eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams defense high on the intangibles list

By VanRam Truf Show

Using the game charting data from Football Outsiders, Yahoo Sports has a look at the NFL's All-intangible team. Several players from the St. Louis Rams defense make the cut.

The names won't exactly surprise you. These three players, two of them pre-date Spagnuolo, made up the foundation of the Rams defense this year, just one year removed from being the league's second worst defense.

Let's take a look at the players that made the All-Intangibles cut.

DE Chris Long - No surprise here. Long commanded the attention of opposing double teams all season. He didn't actually lead the team in sacks - James Hall did with 10.5 - but he did lead the league with 38 quarterback hurries, a sign of just how often he was in the backfield. That was a big help to another player on the intangibles list...

CB Ron Bartell - Yes, the dropped interceptions haunt us, but Bartell was excellent in coverage all season. Of 78 passes thrown his direction (completions and incompletions) he had a yards per pass of 4.7 YPP, second best in the league.

A new addition to the Rams starting lineup in 2010 had a big impact on the defense's overall improvement.

DT Fred Robbins - Remember when the Rams used to get gashed by running backs of all stripes? Backup runners piled up numbers that would be a good game for Adrian Peterson against the Rams defenses of old. Not this year. The Rams run defense had a 0.5 percent DVOA this year (20th); the year before they had a 10.8 percent DVOA against the run, the league's worst. Robbins limited opposing rushers to just 0.1 yards per carry (obviously that's on runs in his direction) the best mark in the league.

If the Rams can get another year like that out of Robbins and address a glaring need at weakside linebacker, they could have a really elite run defense. Think of what those run defense numbers would have been with a stouter DT next to Robbins too.

:ramlogo:

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Rams defense high on the intangibles list

Guys,

This is really something to feel good about. I love hearing numbers like that. And I think that we can only add to the mix with what was just mentioned. WILL LB was a killer for us this past season and I hope we address that concern. But here's to nice offseason full of FA and draft activity by our FO!!

Cheers!! ( Heineken)

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

True our defense has made such great heights but also remember we've often times faced teams with bad offenses (or at least that were in a bad state ex. Chargers, Broncos). Now that we have a tougher schedule next season (assuming there is one) will determine our true colors as a team in terms of progression. And lets not forget that can all change if Robbins and Hall hit the aging wall and that we don't address the issue in roster depth.

richtree is offline Registered User

Let's be honest Robbins is aging, Hall played over his head and the whole defense over-achieved.

Spags defense system got 110% out of a crew that may have been the least talented of the NFC West.

We need to add some players that can have an immediate impact.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Cool information, but neither this write-up nor the Yahoo article it's based on is really an article about intangibles but rather non-traditional stats.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Let's be honest Robbins is aging, Hall played over his head and the whole defense over-achieved.

Spags defense system got 110% out of a crew that may have been the least talented of the NFC West.

We need to add some players that can have an immediate impact.
    Isn't that what a good coach does? scratch that... an excellent coach does...
    squeeze the best of what they have...

probably we could have done better with more talent... I agree we need more help, but I'm not sure we are not talented... I'm more inclined to think that spags is making some washed out players (hall) rediscover their true value/talent

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    Isn't that what a good coach does? scratch that... an excellent coach does...
    squeeze the best of what they have...

probably we could have done better with more talent... I agree we need more help, but I'm not sure we are not talented... I'm more inclined to think that spags is making some washed out players (hall) rediscover their true value/talent
    Agreed, just harder to sustain year to year without the horsepower