Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By RamsFanSam
  • 1 Post By swatter555
  • 3 Post By Curly Horns
  • 2 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Rams@Cowboys - did the sky fall?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams@Cowboys - did the sky fall?

I have read many comments on this board, twitter, facebook, and many other places talking about how the Rams just don't look ready for the season. We lost a preseason game, not the NFC Championship. Fisher didn't approach this preseason game like it was a dress rehearsal for the season; rather, he approached it like he was giving a final exam to students to see who has learned the game and who will be looking for a job.

Why do I say this? It was obvious. The defense was not "ready" for what Dallas threw at them. Instead of seeing the dominant defense of last week, we saw what appeared to be basic plays, basic formations. Instead of testing the defense as a unit like last week, it was a return to week one's "individual" tests - putting the defense into one-on-one situations where they were at a clear disadvantage, looking to see if a player can think on their feet. This is what caused so many missed chances last night - Fisher set up clear mismatches so our D would be forced to show their stuff...sadly, some of them failed miserably.

The offense? It wasn't Sam who was bad. Think about it - Steven was in, it was a pass play. Pead in - a running play. How long do you think it took for Dallas to figure this out? And the O-line? Fisher was watching them VERY closely. There will likely be changes to the entire offense before week one. For instance, I see Pead in a special teams role (he did great) and Richardson will likely have the backup role to Jackson for now. And Sam's passes? Are you serious? Do you REALLY think he is that bad? It looked more like he was trying to throw the ball a little bit off each time, trying to make the WR's reach for it. I would not doubt that Fisher told him to make the receivers work for the completions.

As far as Clemens - I wouldn't look to see him in horns past this Friday unless it's on the practice squad. Fisher wasn't checking him out for the #2 spot...he was looking to see if he was worth keeping. After all, Davis has shown he is ready to back Sam up - poised, confident, thinks on his feet, finds a way to move the offense on almost every play, no matter what - and Clemens has shown he can be a starter for a team who is really struggling at QB. (Arizona, anyone?) I'd bet Davis is a lock for the #2 spot.

I'm not really happy about the way our guys played last night - I thought they looked terrible. But, when I watched the game again this morning, it hit me - the poor play was NOT because we suck. It's because the coaches put the players in formations and situations that they knew they would suck at - and wanted to see how they adapted. Yes, some did suck - and some did not. I think a majority of us already know who will be on the final 53...with maybe 4 or 5 names being on the bubble.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams@Cowboys - did the sky fall?

Bradford is the number one pick, 50 million guaranteed. That being said he is just like Romo, when he plays good it's expected. When he has an off night like last night, he is always going to get the wood laid to him by fans and the media. It comes with the territory. If he plays like Brady or Aaron Rogers for five years he will be cut some slack, but until he starts playing at that level this will always be the response after a bad game.

I for one have come to the point where Bradford has no excuses, even if they are legit. bad blocking up front? Get out of the pocket use your legs and make a play. Getting pressure slide in the pocket and get the ball out, take an incomplete don't hold the ball forever. Bradford has to start being more athletic, he's very athletic he needs to start playing ball.

Austin Davis, showed more pocket presents the Bradford did last night, he's not always going to have a clean pocket.

I know the Rams are not showing their hand with the plays, I get that. But he needs to play better. I did not like his body languages, he looked frustrated and uncomfortable. I know this was the stadium where he got driven into the turf and blew out his shoulder maybe he was having flash backs. I hope he plays well next week, Detroit is going to be real brutal game he needs to be ready.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-26-2012 at 12:17 PM.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Its a given this is the preseason, but I don't agree with the bottomline optimstic assesment you provide. I do expect the defense to get better, but the offense while the 1's were out looked exactly like they looked last year. It was almost a carbon copy. The O-Line didn't play consistent, recievers could get open fast enough, and when the recievers did get a tiny-bit open, Sam hurried his throw and missed. Get out the instant replay machine.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    It looked more like he was trying to throw the ball a little bit off each time, trying to make the WR's reach for it. I would not doubt that Fisher told him to make the receivers work for the completions.
    Until Fisher or Bradford admits this; well....I highly doubt it and in fact I don't believe it!

I'm not saying things are as bad as others made them out to be, but at the same time, I'm not buying into your post that so easily brushes things aside.

I think the true analysis is somewhere in the middle.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The sky didn't fall, but I think it's fair to say we better fasten our seatbelts, because it's looking like another bumpy season that is going to test our level of patience.

New coaches, new schemes, new players, young players, mediocre talent, question marks. I'm hoping for the best, but am prepared for the reality of the situation. The Rams are in re-build mode, and it's going to take some time.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Its a given this is the preseason, but I don't agree with the bottomline optimstic assesment you provide. I do expect the defense to get better, but the offense while the 1's were out looked exactly like they looked last year. It was almost a carbon copy. The O-Line didn't play consistent, recievers could get open fast enough, and when the recievers did get a tiny-bit open, Sam hurried his throw and missed. Get out the instant replay machine.

I don't agree with it either, and we have an obligation as fans to take issue with bad fundamental football when we see it. Now I understand that sentiment isn't popular with those fans whose mommies put "smile, you're a champion" notes in their underwear drawers as a kid, but I'm into reality these days surrounding the Rams. And the reality is we have a TREMENDOUS amount of work to do and improvement to make to become a respectable football team.

Last night presented several areas of concern- the o-line (old story), the defense (particularly the defensive backfield), Bradford (who was not sharp) and the non-existence of Pead (who many had hoped would be able to spell Jackson this season to keep him fresh).

And not for nothing, if our criticism of these players is not justified "because it's preseason" or "because Fisher is playing a vanilla scheme", then our praise of the Brockers and the Quinns and the Zeuerleins of the world isn't justified either. One can't exist without the other.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I don't agree with it either, and we have an obligation as fans to take issue with bad fundamental football when we see it. Now I understand that sentiment isn't popular with those fans whose mommies put "smile, you're a champion" notes in their underwear drawers as a kid, but I'm into reality these days surrounding the Rams. And the reality is we have a TREMENDOUS amount of work to do and improvement to make to become a respectable football team.

Last night presented several areas of concern- the o-line (old story), the defense (particularly the defensive backfield), Bradford (who was not sharp) and the non-existence of Pead (who many had hoped would be able to spell Jackson this season to keep him fresh).

And not for nothing, if our criticism of these players is not justified "because it's preseason" or "because Fisher is playing a vanilla scheme", then our praise of the Brockers and the Quinns and the Zeuerleins of the world isn't justified either. One can't exist without the other.
    I do agree with just about everything you said...as far as a respectable team, you may be right on that point too... I'm going to wait and see how we look after four real games before I claim what we are. You maybe right not saying your not, just going to wait and see.