Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams 'D' Stands Strong

Rams 'D' Stands Strong
    Saturday, September 15, 2007

By Brett Grassmuck
    Stlouisrams.com

On a day where Hall of Fame cornerback Roger Wherli was honored for his on-field accomplishments, the Rams defense was able to hold the San Francisco ***** offense to 186 total yards without their two starting corners.

“We bounced back well, especially playing against the run,” defensive lineman Adam Carriker said. “They’re a running team, a downhill, power team. They’re going to come right at you. That’s what they do. That’s what we focused on all week, and we did pretty well against it.”

The defensive goal against San Francisco was to slow down running back Frank Gore. While Gore wasn’t completely stopped, the Rams defense did a nice job against a run-minded offense that helped Gore to over 1,500 yards last season.

Gore accounted for 81 of the ***** 186 yards, with 56 coming on two runs. The first was a 13-yard carry with the ***** in a third-and-long situation on the opening drive of the game. The defense was playing to prevent a long pass and came up with a stop to get the team of the field.

The second was a costly 43-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter that was one of few mistakes made by a banged-up defensive unit.

“They hit a long run on us,” defensive end Leonard Little said. “Other than that, they got hardly anything. We played a good sound defense. We tackled pretty well.”

Other than the two long runs, the Rams held Gore to 25 yards on 18 carries, which is an average of about 1.4 yards per touch.

“I think we came in focused, we can’t give up that (43-yard touchdown run),” safety Corey Chavous said. “That play cost us. We made a lot of concentrated efforts on improving in some areas. We have to get a lot better, but we’re still seeking to improve. Next week we don’t want to give up any plays. So that’s the goal for us.”

The Rams defense was down two starting cornerbacks after Tye Hill suffered a back injury in Thursday’s practice and was also without starting linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, who injured an ankle in last week’s game.

Cornerback Ron Bartell, who has started the Rams first two games for suspended cornerback Fakhir Brown, was solid in coverage, finishing with four tackles in the unofficial press box stats. Along with his play in the secondary, the third year player made his presence felt in the San Francisco backfield, coming up with a 13-yard sack in the second quarter and sniffing out an end-around by wide receiver Taylor Jacobs for an 8-yard loss in the third quarter.

“Bartell and (defensive tackle Clifton) Ryan, that’s what they brought them in here for,” Little said. “We had some guys down so those guys stepped in and did a good job. We have to, just as a team, play like this the whole year.”

Ryan, a rookie out of Michigan State, also had a big day up front for the Rams. After a 49-yard punt by Donnie Jones and the Rams trailing 14-13 in the fourth quarter, Ryan busted through the ***** offensive line to sack quarterback Alex Smith, forcing a fumble and recovering it on the opposing 48-yard-line. Although it didn’t hold up in the end, the Rams offense was able to take over, drive the field and take the lead with a Jeff Wilkins field goal on the ensuing drive.

“I didn’t get that many sacks in college, so it was good to go out there in my second NFL game and get a sack, cause a fumble and make some big plays for my team,” Ryan said. “But I would rather win the game. I think the performance of our defensive unit has laid a foundation for the rest of the season. We have 14 games left. We have to get in there tomorrow, look at the film, get a good lift in, some conditioning and look forward to next week when we go out to Tampa Bay. I think the best is yet to come from our defensive unit. We have a great staff with (defensive coordinator Jim) Haslett and (defensive line coach Brian) Baker. Those guys push us hard every day, and I really appreciate them for that. I think that attributed to my success on the field today.”

Cornerback Lenny Walls started for Hill and was solid covering ***** receivers Arnaz Battle and Darrell Jackson. Linebacker Chris Draft started for Tinoisamoa and also came up with a big hit on special teams.

“Yeah, I think we definitely did a good job today,” linebacker Will Witherspoon said. “We let one run out. But for the most part, I think we did a great job in stopping the run and holding plays to a minimum.”

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Rams 'D' Stands Strong

The defense did a great job & Bartell & Ryan are part of a very bright future for the Rams. Even tho we lost the game, I'm holding my head high & wearing my colors true. Bring on the Bucs

BayArea408Niner is offline Registered User

I don't know if it was great defense so much as it was our new OCs inept playcalling. I mean seriously, you guys have your 3rd and 4th CBs out there and we hardly even test them all game?

Aside from Gore's 43 yard TD run, you guys did a solid job against the run though. We really should've tested your DBs more, 17 attempts against your banged up secondary was pathetic on our part.

RealRam is offline Registered User

186 - 43 scamper (error) = 143 yards! :O

Yes, the nainahs made some mistakes too -- which Tampa Bay will surely focus on to avoid -- but if we can also focus on that effort and prepare for somthing similar to yesterday's performance, we most definitely have a shot for a not-so-close win.

PS: Thanks for your visit / input 408.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

After 2 games our defense is ranked #11 (avg. yards allowed) 286.5 yds per game. We are ranked #10 for points allowed. The Eagles and Redskins are playing tonight so the points allowed ranking could go up.

The offense is holding us back.

Ranked #18 (avg yards oer game) 315 yds per game
    Ranked #22 points scored. Again, the Eagles and Redskins play tonight so this ranking could go down.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    After 2 games our defense is ranked #11 (avg. yards allowed) 286.5 yds per game. We are ranked #10 for points allowed. The Eagles and Redskins are playing tonight so the points allowed ranking could go up.
    That sounds like improvement to me. Especially, when considering our two starting corners and Wroten are out.

Does anyone know what our rank against the run is so far. I'm willing to bet its better than 31st!

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    That sounds like improvement to me. Especially, when considering our two starting corners and Wroten are out.

Does anyone know what our rank against the run is so far. I'm willing to bet its better than 31st!
    Ask and you shall receive.

We are ranked 25th for total yards allowed rushing.

We are ranked 22nd allowing an average of 4.2 yards per rush.

viper is offline Registered User

Its a step in the right direction. We have room for improvement and I think we will improve.

Shoot...we'll fix that!

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Its a step in the right direction. We have room for improvement and I think we will improve.

Shoot...we'll fix that!
    TIME TO GO TO WORK!!!!!!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I checked the stats earlier today and was excited when I saw we were ranked 11th in total D, then came back down to earth when I saw the 25th ranking against the run. I'm confident things will continue to improve.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

“I think we came in focused, we can’t give up that (43-yard touchdown run),” safety Corey Chavous said. “That play cost us. We made a lot of concentrated efforts on improving in some areas. We have to get a lot better, but we’re still seeking to improve. Next week we don’t want to give up any plays. So that’s the goal for us.”

Chavous, why don't you take some blame? Your the reason the run was busted all the way.
    RamsFan16

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post

Chavous, why don't you take some blame? Your the reason the run was busted all the way.
    Spot on RF16 Chavous needs to be accountable for his poor play and stand up and admit it. He really was the weak link on Sunday, not for the 1st time. What does he bring to the table other than his great leadership that we keep hearing about? Nothing, he is awful in coverage and misses far too many tackles. On Sunday he was the whiners best offensive player..

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Big props to the defense this week. Take out that big run, and Gore averaged 2.0 ypc the rest of the night. That's pretty impressive.

On the subject of that big run, the NFL.com recap suggests that Draft lost his grip on Gore to allow it. I couldn't really tell who it was when I saw it. I think Chavous had a shot at him, too, but it wasn't just one person's fault.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Big props to the defense this week. Take out that big run, and Gore averaged 2.0 ypc the rest of the night. That's pretty impressive.

On the subject of that big run, the NFL.com recap suggests that Draft lost his grip on Gore to allow it. I couldn't really tell who it was when I saw it. I think Chavous had a shot at him, too, but it wasn't just one person's fault.
    I disagree, yeah Gore broke through but Chavous has to wrap him up and not try and strip the ball. That TD was most definately on Cory IMO. A major role of a safety is to come up and make a tackle in the open-field and Chavous blew it, which isn't unusual for him..

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

great job by the defense this week, one bad run given up, theres many other weeks where that run would not even matter once the offense puts up some points, only giving up 17 will be a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast