RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams cut Frerotte; Bruce next?

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/28/2008

Rams officials confirmed Thursday that backup quarterback Gus Frerotte has been released by the club.

Is wide receiver Isaac Bruce next?
    The Rams were waiting Thursday to see if Bruce was willing to take a pay cut to remain with the team in 2008.

As the final hours ticked away before the start of the free agency period Friday, the Rams werenít expected to extend tender offers to restricted free agents Jerome Carter and Trevor Johnson.

Meanwhile, rumors circulated at Rams Park that defensive end James Hall might join Frerotte as a cap casualty to help the team free up salary cap room for the free agency period.

The release of Frerotte creates $1.9 million in additional cap room; he was scheduled to make $1.4 million in base salary plus a roster bonus of $500,000 in 2008. It also frees the Rams and new offensive coordinator Al Saunders to pursue free-agent quarterback Todd Collins of the Washington Redskins.

Collins, 36, has been with Saunders for the past seven seasons, first in Kansas City and then Washington. Collins was a late-season sensation in place of the injured Jason Campbell in í07, posting a 106.4 passer rating and completing 63.7 percent of his passes to lead the Redskins to a playoff berth.

As for Bruce, a fixture for the Rams franchise since the move to St. Louis, he is due a $3 million base salary plus a $2 million roster bonus in í08. The Rams are believed to be asking Bruce to forego part or all of the roster bonus according to league sources.

If Hall is released, it would save the Rams $3.5 million in cap money, representing Hallís scheduled $3 million base salary in Ď08 plus a $500,000 roster bonus.

Johnson, a defensive end, and Carter, a safety, become the equivalent of unrestricted free agents once it becomes official that the team has not made one-year tender offers.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams cut Frerotte; Bruce next?

I thought for sure (clearing my throat) Bernie M. or at the very least SLOP would have some insight on the Bruce situation.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I HATE reports like this. THe rams are asking bruce to forego all or part of the bonus. Which one, all or part. If part, which part? They are reporting non information.

If the rams are asking bruce to give all of it up, that is unfair. If they are asking for part of it, thats fair and its up to ike. The exact details obviously arent public knowledge, but statements that do nothing more than laying out the obvious make me crazy.

KEEP REVEREND IKE

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Hmm...I don't even know what theyre doing now.

I just really hope if Bruce is infact released...we need to sign someone equivalent to his skill.