Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Rams cut WR Donnie Avery and QB Thad Lewis

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Rams cut WR Donnie Avery and QB Thad Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    How so? Feeley is a great mentor for Sam. Lewis is going to the PS. Nobody is going to pick him up to their active roster.
    oops, forgot about Shurmur.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    Minus the speed and fragility you just described Gibson? At what point did Gibson go from the guy who cant get open and drops half the passes thrown to him to our default #2?
    Totally, Gibson was "OK" last year, nothing special...

A few thoughts/comments on Avery/DX:

First off, great move by Rams in drafting Avery instead of Desean Jackson....way to work it out.

Secondly, Avery was the first receiver taken in the draft in 2008, in the second round. So why are we so quick to keep a rookie 3rd round pick in Pettis (like the 8th WR) just because "you don't cut a 3rd round pick", instead of a guy we felt was the best in the draft and is finally back healthy.

Avery was in his last year of his contract, so apparently they assumed, unless he had a break out year, that they would have to pay him 1 mil this year for only 1 year. So instead they hope someone will pick him up and we get that 600G's. But still, we've invested this much, what if he would have broke out this year? Seems like a bad risk/reward move to cut him.

As for DX, my guess is that it is not all about his knee. Don't forget that McDaniel was the Pat's OC, and just like many of us, he must have some visions of using Amendola as his Wes Welker, and in that thinking, DX would be his Randy moss. As for the other spots, we have so many similar sized guys in Gibson, Avery, and Clayton, they're all almost the same guy. (not saying they are all equal in abilities, just that they all probably play the same spot, opposite MSW).

Still, Avery was our best receiver for 2 years ago, not sure how he dropped to being worse than some unproven rookies?
    Torry Holt and jmk321 like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post

First off, great move by Rams in drafting Avery instead of Desean Jackson....way to work it out.

Secondly, Avery was the first receiver taken in the draft in 2008, in the second round. So why are we so quick to keep a rookie 3rd round pick in Pettis (like the 8th WR) just because "you don't cut a 3rd round pick", instead of a guy we felt was the best in the draft and is finally back healthy.

Avery was in his last year of his contract, so apparently they assumed, unless he had a break out year, that they would have to pay him 1 mil this year for only 1 year. So instead they hope someone will pick him up and we get that 600G's. But still, we've invested this much, what if he would have broke out this year? Seems like a bad risk/reward move to cut him.

As for DX, my guess is that it is not all about his knee. Don't forget that McDaniel was the Pat's OC, and just like many of us, he must have some visions of using Amendola as his Wes Welker, and in that thinking, DX would be his Randy moss. As for the other spots, we have so many similar sized guys in Gibson, Avery, and Clayton, they're all almost the same guy. (not saying they are all equal in abilities, just that they all probably play the same spot, opposite MSW).

Still, Avery was our best receiver for 2 years ago, not sure how he dropped to being worse than some unproven rookies?
    I guess I could find alot of players teams would have like to draft after a few years have gone by.

Avery has had more then 5 weeks to prove that he is a big time number one WR, just has not happened. I wish it did just never happened. Pettis and Salas now will get the same opportunity that Avery had, a full season to make plays and stay healthy.

Avery has never caught a ball in a real game from Bradford... Gibby and Sam have built some chemistry. Clayton the same has a bond with Sam, it was apparent early last year. You add MSW to the mix and Avery has fallen to the fourth WR, he was never a slot WR. I don't think the rookie beat out Avery as they are two bigger slot WR, not speed outside WR. The Rams wanted size and now they have it. Besides Danny, the size of our WR 6'- 6'4.

I agree with you on DX, the Rams will use him to stretch the field.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Spagnuolo, Devaney, and Demoff were not even thought of yet in the Rams organization when that happened, so I don't know how you can pin any of that baggage on them.

Devaney has been quoted (several times) saying that draft position will NOT play a role in their decision making as to what players make the team or not. Avery being cut in favor of Pettis and Salas seems to be consistent with that statement at least. The coaches seem to be very high on both rookies, and maybe they saw something with Avery that tip the scales we didn't, or couldn't notice. After all, it goes without saying, they have a much better view as to what is going on then any of us.

It's a long season and it hasn't even started yet. Lets wait and see if it was the wrong decision or not. If Pettis and Salas light it up with Bradford throwing to them, I guarantee everyone here will be saying, Avery who?
    Last edited by SavageRam; -09-06-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    Spagnuolo, Devaney, and Demoff were not even thought of yet in the Rams organization when that happened, so I don't know how you can pin any of that baggage on them.
    Actually, Devaney was brought in to help run the 2008 draft, in which Avery was selected.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Well I guess your looking look at one player in Avery>Jackson instead of looking at multiples in Laur>Ray, Sam>Jimmy, Saffold>every other LT in that draft.

No one ever said they wouldn't cut a 3rd round guy. They cut a 4th rounder in Gilyard so I believe they will cut them if warranted.

Someone had to be cut and with Avery saying he wanted to be cut kind of helped that out. They said it was a mutual decision remember.

DX wears number 84 so he already has the number for moss so why not fill that role lol. He will make some big plays this year watch and see.

Gibson is going to make some plays for us also. I seen him make a big play when I went to linewood for the scrimmage and to the last practice. This guy made some catches that were pretty darn good. Sam located the ball just right to where the defender couldn't make a play but Gibson had to make a pretty good catch to make it.

He dropped to that with the injuries he had.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345