Thread: Rams dead money

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams dead money

OK...
    I thought this wasn't the greatest thing:

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the St. Louis Rams have a $4.7 million salary cap charge this season due to the contract of former QB Kurt Warner.

BUT then I read this...HOLY CRAP.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the San Francisco ***** have a substantial salary cap charge this season due to the contracts of former QB Jeff Garcia ($10.3 million) and WR Terrell Owens ($4.3 million). In total, the ***** have $26.96 million in "dead money" assigned to players no longer with the team this season.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams dead money

HA HA HA HA! :redface:
    That's what they get for their past evil ways.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Yeah, the Whiners have a lot of dead money this season, but should have a lot of free cap space next year, if I'm understanding their roster moves correctly.

It's like if we would have released Warner prior to June 1st. We would have had $11 million or more in dead money this season, but no dead money from him next year.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

the whiners are smart to take all the pain right now. they arent going to be competitive this year anyway so they are best off to give themselves maximum flexibility next year by minimizing their future dead money. This is basically the only way to rebuild in the nfl. Of course, the smart teams like the rams and the eagles have avoided the temptation to overpay for aging guys over the last few years, thereby limiting the risk of dead money at all.

Dead money is a very underated and important stat in the nfl in the cap era. If two people each recieve 80 marbles to start a season, and one guy loses 27 of those marbles before the season starts, it is highly unlikely that he is going to beat the team that started with all of its marbles. Not impossible, just unlikely.

I believe that the rams and eagles have been at or near the top of the dead money list for the last 5 years and the records reflect it.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I belive there still his dead money on him next year. By cutting hium after June 1 we get to split the 11 million over 2 years. I THINK I am correct on this. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Yeah, the Whiners have a lot of dead money this season, but should have a lot of free cap space next year, if I'm understanding their roster moves correctly.

It's like if we would have released Warner prior to June 1st. We would have had $11 million or more in dead money this season, but no dead money from him next year.

general counsel Guest

You are correct, the cap hit on warner is spread out between this year and next year due to the fact that we waited until after june 1 to waive him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    I belive there still his dead money on him next year. By cutting hium after June 1 we get to split the 11 million over 2 years. I THINK I am correct on this. Anyone?
    I know. I was elaborating on how the Whiners got into that position and how we avoided it but will have problems next season because of it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Warners dead money for next year makes it all that much more important to get The Big Man signed to a long term deal before the season starts so that we get cap relief in 2005.

The combination of warners dead money and a 8.4 million cap number on pace if we had to tag him again in 2005 would be very tough on the squad, and that doesnt even count the questionable cap situation involving damione lewis and the fact that polley is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the Rams have generally done a good job of avoiding "dead money" problems. The Warner situation was unusual, and, in his case, I think the Rams did what they had to do by letting him go when they did. Hopefully, the same thing won't happen with other players who received big contracts (Faulk, Holt, Little).