Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Rams cut WR Donnie Avery and QB Thad Lewis

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams cut WR Donnie Avery and QB Thad Lewis

This is very disappointing. Avery was lighting it up lately and let's be real, he's not exactly over the hill. I'm sorry, but this is hard to understand. I can only think the Rams didn't expect him to see enough of the field to make it worth keeping him. As others have mentioned, we just got slower and lost a big play guy that can strech the field.

Oh well, football is a business and sometimes hard choices have to be made. Moving forward......

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

A little birdie tells me that after a discussion with the coaching staff and FO, that Avery requested to be released ....

Avery didn't want to do what the coaching staff was requesting, so it was mutual ....

Trevor is offline Registered User

This is probably the worst move rams have done so far. Please prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    This is probably the worst move rams have done so far. Please prove me wrong.
    Why?

This is the gist of it. Avery worked hard to come back and he felt that he was the top WR on the squad. He had a nice preseason, and had hopes that he'd be the #1 or #2 guy.

Turns out this team is ready to roll with MSW and Gibson as #1 and #2. That relegates Avery to #4 AT BEST. Difficult for Avery to move up. Especially long term when Clayton comes back.

With that, Avery has no value on special teams. Being deep down the depth chart, and providing little value, Avery would never be able to earn a big contract here.

By letting Avery go, he'll have an opportunity to sign a one year deal somewhere, and if healthy, he could impress and earn himself some big money down the road.

He was never going to have that shot here. Avery is a nice dude. Devaney loves him. It was a tough move, but the right thing to do for both parties.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I liked Avery but I learned from some of the folks on this board to trust Spags and Devaney. I did. I do. I can only imagine how difficult this day is for those two and I do know they know more then I do about football and the inner workings of the Rams. Let's play some football...........

Rambos is offline Registered User

A lot of guys on this board heard Billy Devaney say that draft position will not matter as far as cuts go. I like most thought he was talking about Pettis when in fact he may have been referring to Avery.

I'm more then bummed about Avery, that being said the FO has a plan. Looks like Salas and Pettis will get some reps. Lets hope they can produce.

Donnie thanks best of luck!

SavageRam is offline Registered User

I think the dissenters here over Avery's release are being a bit over dramatic. He was going to be the #5 WR at best... #6 after Clayton's return... too much tearing of cloths and gnashing of teeth over this...
    ManofGod likes this.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

So we are to believe that Gibson, Salas and Pettis are better WRs than Avery? I cant believe that.
    Alec22 likes this.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Do not like the lewis cut.... AT ALL!!!!!!! stupid decision
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    I think the dissenters here over Avery's release are being a bit over dramatic. He was going to be the #5 WR at best... #6 after Clayton's return... too much tearing of cloths and gnashing of teeth over this...
    Well, I can only speak for myself. I'm disappointed. I thought Avery had a lot to offer and am sorry to see him go after working his way back. No crying, no gnashing of teeth, I'm moving on as I stated earlier and ready to hit the ED next week and get this party started.
    SavageRam likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Let's not get too nostalgic here. I liked Avery back in 2008 when he flashed some big play potential. In 2009, he went through a bit of a sophomore slump, posting fewer yards in more starts. He missed the entire next season, got his speed back, and then the coaching staff made a judgment call that even at full speed, Avery wasn't in their top 7. They didn't just take Pettis, Salas and Alexander over him. They even took Dominque Curry's special teams contribution over Avery's speed. That, to me, is pretty telling.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    So we are to believe that Gibson, Salas and Pettis are better WRs than Avery? I cant believe that.
    Gibson - absolutely, he runs good routes, is bigger, stronger, and works harder than Avery. He's a willing blocker, has better hands, and is a favorite of the QB.

The other two are yet to be seen.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    Gibson has advanced significantly in his development this preseason, so yes Gibson over Avery. MSW will fill in as the second wideout, over Avery. Amendola and Salas in the slots, no questions asked. Where would Avery go? Oh yeah #5 wide out... but not now, since the powers that be think Pettis and DX will do just fine. And this doesn't even include Clayton when he returns.
    Last edited by SavageRam; -09-03-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    Do not like the lewis cut.... AT ALL!!!!!!! stupid decision
    How so? Feeley is a great mentor for Sam. Lewis is going to the PS. Nobody is going to pick him up to their active roster.
    ManofGod likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    But..... Picking Danario over Avery? That is what doesn't make sense to me. Seems like you are throwing a spot away. For all the potential Danario has. The biggest potential he has is getting injured again.
    And Avery has less potential to be injured again after three injury filled years and his own major knee injury? My guess is the Rams would rather have DX's size, and McDaniels didn't seem to think he needed a speedster, although some of the guys we have do have some nice speed.

Seems some people are upset that we might not have great speed, but let's be honest, teams don't absolutely have to have a Desean or Vincent Jackson or their hopes of ever having a passing game are forever crushed. The Pats cut their only downfield threat last year and I think Tom Brady had an ok year. Granted it's Tom Brady, but point is that teams don't have to have a burner in order to be successful. In fact I don't think the GSOT really did, neither Bruce or Holt were burners. Good route runners with excellent hands.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast