Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

Derek Stanley sucks and now you bring in this guy? WHo is this guy another no name guy who isnt going to help us
    I like the way you rip the guy but state you nothing about him nice!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Rams Cut Stanley, Sign WR/KR Amendola

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If anything, this move shows Devaney and Spags are looking to win some games now and not stand pat, which is a good thing IMO. Let's also not forget, these are the guys who plucked Laurent Robinson out of obscurity.
    Well I hope so I have to give them ups for at least seeing a problem and making a change
    :ramlogo:

schut39 is offline Registered User

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Making a quick judgement from the video highlights, he definitely seems quick enough to be a good returner. He might not have great acceleration or elite straight-line speed, but agility is what's most important for a returner.

I like the move, and I LOVE how aggressive Devaney has been with turning over the roster. I've never seen so much action this early in the season. For once, it seems we have a competent pro-scouting department, and they are always going to be keeping an eye out for guys to improve the depth chart. Nobody can sit comfortably on this Rams team right now, and that's a good thing.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

My first reaction is I'm pretty damn skeptical over this move. I have a hard time imagining this guy could be more useful than Stanley.

On the one hand you have Stanley, an ok returner (but not great by any stretch of the imagination), also a decent receiver, knows our system, been in training camp watching and learning etc. all offseason, still young, seems to have improved each year he's been in the league. Stanley could return for us and be WR depth at the same time and step on the field in a pinch if another WR goes down and we know he would play at a reasonable level if needed.

On the other hand you have some unknown guy with no game experience, most likely no knowledge about our system, zero timing with our QB - I think he will be unable to contribute as a receiver at all for some time and he's a big question mark as a returner too (that could be either good or bad of course).

Generally I don't like adding guys in the middle of the season, especially not someone without experience like this guy - a veteran would be a different situation. Between those choices I'm taking Stanley any day. But it will be interesting to see if Amendola can light it up as a returner - critical as I am of the move I'll obviously give the guy any and all chances to prove me wrong. I would love nothing more than a bonafide returner - we haven't had one in years!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I don't know much about this guy other than what I saw when he was an undrafted rookie trying to make the team on the Dallas season Hard Knocks. I remember everybody, including TO, saying that they thought he was going to make the team for sure. Then he had a couple drops or fumbles in one of the preseason games and he wound up on the practice squad.

From what I remember, the Wes Welker comparison is pretty accurate. Similar size and playing style.

And on a side note, he probably won't be as bad a fit in our system as some of you are predicting. Remember he spent last year on Philly's practice squad, and they run a similar offense to us. He should have at least a certain level of comfort with the system we have in place and may be ready to go sooner rather than later.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I don't know what this guy Amendola will bring at the NFL level but his college highlights look pretty electric-good body control,leaping ability & not sure why anyone would say he's not quick or fast-in all those clips I didn't see him get caught from behind much,if at all, & he seemed to accelerate quickly.Kind of a poor man's Maclin.

I also don't know why anyone would mourn Stanley's release.Other than the one bomb TD last year , the guy has done absolutely nothing as a WR in the regular season.... Except fumble and get hurt.

6 catches,119 yds ( 80 of that on the TD play),1TD,3 fumbles in 2 seasons is nothing to miss,imo.

And a 9.2 avge on returns last year is hardly stellar,either.It's not as if he was exhausted from either his WR work or The Rams forced a lot of punts...lol

I agree with Mike & EDM; nothing wrong with tinkering with the lower end of the roster. It's what brought us Stills, Darby,Gado,Craft,and Fells last year,right? All of whom contributed to the minor revival that The Rams went through late last season.

If Amendola's ball security is reliable, I don't see why he wouldn't be just as good as Stanley for returns and may have some upside as a WR eventually. Worth a look.

Speaking of the weekly Tuesday auditions,though; I am a bit surprised that they didn't even look at another OT. Does that make Young our primary back-up or have I missed someone?
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-22-2009 at 11:47 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I guess we need to do something I thought Avery wanted that job.
    Do you want to give him the job right now? Let's wait for him to stop channeling Az Hakim first.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I like the way you rip the guy but state you nothing about him nice!
    Yeah, that was a head scratcher for me too. Admittedly not knowing anything about him, them immediately dismissing him by saying he isn't going to help us. Maybe we should let him return a few kicks before we write him off?

Lange is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I don't know what this guy Amendola will bring at the NFL level but his college highlights look pretty electric-good body control,leaping ability & not sure why anyone would say he's not quick or fast-in all those clips I didn't see him get caught from behind much,if at all, & he seemed to accelerate quickly.Kind of a poor man's Maclin.

I also don't know why anyone would mourn Stanley's release.Other than the one bomb TD last year , the guy has done absolutely nothing as a WR in the regular season.... Except fumble and get hurt.

6 catches,119 yds ( 80 of that on the TD play),1TD,3 fumbles in 2 seasons is nothing to miss,imo.

And a 9.2 avge on returns last year is hardly stellar,either.It's not as if he was exhausted from either his WR work or The Rams forced a lot of punts...lol

I agree with Mike; nothing wrong with tinkering with the lower end of the roster. It's what brought us Stills, Darby,Gado,Craft,and Fells last year,right? All of whom contributed to the minor revival that The Rams went through late last season.

If Amendola's ball security is reliable, I don't see why he wouldn't be just as good as Stanley for returns and may have some upside as a WR eventually. Worth a look.

Speaking of the weekly Tuesday auditions,though; I am a bit surprised that they didn't even look at another OT. Does that make Young our primary back-up or have I missed someone?
    Good insight thanks that helped me understand this move a bit more. Stanley did basically nothing for this team and he got 2 years worth of work and chances and when you have such nil value your on the release block. Sucks but the only job security is doing your job. Obviously he just didn't do it. Good luck to him somewhere else.

RealRam is offline Registered User

WELCOME AMENDOLA!

His 4.6 - 40 velocity does look slow in action but it's one of those deceiving attributes. In a very good way.

Hey, when I first saw the news, I thought "oh, no: another little man in our team that is desperately in need of big plays". But after seeing both videos here (thanks AB and Schut), I'm already liking this kid coming to the Rams-now-in-need squad. He might bring some added enthusiasm and spunk not only to ST but to the offense as well.

Amendola seems to have those smart, nifty moves that find a crease and thus is able to gain an additional 5 to 8 yards in kick returns after the coverage closes in on him. He apparently is a threat in finding open real estate too. Look's like he has good hands, good work ethic. Elated to hear he's compared to such and such from a hated team / but nevertheless great player.

You know who Amendola also reminds me of? WR Kevin Curtis in his healthier years with the Rams.

I had been rooting ... or at least supporting, Derek Stanley for a couple of years now. Perhaps he just somehow was not able to find his niche with us. Thanks for trying your best.

PS: I wonder a bit as to why our newest addition was released by the Eagles...
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-23-2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Smiley

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Why is everyone so negative about this? what has Stanley done at all. He has done absolutely nothing. He has done terrible at his main job returning.

Amendola made huge impressions with 2 prominent squads the Cowboys and Eagles who were loaded at receiver the time. If he can make an impression there he can definately make an impression here where we are lacking at the position he also comes in with alot of knowledge of the system. He will contribute in the slot and he will definately be a better returner than Stanley

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

From the looks of it I like his aggressiveness..Not sure how Stanley was but this guy sure looks like he doesnt mind contact, hopefully he can hang on to the ball..No need to bash a guy yall havent seen play yet, even though you might be right, its not like we cut a star for him..If hes an improvement, im all for it and everyone here should be too..I also like the team still keeping an eye out when we need it and looking for the best possible solution to a problem, because up to this point our return game has been non-existent..

The good thing about bringing in a KR this late is all he has to do is hold on to the damn ball while getting as much yardage as possible, in a not-so Avery way!

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I remember watching this guy on Hard Knocks with the Cowboys. He had great work ethic in practice and showed some quick bursts. However, once he got to return his first punt in preseason, I think he fumbled it. So, I'm interested to see how he plays.

Flipper336 is offline Registered User

Hey guys, I'm from Philly and can tell you that Amendola made a very good
    impression on the Eagles. They just have to many WRs right now, and they still used a practice squad space him.
    I won't pretend to be an expert on him, but he did perform well as a KR in the pre-season. Also a local NFL films guy, Ray Didinger, who's opinion I really respect, went on and on about him on his radio show. Said he hoped the Eagles would find a spot for him, but knew they wouldn't be able to. He finished buy saying Amendola would make an impact for someone this year, as a KR and WR.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast