r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The Rams Defense Defined In One Awful Play

It was the end of the first quarter on a second and three at the Rams 29 yard line. Julius Jones takes the handoff and is completely stuffed at the line, then spins away right into the arms of James Hall, who falls flat on his ass as Jones once again spins free and waltzes into the end zone for a touchdown. The most disturbing aspect of the play is that as Jones is spinning free from the pile, Will Witherspoon, Pisa Tinoisamoa and Ron Bartell are all looking at the ground where Jones was, and continue to look as he sprints downfield in plain view. He's five yards past them before they even have a clue he's not there. Then of course Corey Chavous wiffs on a chance to stop him at the 22.

This single play was a microcosm for the sorry state the Rams defense find themselves in. They are a confused, frustrated, unprepared, underachieving group with no chemistry and no direction. It's absolutely scarry.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams Defense Defined In One Awful Play

That play was the most pathetic thing I had ever seen in my life on a football field. They looked like a bunch of kids at an easter egg hunt!! But your right, that pretty much sums up our horrible defense. What is sad about this is I'm not sure getting rid of Haslett is going to fix this problem. It will take years of good drafting and some money in free agency to get something better than what we have now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    It will take years of good drafting and some money in free agency to get something better than what we have now.
    And that's the truth. You can't tell me that our poor drafting since 2000 has in no way, shape or form correlated to our poor winning percentage of late. We had that talent to compensate in the early 00's through even to 05/6, but I believe it's finally caught up with us.

maineram Guest

Maine -

They looked like a bunch of kids at an easter egg hunt!!
    That is an absolute spot on description of what it looked like.

What is sad about this is I'm not sure getting rid of Haslett is going to fix this problem.
    Yeah, as much of a problem I think Haslett is, he certainly can't take any of the heat on this.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Yeah, as much of a problem I think Haslett is, he certainly can't take any of the heat on this.

It's definently the results of poor drafting over the years. We might just not have the right players for Haslett's scheme, and if thats the case, either Haslett has to go or fresh blood needs to be brought in.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I've been keeping tight lipped this season so far... trying to let the Rams' play speak for itself. Unfortunately, their play is speaking volumes in the negative. We all knew going in that the schedule would be real tough from the outset, but the Rams' 0-3 record can not be mitigated by that... your (meaning all of you prior to this post) comments are spot on. The fact is, the Rams haven't been competitive in these games and its been truly tragic so far.

oh well... i'll be there this Sunday with my screaming cap on to cheer the team on and see what they can do at home. after all, the law of averages says they can't lose them all, right?...... ... right?

moloch41 Guest

Of course it's on Haslett- bad technique, vanilla schemes, and unmotivated players are all on him. Like I've been saying since he got here, you keep playing the type of rope-a-dope defense he employs where we take the hits instead of dishing them out, players lose interest and that's when they start missing tackles and assignments.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

You can't force a square peg into a round hole. Haslett can stick with his defensive schemes all he wants. Trying to force the players to adjust. How's that working after 35 games??? It's time to adjust to the talent level and figure out what combinations or play calls work best. That's what coaches do.

Haslett's fiery attitude and stubborness may be his worst enemy.

GO RAMS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Of course it's on Haslett- bad technique, vanilla schemes, and unmotivated players are all on him. Like I've been saying since he got here, you keep playing the type of rope-a-dope defense he employs where we take the hits instead of dishing them out, players lose interest and that's when they start missing tackles and assignments.
    You have a point moloch, although these guys have to be held accountable for something. It's too bad someone can't post a video, because it's shocking to see three professional football players all staring at the ground and completely clueless where the ball carrier actually was, for several seconds no less.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You have a point moloch, although these guys have to be held accountable for something. It's too bad someone can't post a video, because it's shocking to see three professional football players all staring at the ground and completely clueless where the ball carrier actually was, for several seconds no less.

I agree that the players have been just awful and unmotivated- but I've been predicting this was going to happen if he didn't change his philosophy and it looks like I was right. The same is happening on the offense- players just don't believe and are no longer listening to the coaches. It just breeds poor effort and lapses in concentration. Before Jones broke some of those long runs, we were getting continually softened up by street free agent receivers and I think it took the fight out of them early.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The Rams defense from 1970-1979 was the NFL's best in total points allowed. Yes, things go in cycles, but oh, how the mighty have fallen...

I say get all of these current Rams in a room and show them the exploits of Jack Youngblood, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Fred Dryer, Hacksaw Reynolds and company. Show Ron Bartell and Tye Hill videos of Pat Thomas and Rod Perry in their heyday. Show Corey Chavous continuous Nolan Cromwell footage so he can actually tackle somebody.

You know, it's unfair to expect more from a player than he's capable of giving. And obviously, some of these guys are marginal players. But I can't believe the talent level is that poor- which means coaching is a major shortcoming.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I knew the Defense was in trouble since last year, one of the worst plays i ever saw the rams blow. The game against the Cowboys, where the ball was snapped over Romos head and he went after it and pusehed it back further by accident, and when he finally picked it up he was about 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage, and then ran it back for a 4 yard gain. One of the worst things ive ever seen. im glad i didnt get to see this play with Julius jones.