Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Dangling Fitzpatrick

From Profootballtalk:

A league source tells us that the St. Louis Rams are trying to trade quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick, who played college football at Harvard, is the No. 3 quarterback on the Rams' depth chart.

It's believed that the Rams offered Fitzpatrick to the Vikings, who ended up acquiring Kelly Holcomb from the Eagles. If Fitzpatrick had gone to the Vikings, and if he were to play on the field with the team's No. 1 offense, it might have been the first time ever that a Harvard center was snapping the ball to a Harvard quarterback in the NFL. Matt Birk, a Harvard grad, is the long-time starter snapper in Minnesota.

Fitzpatrick has appeared in five regular-season games in two years with the Rams, starting three in 2005 due to injuries. His career passer rating in 2005 is 58.3.

Another team that could be interested in Fitzpatrick is the Lions, since Detroit offensive coordinator Mike Martz selected Fitzpatrick in the seventh round of the 2005 draft when Martz was the head coach of the Rams.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Dangling Fitzpatrick

Dangling doesnt mean much to me. THe question is what do we want for him. Holcomb went for a #6 pick. I dont see fitz as a starter and certainly not for the rams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

suhpr3me is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Dangling doesnt mean much to me. THe question is what do we want for him. Holcomb went for a #6 pick. I dont see fitz as a starter and certainly not for the rams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I can see him going to the Lions working with Mad Mike, but i agree that the question is what would we get for him? I absolutely have no idea.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    It is really hard to judge a player who has not had much of a chance to show his stuff. Yes, Fitz had the 'remarkable' game but has been mostly journeyman quality since. Potential will only get one so far in the NFL, but as a career back-up one can make a decent living.

Right, Jamie?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Country is offline Registered User

I would trade Fitz for a decent LB or S that could come in and bump someone from the team. But with the Vikings trading for Kelly Holcomb they are off the list of suitors so who knows who will want him.

I would deal Fitz and a 4th to the Lions for LB Teddy Lehman

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, it is also hard to forecast our QB back-up situation: how much longer is Frerotte (he turns 36 next week) expected to remain at stand-by behind Bulger? I know that some No. 2 QBs last a long time, such as Vinny 'Leather-helmet' Testaverde, age 44.

I thought Fitz (25) would be the next back-up to Bulger. The Harvard grad has acquired enough experience to know the Rams offense system pretty well. Just needs to get forged a little more in real games.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Well, it is also hard to forecast our QB back-up situation: how much longer is Frerotte (he turns 36 next week) expected to remain at stand-by behind Bulger? I know that some No. 2 QBs last a long time, such as Vinny 'Leather-helmet' Testaverde, age 44.

I thought Fitz (25) would be the next back-up to Bulger. The Harvard grad has acquired enough experience to know the Rams offense system pretty well. Just needs to get forged a little more in real games.
    Agreed. This is only Harvard's 4th year and he really is untested.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

what he said^

i hope he doesn't get traded. he still needs more time to show what he can do.

general counsel is offline Registered User

realistically, he is never going to get a chance to show what he can do in st louis. He is not at the level of a frerotte as a backup and he will become a free agent long before bulger is done being our starter. I dont see him at the schaub level at all.

The idea of the lions trading us lehman, who they love, is not going to happen. I would love to have lehman, but its not going to be for fitz and a 4.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I hear Atlanta is looking for a QB. Seriously.
    Semper Fi!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If Fitz were to be traded, who would be our #3 QB? Brock Berlin ?? I hope not ...

keith m. klink Guest

why would we want to trade him anyway , who is going to be the 3rd qb , brock berlin , c'mon folks , fitz has had some time in this system , his second year with linehan , he is a surely capable 3rd , and would move up when ferrotte is out of his contract . this article to me is just blah blah blah , hey the lions need a qb too , if fitz is a 4 year backup , and noone has been able to unseat him on the roster , why would we keep a lesser player and not him . makes nooooo sence to me .

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think the Rams and Fitzpatrick would be best served by a trade to Detroit. Although he's familiar with the Rams current system I don't think he's ever going to do much in a relatively conventional system. He has a tiny bit of value to Martz (I would guess) but as an NFL qb I don't see much from him. He'll never earn the starter's job and I would rather have a more prototypical guy being groomed for the Rams.

However, the Rams likely can't get much for him. If not for Martz he would have never been drafted in the first place and when you compare him side by side with a guy like Holcomb, who went for a 6th(?) then I'm sure the Lions will take their chances and just wait for him to be cut if they're even interested in the first place.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Actually, speaking of qb's, I'd love for the Rams to land Walter from Oakland if he winds up being the odd man out. Put him in a system with a supporting cast and he might actually be able to utilize his own physical tools.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

we won't get much for him,he's not a starter in the NFL and since he has no chance of really playing for us I would trade him for a pair of Van Halen tickets and dinner at Landrys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast