Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rams dominate Saints in 27-16 victory; The Good, the Bad and the (one play) Ugly

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Re: Rams dominate Saints in 27-16 victory; The Good, the Bad and the (one play) Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Let's hope the Cowboys can get the job done, leaving us to cheer for the Giants in the last week at home vs. the Redskins in the hope that the Rams can wind up with the #2 overall pick.
    NEVER!! I would just as soon hope that our preferred player is still available at our [Redskins] draft position, and enjoy the Cowboys missing out on the playoffs again.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams dominate Saints in 27-16 victory; The Good, the Bad and the (one play) Ugly

Really, really pleased at what the Rams were able to do yesterday. They received great, timely play from a variety of people. They jumped out early, which was critical. They had two big picks. They played with emotion.

Particularly impressive was the play early on by the secondary, of whom I and others have been (fairly) critical. They capitalized on Brees' mistakes early. Their coverage was generally good. This is what is needed from them on a game to game basis. Laurinaitis and Quinn did a great job all day. And Zac Stacy is on pace to possibly get 1000 yards for the season. Who would've thought...

If there is a negative it is the Rams putrid offense in the 2nd half. I understand conservative play with a back-up QB and a big lead against a good team. But 3 points in the 2nd half is unacceptable. And it could've cost them- the Saints missed two easy field goals and a 2-pt conversion.

Overall, however, it will be a nice week to be a Rams fan after a win vs. a quality opponent.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I have been critical of JJ play this year but I always felt he had the ability and yesterday, IMO was his best game as a Ram. The play in the end zone on two passes whereby the swatted them away was awesome.

This game tells me how close we are to putting the losing in the rear view mirror. Fun to watch and much deserved "joydom" for Ram nation!!!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Really, really pleased at what the Rams were able to do yesterday. They received great, timely play from a variety of people. They jumped out early, which was critical. They had two big picks. They played with emotion.

Particularly impressive was the play early on by the secondary, of whom I and others have been (fairly) critical. They capitalized on Brees' mistakes early. Their coverage was generally good. This is what is needed from them on a game to game basis. Laurinaitis and Quinn did a great job all day. And Zac Stacy is on pace to possibly get 1000 yards for the season. Who would've thought...

If there is a negative it is the Rams putrid offense in the 2nd half. I understand conservative play with a back-up QB and a big lead against a good team. But 3 points in the 2nd half is unacceptable. And it could've cost them- the Saints missed two easy field goals and a 2-pt conversion.

Overall, however, it will be a nice week to be a Rams fan after a win vs. a quality opponent.
    We blocked those FG they did not miss them and we stopped them on the 2-pt conversion you don't miss on a 2-pt conversion. Give us some credit when credit is due. Rip us all you want when we play like crap that's fair but to make statements like this to take away from our good play I think is kind of unfair don't you?

Ask the Cowboys if they would take scoring three points and winning or forcing the issue and giving the game away on two late picks. Again kind of seems like you are going out of your way to bash the team IMO. You have a right to your opinions I get that but come on and give a little credit once and awhile. Last week you went on a rant after a loss and said we where regression and we are the same old Rams. How about enjoying a great team win over a playoff bound team that needed that win!

Go Rams!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great write-up as always GC. I must admit that I thought the first blocked FG was from TJ McDonald, but I was only able to watch the game via NFL Red Zone. Due to that I probably missed some of what you saw of Ogletree. I was really pleased from what I witnessed that we're seeing the maturation of a really talented OLB who will be a star in the NFL for many years to come. I do agree with your thoughts on Jenkins and Johnson our CB's. They appear to be maturing as well and I thought they played well against a very high octane passing offense. Beating Drew Brees, one of the 4elite QB's in the league was a great accomplishment for the entire defense, but particularly the DB's. Incidentally, I saw that Jeff Fisher is 5-0 vs the Saints. Glad we could extend his streak.

Rambos, I must agree with NJ that I was concerned about our offense in the 2nd half. I may not use the word putrid, but I feel that after we built a solid lead we needed to keep the pressure up and keep scoring. We were fortunate that our defense kept the Saints in check, but what if they hadn't, we might no be as joyful as we are today. I know we're playing with a back-up QB, but we needed to do better than 1 FG in the 2nd half. I'm not bashing the Rams, this was a terrific win, but we're a young team in a learning mode and when you've got you opponent down we need to put nails in that coffin.

Anyway, great win and I hope we win out so that we're 8-8. Tampa Bay will not be a gimme as we may have thought earlier in the season. Those guys are playing for their jobs.

Go Rams!

citr92 is offline Registered User

doesn't help when the coaches go conservative for one...

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Great write-up as always GC. I must admit that I thought the first blocked FG was from TJ McDonald, but I was only able to watch the game via NFL Red Zone. Due to that I probably missed some of what you saw of Ogletree. I was really pleased from what I witnessed that we're seeing the maturation of a really talented OLB who will be a star in the NFL for many years to come. I do agree with your thoughts on Jenkins and Johnson our CB's. They appear to be maturing as well and I thought they played well against a very high octane passing offense. Beating Drew Brees, one of the 4elite QB's in the league was a great accomplishment for the entire defense, but particularly the DB's. Incidentally, I saw that Jeff Fisher is 5-0 vs the Saints. Glad we could extend his streak.

Rambos, I must agree with NJ that I was concerned about our offense in the 2nd half. I may not use the word putrid, but I feel that after we built a solid lead we needed to keep the pressure up and keep scoring. We were fortunate that our defense kept the Saints in check, but what if they hadn't, we might no be as joyful as we are today. I know we're playing with a back-up QB, but we needed to do better than 1 FG in the 2nd half. I'm not bashing the Rams, this was a terrific win, but we're a young team in a learning mode and when you've got you opponent down we need to put nails in that coffin.

Anyway, great win and I hope we win out so that we're 8-8. Tampa Bay will not be a gimme as we may have thought earlier in the season. Those guys are playing for their jobs.

Go Rams!
    We where up by 14 when Fisher called the onside kick right? He knew we needed to steal a possession even with the lead at that point. If we give them the ball back on that play and they score on a short field we would all be questioning that call. I agree that three points will not get it done in most cases, But it did in this game right? And it did because we got some solid play from a lot of players.

All it would have taken was one pick six while trying to extend the lead and it could have been a closer game. I get the fact we played tight to the vest in the second half, but the game was not handed to us by them either that's all I'm saying.

I would have loved to see Quick, Cook, Givens and Bailey get more opportunities but I also understand we are trying to win games.

Anyone can rip the Rams all they want they are your team too, just try and be balanced once in awhile, it has not been the season any of us wanted or expected and it was nice to win a game like that IMO.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We blocked those FG they did not miss them and we stopped them on the 2-pt conversion you don't miss on a 2-pt conversion. Give us some credit when credit is due. Rip us all you want when we play like crap that's fair but to make statements like this to take away from our good play I think is kind of unfair don't you?

Ask the Cowboys if they would take scoring three points and winning or forcing the issue and giving the game away on two late picks. Again kind of seems like you are going out of your way to bash the team IMO. You have a right to your opinions I get that but come on and give a little credit once and awhile. Last week you went on a rant after a loss and said we where regression and we are the same old Rams. How about enjoying a great team win over a playoff bound team that needed that win!

Go Rams!
    Are you kidding me, Rambos??? I absolutely gave credit to multiple people/units and the tone of my post isn't even remotely negative. Whether the field goals were blocked or missed is irrelevant to my one point, which was simply that a team should not be overly conservative when it has built up a lead, it must keep its foot on the gas. We didn't do that, and it almost cost us.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I wonder how we would have felt and/or responded today if the onside kick failed?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Are you kidding me, Rambos??? I absolutely gave credit to multiple people/units and the tone of my post isn't even remotely negative. Whether the field goals were blocked or missed is irrelevant to my one point, which was simply that a team should not be overly conservative when it has built up a lead, it must keep its foot on the gas. We didn't do that, and it almost cost us.
    No I'm not kidding... we won the game yet the 2nd half is unacceptable. Just seems like no matter what Fisher and this team does is never good enough.

I think the word unacceptable just set me off, no sure why. I don't think the way we finished the game was unacceptable. We had the lead and ran as much clock as we could. If we passed the ball and had a few three and outs with the clock not running could have come back to bite us as well. I agree it would have been nice to score and blow them out, but we won the game. It seemed very acceptable to me to beat a division leader trying to punch their ticket by beat us.

I must be having a bad day
    live4ramin likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Cheer up Rambos think of what it feels like being a Cowboys fan today or a Redskins fan for the past few weeks. You and NJ can debate the nuances of words all you want. My point for agreeing with him was that we need to play more consistently in every game. I readily acknowledge that we're working with a back-up QB and allowances need to be made. Teams that don't finish well often don't go anywhere in the playoffs and I fully expect us to be there next year.

Go Rams!
    Rambos and live4ramin like this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I, for one, never give enough cred when we win. If we can get these guys hooked up, then watch the hell out.

I said "we", but you know what I mean. I feel like I'm pushing the wagon too (better than riding).
    Prepare to be amazed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12