Thread: Rams defense

kman is offline Registered User

Rams defense

dont get me wrong, i love leonard little, but doesnt it always seem like our DE's always get up the field too much and too wide and get themselves out of the play too often?i think thats half our problem vs. the run..also, im soo tired of hearing how our def. is undersized..i really hope haslett brings some beef in the interior line..have you seen minnesota's defense? they're pass defense suxm, but they're on pace to break record for least rushing yards..why? have you seen the 2 DT's they have? or jax's stround and henderson? thats the main ingredient for run d..kennedy is too soft..he LOOKS the part, but hes too soft..he must take plays off..

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams defense

Well. Little has 12 sacks which is .5 behind the leader with 12.5 sacks, and dose a good job chasing down rushers. He should have gotten a Pro-Bowl spot, but that's another story. We do need to beef up the DT and MLB spots if the D is going to improve vs the rush.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I think Kman(Islands) brings up a valid point. I, too, have noticed Leonard taking either a wide split or a wide angle around the OT only to have the RB run right thru the gap he just vacated. Not sure if this is by design or if the D-line should make the appropriate adjustments, but it's happened on numerous occasions. BTW this is in no way a criticism of Leonard, just an observation that needs to be addressed.

WHAT SAY YE?

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

having a speed rusher on the outside can open up the middle of the field too much, which is why we need some size on the interior line. little is a playmaker and a perfect fit but the interior positions need some alterations. we also need a sud middle lineback filling up the holes. ww51 is a beast but i think he would be more suited playing his natural position out on the strong side and moving pisa to the weak side and adding some size. look at all the best d's in the league.. we need an urlacher or a lewis because the mlb is really the anchor of a solid defense. in my opinion we should also add a bit of size to the strong safety position and move chavous over to free. oj looks solid sometimes defending the pass but where we stand right now we need help stopping the run and oj just bounces off most of the guys in the league.
    i know a lot of those suggestion seem pretty radical and most of them are unrealistic but i'd like to hear what everyone has to say on the subject.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think a new SS, a new MLB and a redone DL can do wonders for this team. I think the corners, FS, OLBs and one DE spot are pretty much set, or will be solid enough that they will do well with talent around them.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    dont get me wrong, i love leonard little, but doesnt it always seem like our DE's always get up the field too much and too wide and get themselves out of the play too often?i think thats half our problem vs. the run..also, im soo tired of hearing how our def. is undersized..i really hope haslett brings some beef in the interior line..have you seen minnesota's defense? they're pass defense suxm, but they're on pace to break record for least rushing yards..why? have you seen the 2 DT's they have? or jax's stround and henderson? thats the main ingredient for run d..kennedy is too soft..he LOOKS the part, but hes too soft..he must take plays off..
    Good point Kman!! This is the problem i've been seeing also. Look at the tape, too many holes comming from the outside. Lb's don't read the run, they vacate their spots to blitz the outside along with our ends, and nobody's close enough to plug up the holes. This has been our achillies heel all season long. Too many holes due to lack of run support and high risk ineffective blitzing.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I think Kman(Islands) brings up a valid point. I, too, have noticed Leonard taking either a wide split or a wide angle around the OT only to have the RB run right thru the gap he just vacated. Not sure if this is by design or if the D-line should make the appropriate adjustments, but it's happened on numerous occasions. BTW this is in no way a criticism of Leonard, just an observation that needs to be addressed.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Leonard Little is an awesome DE in my opinion. The question posed about the outside rush leaving a huge gap for the oppostion to run through? Is this bad decision making on LL's part? Not reading or guessing what the opposing O is doing on a given play or plays?? Or is it a lack of support from a teammate?teammates?

kman is offline Registered User

perhaps my post sounded like i was putting blame on little, but i wasnt, thats why i mentioned him first and foremost..i just noticed he rarely uses a power rush, hes alwyas trying to go around OT's with speed and often is out of the play..but he makes so many good plays i can definateley live with that..my biggest beef with the D, is the lack of size..we've been hearing that for what 6,7 years now? it worked 5 years ago when lovie was running it, but not anymore..big MLB's are great and so are tough as nails SS, BUT the key ingredient is DT's stopping the run..I want two 350lb monsters in there on 1st and 2nd down..glover is undersized and shot..kennedy is too soft..hes in his what, 4th year? DT's dont take that long to develop, this isnt like the QB position..DT is about heart and attitude..plenty of other DT's making immediate impact..