Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Rams Drafts over the last five years have left us fans feeling empty

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams Drafts over the last five years have left us fans feeling empty

After the pain of cutting another high draft pick. I came across this study by Pro Football Weekly (PFW) of team's drafts during the 5-year period of 2004-2008

Looking at the NY who just won the SB again, thought I would compare their numbers to the Rams. The only difference is I used our last five drafts excluding this year.

From the study:
    The New York Giants were extremely impressive with respect to these benchmarks. Almost 67% of the players they drafted were on their roster, 36.4% became starters, and 12% became Pro-Bowlers. This translated into a winning percentage of 58.75%.

This is our last five draft results, after Smith was let go and before Fridays cuts, it may be worse.

The Rams were not extremely impressive. 33.33% of the players they drafted are on the roster, 11.90% became starters, and 0% became Pro-Bowlers. This translated into a winning percentage of 18.75%.

The Giants retained 67% to our 11.90% they developed 3 starters to our 1.

Who where the keepers:

Bradford
    Pettis
    Salas
    Long
    Laurinaitis
    Quinn

I don't know how you guys see it, but if we can't draft and develop players this will never end. The last two regimes could not hit on high draft picks let alone find talent late. Last year we ended up cutting every draft pick after Salas a 4th rounder. This year so far and it's early... Rok a 5th, GZ a 6th and Richardson a 7th. may have an impact this year. We may also keep a few UDFA to develop, gives me some hope this has come to an end.
    rNemesis likes this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Drafts over the last five years have left us fans feeling empty

This was EXACTLY what I was touching on with a coworker earlier, Rambos. I just cannot understand for the life of me, that when we draft players we are not hitting on them, no matter the rounds. The early round picks have mostly failed, and we just could not strike a bit of luck with the late picks. Is that poor talent evaluation? Maybe, but at the end of the day, we need help from the draft. This is what is going to turn this franchise around. If we cant get help from where it should be sought, then this team will not turn things around

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

You've gotta' be able to build through the draft- period. This is not baseball, where prospects are traded all the time and you can land a couple of big names before the trade deadline. You have to be able to identify and draft talented guys who will pan out. Certainly there is the injury factor, and some luck is involved. But it's no secret we've whiffed a lot more than we've hit it out of the park. And not coincidentally, we haven't been very good for a long time.

Here's hoping that changes real soon.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Yeah it's hard to digest when you look at it too long. I think one of the biggest issues and we are seeing it again with Fisher right now. A new coach means roster turnover every time. I always liked the way Pittsburgh goes about the business of football. They believe in their philosophy and stay the course. Players are drafted to fit the scheme once the coach is gone the players follows. I saw Adam Carriker making a play for Jim Haslett in the skins game this weekend and just I just shook my head.

look at how fast the Dodger put a decent team together, the Lakers added Howard and Steve Nash.
    Hey there is hope the Kings just won the cup, we can do it!