Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams draft slot could come down to coin toss

With the Seahawks, Raiders and Bengals all posting wins Sunday, as the Rams choked away another win for the sceond straight week, again blowing 10 point halftime lead with a fourth quarter collapse, the Rams draft position is pretty clear.

The problem is, all that's clear is that it could be decided by a coin toss.
    The Chiefs and Rams opponents records appear to be headed for an exact tie, even to the point where one of each of their opponents had a tie this year, the Eagles on the Rams side and the Bengals on the Chiefs.

Looking at the non-shared opponents, and eliminating those that play one another the last week, there are only a handful of games that matter in a tie breaker between the Rams and Chiefs (What a great year for Missouri).

The Rams seem to have the edge in the way the final week could play out, and it's always a different week, with poor weather and playoff teams resting stars creating big "upsets".

As it stands now, both the Rams and Chiefs opponents project to 136 wins and a tie. Here are the games that could change that.

Should Oakland defeat Tampa Bay, the net for Kansas City is one more opponent win, as they played the Raiders twice and Bucs once.

If Tennessee defeats Indy, which is quite possible, the result is also bad for the Chiefs, another +1 as they did not play Indy.

So the best the Chiefs could be is the original prediction of 136 1/2 wins.

Should the Niners defeat Washington, the Rams would add 1 win to thier total. This means the only way the Rams lose out without a coin toss is if that's the only upset in the games that I list here, the only ones that make a difference in this situation.

Even if the Niners win, that would be offset by three other games yet to be played by Rams opponents, primarily the Bears.

The Rams shave off an opponent win if Green Bay beats the Bears tonight, and/or Chicago loses to Houston in week 17. Should the Bears lose both predicted wins, the net opponents win change would be -2 for the Rams.

Also, if the Vikings beat the Giants, it's another -1 for the Rams.

The Best the Chiefs can finish is an opponent win total of 136 1/2, and they could be as high as 138 1/2.

The Rams could be 137 1/2 at worst, and 133 1/2 at best.

The two teams tie if all predictions hold true, or the Niners and either Oakland or Tennessee, but not BOTH win.

So why does it even matter if the Rams pick second or third?

Well, what if Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford, who would be the best two QBs in the draft if they come out, are the best two players as well, and the Chiefs are hungry for one of the two under a new team President.

The Rams would also look very hard at drafting a QB in that scenario, and Billy Devaney has said as much. That could be the ONLY scenario that could invite a trade at the top of the draft, especially if the Lions, as expected, take a QB first.

It could be a real plus for the Rams to attract a deal as a tie breaker in the draft room as whether to take a passer. Maybe all the Rams get is a 3rd rounder, but who knows, if KC is desperate enough. If you could get enough to make taking a passer in round two attractive if the right guy is on the board, it's a great deal.

Barry Waller

Falconator Guest

Re: Rams draft slot could come down to coin toss

hire Thomas Dimitroff(Falcons GM) to call the coin toss - he won it for the Falcons with Oakland last year

Good luck - call "tails"

shower beers is offline Registered User

Holy crap. I didn't know losing could be so complicated!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Holy crap. I didn't know losing could be so complicated!
    lol sound more complicated than the playoffs.
    :ramlogo:

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

How depressing is this that we have to be hear about tie breakers and scenarios for the #2 draft pick instead of for making the playoffs. I don't think the 90's were even this bad.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    How depressing is this that we have to be hear about tie breakers and scenarios for the #2 draft pick instead of for making the playoffs. I don't think the 90's were even this bad.
    You are right for one year mabe two years but you have to look at it over all. If we keep going we will hit rock bottem.
    :ramlogo:

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Chances are that if we get the #2 or #3 pick we'll have a shot at Andre Smith as we cannot realistically think about drafting a top-flight QB with a "swiss cheese" O-Line. KC drafted Brnden Albert last year so they're unlikey to pick another O-Liner at the top of the first round.

Go Rams!

maineram Guest

Thanks for the post Barry.

I can see you in your box shaking your head as the Rams final drive unfolds !!!

Maineram -

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    KC drafted Brnden Albert last year so they're unlikey to pick another O-Liner at the top of the first round.

Go Rams!
    That's what I thought initially, but UPON FURTHER REVIEW (I just love saying that anymore) I not so sure now. KC has something called Damion McIntosh at RT and they could easily be tempted to replace him by drafting Andre Smith for the left side and moving Brandon Albert over to the right.
    Remember, the Chiefs are a lot like the Rams (well moreso than just living in Missouri and being complete losers) in that they want to run the bulk of their offense thru their own overpaid RB (Larry Johnson in this case) and they need to beef up their O Line just like we hope to.
    Therefore if Andre Smith is there when they pick he could very well be the choice.

Not what we all want to hear but I'm afraid very possible.

WHAT SAY YE?

Tony Soprano Guest

We need that No. 2 slot.

Andre Smith is CLEARLY the best Offensive Lineman in the Draft.

If the Chiefs are ahead of us they can still work deals with the team
    picking after us. The Chiefs know that Andre Smith is coveted around the
    league.

Of course QB's are our best friend in this instance - teams will try to move up to get a a QB. QB's also tend to move up the charts in the last weeks before the draft.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Well, maybe we can at least win THAT.

DistantRam Guest

I don't know why the entire process is so overcomplicated. Why the NFL doesn't introduce a simple tie-breaker based on points difference is beyond me. If, say, our points deficit is 350 and Cincinatti's 340, we would pick ahead of them. It's not difficult, is it?

Tony Soprano Guest

One of the tie breakers should be, if you had a Coach named Linehan...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Honestly, it shouldn't matter. If we get the #2 pick, so be it. If we get the #3 pick, then that's less money that has to go to our first pick, and if the new powers-that-be are worth anything they will have more than 2 players on their wish list anyway.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Chicago won last night, does that mean anything?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast