30), Quinn (30.....not Robert, his older brother, Brady).

Here's one that will make us all feel old. Spoon is the "old man" on this roster.....and he was born in 1980. That's right folks, NOBODY on this roster was alive in the 70's! Now, where's my walker?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If Fisher is being literal, then it doesn't bode well for some combination (if not all) of the 7 gentlemen who will be in their 30's during the 2014 season: Spoon (34), Wells (33), Dahl (33), Giordano (32), Clemens (31), Finnegan (30), Quinn (30.....not Robert, his older brother, Brady).

Here's one that will make us all feel old. Spoon is the "old man" on this roster.....and he was born in 1980. That's right folks, NOBODY on this roster was alive in the 70's! Now, where's my walker?
    I wouldn't be surprised if the only one out of those that was with the Rams next year was Clemens, and even then he would be 3rd string

bradwill is offline Registered User

Finnegan says he's been assured that he's got a roster spot next year. This comes from a co-worker who had dinner with him the other night and his cousin happens to be Mrs. Finnegan. Not joking here.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    Finnegan says he's been assured that he's got a roster spot next year. This comes from a co-worker who had dinner with him the other night and his cousin happens to be Mrs. Finnegan. Not joking here.
    I'm sure he will enjoy playing on special teams next year.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Finnegan's a rotten apple for this discipline starved team.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

They aren't gonna pay Finnegan what he gets under that old deal, THAT is for sure, no matter what he thinks. His injury complicated things though, as his contract has some stipulations that favor him in such a case.

He could redo a new deal, at a far lower value cap wise, but he'll get cut.

Here is the deal on Finnegan due to being injured now, which could affect the cap savings by cutting him loose.

2014: $6 million base is non-guaranteed; $3 million roster bonus guaranteed for injury only on signing (becomes fully guaranteed five days after the Super Bowl XLVII)
    Barry Waller

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I may have mis-read this somewhere, but I believe we have some cap savings on Jake Long as he didn't finish the season on the roster, but was on IR. If I recall the amount was about $4 million of his $8 million salary.

Go Rams!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The smart move may be to blow the whole wad on keeping Saffold, to play guard the next four years or so.
    Hmmm, I respect your opinion, but I'm not convinced that's the smart move. I'd rather they draft some stud Guards and use that cap space for secondary or receiving help. A lot depends on whether Wells sticks though. With a smart experienced center, I think rookie guard(s) can work out great. If the center position is transitioning too though... well, then I'll be much more open for a veteran FA Guard (hopefully there will be lots of choices beside Saffold on the market).

Armchair GM'ing is fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast