Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,947
    Rep Power
    130

    Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    09.22.2009 3:50 pm
    Rams cut Stanley, sign WR/KR Amendola
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch


    The St. Louis Rams on Tuesday released WR/KR Derek Stanley to make room on the 53-man roster for another WR/KR — Danny Amendola, who was signed off the Eagles’ practice squad.

    General manager Billy Devaney said Amendola is expected to return punts and kickoffs Sunday, when the Rams take on the Packers at the Edward Jones Dome, in what would be his NFL regular-season debut.

    “We’re just trying to get some juice in the return game,” Devaney said. The 5-foot-11, 186-pound Amendola, 23, is a Texas Tech product who signed with the Cowboys in 2008 as an undrafted rookie. He spent that season on Dallas’ practice squad, then was signed to Philly’s practice squad in January.

    Stanley, a Rams seventh-round draft pick in 2007 out of Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater, averaged 12.3 yards on three punt returns this season. In ‘07 and ‘08, he averaged 9.2 yards on 11 punt returns, 25.1 yards on 45 kickoff returns, and caught six passes for 119 yards and one touchdown.

    Also, the Rams didn’t work out any free agents Tuesday.


  2. #2
    AlwaysBackwards's Avatar
    AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sanger,California
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    awww man i posted this first then it got deleted...oh well here is a link to video on some of Danny Amendolas college highlights
    YouTube - Danny Amendola Tribute Texas Tech

  3. #3
    Lange Guest

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    09.22.2009 3:50 pm
    Rams cut Stanley, sign WR/KR Amendola
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch


    The St. Louis Rams on Tuesday released WR/KR Derek Stanley to make room on the 53-man roster for another WR/KR — Danny Amendola, who was signed off the Eagles’ practice squad.

    General manager Billy Devaney said Amendola is expected to return punts and kickoffs Sunday, when the Rams take on the Packers at the Edward Jones Dome, in what would be his NFL regular-season debut.

    “We’re just trying to get some juice in the return game,” Devaney said. The 5-foot-11, 186-pound Amendola, 23, is a Texas Tech product who signed with the Cowboys in 2008 as an undrafted rookie. He spent that season on Dallas’ practice squad, then was signed to Philly’s practice squad in January.

    Stanley, a Rams seventh-round draft pick in 2007 out of Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater, averaged 12.3 yards on three punt returns this season. In ‘07 and ‘08, he averaged 9.2 yards on 11 punt returns, 25.1 yards on 45 kickoff returns, and caught six passes for 119 yards and one touchdown.

    Also, the Rams didn’t work out any free agents Tuesday.
    That sucks Stanley looked like he had some promise for the future. I hope we can bring him back in some capacity in the future.

  4. #4
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,954
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Returning kicks is requires a certain skill set that not all speedsters possess. If this guy has what it takes to give the Rams better field position, I'm all for it.

  5. #5
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,657
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    I guess we need to do something I thought Avery wanted that job.
    :ramlogo:

  6. #6
    maineram Guest

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    This is a bit scary, signing someone on Tuesday to play on Sunday !!!! I don't care for it unless he get's some major yards this week with NO miscues.

    Devaney and Spags must be getting a bit worried at this point.

    Maineram -

  7. #7
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,947
    Rep Power
    130

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBackwards View Post
    awww man i posted this first then it got deleted...
    I edged you out by a nose.

    Thanks for the Amendola video. Rep to you.

    I thought Stanley had good potential and made some absolutely great plays as a receiver. Oh well. Hopefully Amendola adds that juice to the return game the Rams are looking for.

  8. #8
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,954
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    From my Google research, it seems he was viewed coming out as a guy who was a bit smallish, more quick than fast, but very productive in college. I've seen a couple of Wes Welker comparisons.

    Should be interesting to see how he does on Sunday.

  9. #9
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,146
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Jeez, if Ruvell Martin is not active for the Packers game, we're only going to have Avery, Robinson, Burton, and this kid. Yikes.

  10. #10
    rNemesis's Avatar
    rNemesis is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nassau
    Age
    29
    Posts
    772
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Derek Stanley sucks and now you bring in this guy? WHo is this guy another no name guy who isnt going to help us

  11. #11
    rNemesis's Avatar
    rNemesis is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nassau
    Age
    29
    Posts
    772
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    and why isnt ruvelle martin playing? I cant believe we signed another injured dud

  12. #12
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    and why isnt ruvelle martin playing? I cant believe we signed another injured dud
    Dude, you need to calm it down ....

    Martin just got here last week. He's going to be counted on to be an active receiver in the passing game. He's got to learn a little terminology before he gets out there. With Stanley gone, I think it's safe to assume he's the number 4 receiver this week ...

    As for Amendola, he's going to be the KR/PR this week, doubt he'll get any reps at WR. Having one guy to handle both returning chores is a nice luxury. This kid could be a contributor. I saw some footage on TV of him in Dallas' camp, and the coaches were extremely high on him ...

  13. #13
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,657
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    This is a bit scary, signing someone on Tuesday to play on Sunday !!!! I don't care for it unless he get's some major yards this week with NO miscues.

    Devaney and Spags must be getting a bit worried at this point.

    Maineram -
    I think it say allot about the state of the talent. I never like to see a team signing players unless there are injuries it goes back to our 53 man roster is so bad we got to sign a players off another team practices squad to start on our special teams.
    :ramlogo:

  14. #14
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,109
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I guess we need to do something I thought Avery wanted that job.
    Well, Spags tried to toss it to him, but he fumbled it.

  15. #15
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,947
    Rep Power
    130

    Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

    If anything, this move shows Devaney and Spags are looking to win some games now and not stand pat, which is a good thing IMO. Let's also not forget, these are the guys who plucked Laurent Robinson out of obscurity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Playoff History
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
  2. Gordo Live, Monday, March 3rd
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
  3. Postgame With Gordo, Dec. 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
  4. Have Fun,enjoy
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -06-21-2006, 12:54 PM
  5. Historical Moments # 2 The rest of the story
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -04-21-2006, 11:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •