• 2 Post By shower beers
  • 1 Post By RealRam

Thread: Rams Disgusted With OT Loss At Arizona

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Disgusted With OT Loss At Arizona

Rams disgusted with OT loss at Arizona

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
    Nov 6, 9:45 pm EST

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP)—The St. Louis Rams seemed to have victory sewn up. All they needed was a fourth field goal of the day from Josh Brown as time expired.

The 42-yarder was well within the reliable kicker’s range. But Arizona’s 6-foot-8 Calais Campbell soared to block the kick and send the game to overtime. Then rookie Patrick Peterson put a stunning end to the game with a 99-yard punt return and the Cardinals won 19-13, snapping a six-game skid.

“It is probably the toughest loss I have had since I have been in the league,” said Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, back after missing two games with a high left ankle sprain. “I felt that for the most part we controlled this game. At the end with the opportunities we had in their territory and to possibly go ahead and not convert, it is tough.”

The Rams (1-7) were coming off their first win of the season, a 31-21 upset of New Orleans. They dominated the first half statistically Sunday, yet led just 9-6. Still, after two Arizona safeties on consecutive offensive plays, St. Louis led 13-7. Even after the Cardinals rallied, the Rams seemed to be in position to still pull it out.

“You are going to have games like this where you feel like you did everything right to win the game but couldn’t finish out.,” Rams linebacker Brady Poppinga said. “Give Arizona credit. They held in there until the final play and they made the play. They made one more play than us.”

That play was a stunner, one that went totally against what a punt returner is supposed to do. Nobody fields a punt at his 1-yard line—except the confident, talented rookie from LSU.

“On conventional wisdom, I am sure that his coaches, when he caught it, were saying `You’re supposed to let it go,”’ St. Louis coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “So it’s where we wanted to kick it. It was a gutsy play by a really good player. I don’t know what else to say. I don’t think we did anything wrong.”

Peterson became the first player in NFL history to have three punt returns for scores in his first eight games. His was the second touchdown punt return in overtime in NFL history; the other was 86 yards by Tamarick Vanover of Kansas City to beat San Diego on Oct. 9, 1995.

“He’s a special young man,” Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “I’m glad that we have him on our football team—my new son.”

John Skelton, starting in place of Arizona’s Kevin Kolb, gave up safeties on consecutive plays in the third quarter, then threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to Larry Fitzgerald with 4:51 to tie the game 13-13.

Brown had field goals of 48, 37 and 41 yards.

Steven Jackson rushed for 130 yards in 29 carries and Sam Bradford was 23 of 36 for 255 yards. Skelton was 20 of 35 for 222 yards for the Rams.

Donnie Jones twice pinned the Cardinals inside their 10-yard line in the third quarter to set up the safeties. The first punt was downed at the 2. Arizona moved it to the 5, then James Hall burst through for a sack for a safety that boosted St. Louis’ lead to 11-6. Arizona got the ball at its 9 the next time, and Skelton was called for intentional grounding on a rollout pass, giving the Rams a 13-6 lead.

It was the first time a player yielded two safeties in a quarter since Aaron Rodgers did it against Minnesota on Nov. 9, 2008. The last player to have safeties on consecutive plays was Kordell Stewart of Pittsburgh against Jacksonville on Oct. 3, 1999.

The safeties marked the first time in NFL history a team had scored a total of four points in a quarter.

With Kolb out with a turf toe, Skelton, a 2010 fifth-round draft pick out of Fordham, brought the Cardinals back with a no-huddle offense. He completed 5 of 7 passes for 47 yards and scrambled twice for 28 on a nine-play, 84-yard drive for the game’s only touchdown on a leaping grab by Fitzgerald in the back of the end zone.

The Rams took the subsequent kickoff and drove to the Arizona 32, where they had third-and-1, but twice Jackson was stopped for no gain, the first time by O’Brien Schofield, the second by Darnell Dockett. St. Louis chose to go for it on fourth-and-one rather than let Brown try a 50-yarder.

St. Louis got another chance.

Bradford’s 23-yard pass to Austin Pettis(notes) moved the ball to the 42, then a 5-yarder to Pettis moved it to the 37. Cornerback Michael Adams was injured on the play and had to be carted off. St. Louis tight end Lance Kendricks and wide receiver Greg Salas had been taken off on carts earlier.

The pass interference penalty on Peterson—against Brandon Lloyd, who caught five for 80 yards—moved the ball well within Brown’s range. The Cardinals had lost four games by four points or fewer and they seemed headed for a fifth, until Campbell, with a generous shove from Dockett, knocked the kick away.

“It’s one of those ones that stings extremely deep to the soul of a competitor,” Poppinga said. “We had every opportunity to win, and just couldn’t as a team finish it out.”

Salas probably is out for the season with a broken leg. The Rams also lost Kendricks with a sprained foot, Josh Hull with a hamstring injury and Brandon Gibson with a hip injury.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Disgusted With OT Loss At Arizona

You sure the title is correct? I thought it would be something like Rams fans disgusted with loss at Arizona.
    RockinRam likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Any competitor with a shred of self respect would be disgusted. But until I see this group go out there and win consistently,as far as I'm concerned it means nothing.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

St. Louis coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “So it’s where we wanted to kick it. It was a gutsy play by a really good player. I don’t know what else to say. I don’t think we did anything wrong.”
    You don't think we did anything wrong? Are you ****ing kidding me? Not tackling that little ****er was wrong. I'm going to kick you in the balls, then say "I don't think I did anything wrong."
    RamDez, HUbison, laram0 and 5 others like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Rams disgusted with OT loss at Arizona
    You sure? I think they're content now after receiving Spag's little womanly moral victory, we'll get em next time reassurance story.

“It is probably the toughest loss I have had since I have been in the league,” said Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, back after missing two games with a high left ankle sprain. “I felt that for the most part we controlled this game. At the end with the opportunities we had in their territory and to possibly go ahead and not convert, it is tough.”
    You serious Sam? You don't control the game when you have a field goal lead. You control the game when you rack up the score, and pounding the hell out of the other team till they tap out. Making wimpy field goals doesn't control anything. You need to step it up also Bradford.

“You are going to have games like this where you feel like you did everything right to win the game but couldn’t finish out.,” Rams linebacker Brady Poppinga said. “Give Arizona credit. They held in there until the final play and they made the play. They made one more play than us.”
    If we did everything right, we would have won... Obviously we had mistakes and many shortcomings.

John Skelton, starting in place of Arizona’s Kevin Kolb, gave up safeties on consecutive plays in the third quarter, then threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to Larry Fitzgerald with 4:51 to tie the game 13-13.
    He made plays when it counted, and they won. That's the difference between winners, and losers. You can do whatever the hell you want, but if you can't clutch it out, then you still lose, and no one cares how you performed the rest of the game. MAKE THE PLAYS WHEN IT COUNTS.
    rNemesis likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

If the players feel as if they did everything right, then their attitude is much worse than I originally thought. Are they that far out of touch? Their comments certainly apply that they have very low expectations, and I can see why they seem to limp around on the field at times.

That seems like a pretty terrible attitude to have in the locker room.
    RockinRam and bradwill like this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

St. Louis coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “So it’s where we wanted to kick it. It was a gutsy play by a really good player. I don’t know what else to say. I don’t think we did anything wrong.”
    You mean other than lose?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You sure the title is correct? I thought it would be something like Rams fans disgusted with loss at Arizona.
    or RamsFans Disgusted With RAMS

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    If the players feel as if they did everything right, then their attitude is much worse than I originally thought. Are they that far out of touch? Their comments certainly apply that they have very low expectations, and I can see why they seem to limp around on the field at times.

That seems like a pretty terrible attitude to have in the locker room.
    True,I'd also add that it starts at the top.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I'm disgusted reading this article. Our coach doesn't know how to win, and its clearly rubbed off on our players.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -11-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I'm disgusted reading this article. Our coach doesn't know how to win, and its clearly rubbed off on our players.
    I'm sick of these SPAGS diplomatic press conferences!!!! He needs to show us the fans some ENERGY both good (he had 1 chance so far for that) and bad. How can we take this guy serious with all his low key BS! Get Mad Dang It!

macrammer is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=r8rh8rmike;402610]Rams disgusted with OT loss at Arizona

“On conventional wisdom, I am sure that his coaches, when he caught it, were saying `You’re supposed to let it go,”’ St. Louis coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “So it’s where we wanted to kick it. It was a gutsy play by a really good player. I don’t know what else to say. I don’t think we did anything wrong.”

Somehow this statement sums up Spags coaching prowess....Just oozes with motivation and confidence, huh? How about tackle the guy or better yet, call a better game and we would never have been in OT to see this ROOKIE burn us.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, you see, Spag's comment is a lighter / softer version of ...

"THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!! -- And we let 'em off the hook!"

AAAAARGHHH!!! ...Come on Coach.

Last edited by RealRam; -11-10-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Mad
    live4ramin likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

BTW, anyone know what state of mind Jax was after that terrible loss to AZ?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    BTW, anyone know what state of mind Jax was after that terrible loss to AZ?

I don't even think I want to know. Yikes. That is not a man to have on your bad side, I would imagine.