Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

rams draft status going into final week

If we lose to arizona, we can pick no worse than 4th. I dont know how the tiebreakers work between us and the jets and falcons. Picking 4th, i think we get our pick of any player other than dorsey, mcfaddin or ryan (the falcons i am sure will take a qb, even if its not ryan). This disregards trade downs of course.

There are three teams currently with 4 wins. The chiefs (who play the jets in ny), ravens (who have virtually no shot to win against anyone at this point and are desparate for a qb), the raiders (who i think would be highly likely to take chris long if they pick ahead of us and who play san diego).

Thus, regardless of what happens in the last week, we wont pick worse than 7th.

Does anyone have any idea how we stand tiebreaker wise against the falcons/jets if we tie with three wins or vs. the other 4 win teams if we somehow win the last game. I am most interested in knowing how we would compare pick wise to the raiders if we both had 4 wins.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GSOT is offline Registered User

Re: rams draft status going into final week

I'm pretty sure if we lose we are the 2nd pick in the draft.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

we would be the 3rd pick in the draft due to the fact that we beat the falcons

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    If we lose to arizona, we can pick no worse than 4th. I dont know how the tiebreakers work between us and the jets and falcons. Picking 4th, i think we get our pick of any player other than dorsey, mcfaddin or ryan (the falcons i am sure will take a qb, even if its not ryan). This disregards trade downs of course.

There are three teams currently with 4 wins. The chiefs (who play the jets in ny), ravens (who have virtually no shot to win against anyone at this point and are desparate for a qb), the raiders (who i think would be highly likely to take chris long if they pick ahead of us and who play san diego).

Thus, regardless of what happens in the last week, we wont pick worse than 7th.

Does anyone have any idea how we stand tiebreaker wise against the falcons/jets if we tie with three wins or vs. the other 4 win teams if we somehow win the last game. I am most interested in knowing how we would compare pick wise to the raiders if we both had 4 wins.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    It works on stength of schedule asa tiebreaker, unlike the playiff picture, which accounts for Team Schedule and tiebreakers. This means that even though we've beaten Atlanta, if they lose and we do too, we'll still maintain the number 2 pick. At this stage the order based on SOS is Fins, Rams, Jets, Falcs.

Therefore, if we squeeze out a W this week, the worst we'll do is fourth, as we have the toughest SOS of the teams with a 3-12 or 4-11 schedule (havent double checked that stat, if anyone has qualms).

In that scenario, we may lose contention for Chris Long, as the Falcons may go BPA and take McFadden, instead of Ryan, like you've indicated. This would leave the Jets with a choice between Jake or Chris Long, and the latter seems a perfect fit for their scheme, remebering that they drafted 2 OL in the first round two years ago in D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

I think I'm citing something i've read, here...It appears that Jake Long may be the safer pick, but Chris Long the one with more star potential.

That would leave the Rams with an interesting decision to make at pick 4, be it Jake Long, or even Vernon Gholston.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    It works on stength of schedule asa tiebreaker, unlike the playiff picture, which accounts for Team Schedule and tiebreakers. This means that even though we've beaten Atlanta, if they lose and we do too, we'll still maintain the number 2 pick. At this stage the order based on SOS is Fins, Rams, Jets, Falcs.

Therefore, if we squeeze out a W this week, the worst we'll do is fourth, as we have the toughest SOS of the teams with a 3-12 or 4-11 schedule (havent double checked that stat, if anyone has qualms).

In that scenario, we may lose contention for Chris Long, as the Falcons may go BPA and take McFadden, instead of Ryan, like you've indicated. This would leave the Jets with a choice between Jake or Chris Long, and the latter seems a perfect fit for their scheme, remebering that they drafted 2 OL in the first round two years ago in D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

I think I'm citing something i've read, here...It appears that Jake Long may be the safer pick, but Chris Long the one with more star potential.

That would leave the Rams with an interesting decision to make at pick 4, be it Jake Long, or even Vernon Gholston.
    We would not have the 4th pick based on our SOS being toughest, it would actually be because it is the weakest. When it is the weakest, it shows which team is in need of a quality player much more than the team with a tougher schedule. I still don't believe we will lose out on Chris Long at 4, however, but if we do it should be Gholston who is our pick. We need a beast in our front seven and he is definitely it.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    We would not have the 4th pick based on our SOS being toughest, it would actually be because it is the weakest. When it is the weakest, it shows which team is in need of a quality player much more than the team with a tougher schedule. I still don't believe we will lose out on Chris Long at 4, however, but if we do it should be Gholston who is our pick. We need a beast in our front seven and he is definitely it.
    Whoops, my bad. Consider it a "Christams eve flurry" typo.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

if we lose and miami wins we will have the first pick fyi

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I don't think so, that would give us a 3-13 record and miami a 2-14 record. Pretty sure they'd still have the 1st pick.

GameTime is offline Registered User

On chris long:

First off, I know little to nothing about the upcoming draft class. So if we are in contention to pick this guy. I am a little concerned.

Is it possible that his "star potential", and status overall is hyped due to his name?

I just dont want to make and "Eli Manning" pick thinking we are getting Peyton.

Please make me feel better about this guy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Miami is the #1 pick, that's already written in stone. After that it depends first record, then as has been mentioned, strength of schedule (weakest to strongest). Here's the current SOS for the 3 and 4 win teams.
    2. St. Louis Rams 3-12 (.5125)
    3. New York Jets 3-12 (.5250)
    4. Atlanta Falcons 3-12 (.5292)
    5. Kansas City Chiefs 4-11 (.5085)
    6. Oakland Raiders 4-11 (.5127)
    7. Baltimore Ravens 4-11 (.5146)
    So if we lose to Arizona, we probably stay at 2nd, however....SOS can't be measured until all the scores are final, so the Jets could creep ahead of us, especially with the 4-11 (will be 5-11 if the Jets lose) just a hair's width away in SOS. I don't think Atlanta can pass us though. Maybe mathmatically, but not practically.

However, a win could drop us to 6th (won't be 7th as either the Jets or Chiefs will have to win).

I never, I repeat N.E.V.E.R., root against the Rams, but I'm not going to pretend that I won't be thinking about the difference between the #2 pick and the #6 pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    On chris long:

First off, I know little to nothing about the upcoming draft class. So if we are in contention to pick this guy. I am a little concerned.

Is it possible that his "star potential", and status overall is hyped due to his name?

I just dont want to make and "Eli Manning" pick thinking we are getting Peyton.

Please make me feel better about this guy.
    He's 3rd in the nation in sacks, 1st in the nation in sack yardage, got to the QB in 10 of 12 games including 4 multi-sack games. He's 8th in the nation in Tackles for Loss, 2nd in TFL yardage, TFL's in 11 of 12 games, and 6 multi-TFL games. He led the Virginia defense to a #12 ranking nationally in Rushing Yards Allowed (3.00) and #6 in Rushing TDs Allowed (8).

A 6'4", 285 lb. DE who has experience in both the 4-3 and the 3-4, who is almost universally the top DE in this draft as evaluated by any major draft "guru".

Right now, he's "Howie's Son". It won't be long until Howie is "Chris's Dad".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If we miss out on Chris Long at worst we will get Gholston who will be a beast also

bruce4life is offline Registered User

help me out with gholsten i am not familiar with him

Rambos is offline Registered User

Vernon Gholston
    # 50
    Defensive Lineman - DL
    Height: 6' 4" Weight: 264
    Junior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AyWL...eature=related

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams draft status going into final week

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A 6'4", 285 lb. DE who has experience in both the 4-3 and the 3-4, who is almost universally the top DE in this draft as evaluated by any major draft "guru".

Right now, he's "Howie's Son". It won't be long until Howie is "Chris's Dad".

Thanks for all the data on CL, HUbison. And I like the way you closed the post too! ...We MUST get this young defensive end; would fit in great with AC and Clifton Ryan.

Let Miami, NYJ and Atlanta go for other players. :bash:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast