RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Rams dtastically improved, simply need to make plays ....

So much I took from this game. Differently a different Rams team from the past few years. My observations:

1. The days of getting pushed around and beaten up are OVER. Rams won many a battle today on both lines. This defense is HARD HITTING man. Like no Ram's defense last decade.

2. Bradford looks so impressive for a rookie. He's going to make mistakes. None of the three INT's today are really bothersome to me. Looks like he's throwing a little hard for some of the receivers to adjust too. They will have to adjust.

3. Clayton looked very solid. He runs superb routes. Need him to come up with crucial catches though.

4. Chris Long is a MONSTER. He was TRIPLE teamed numerous times during the game. He doesn't show up in the stat line, but he had Derek Anderson thinking about him all day. When is the last time we putting a hurting on the QB like that? Well-timed blitz schemes and solid pressure. Just need to keep it up the whole game. We looked winded at the end.

5. Cliff Ryan is pretty fast for a 324 lb man. Needs to work on ball security.

6. We did a fairly solid job is blitz pickup. The Cards were bringing it from everywhere.

7. 2 dropped INT's, blown TD on a fumble recovery, blocked FG, dropped pass by Clayton that may have been a TD.. We just need to make these plays, and we will.

8. Amazing how solid the secondary looks when we get good pressure. Bartell was simply excellent.

9. Amendola is a real gamer, but I am worried he is going to get killed the way he throws his body around. He needs to come out of the return game and focus on the slot.

10. Need better coaching in critical situations, particularly time management. Why could they not adjust to the damn counter trey runs. LB responsibility here. Seriously, only 4 WR's active? Gibson NEEDS TO PLAY!

11. Ah You and Selvie looked pretty decent coming off the edge.

12. The dome seemed to be rocking. Good to see for sure.

That's all I have for now ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -09-13-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams dtastically improved, simply need to make plays ....

1. I thought the Rams' defensive line looked better than their offensive counterpart. I didn't think the Rams imposed much will at all in the running game, especially in the second half when the team actually started running the ball more often.

2. It was a pretty solid first outing for the rook, absolutely. I can't fault him for the final hail mary INT, but I'd like to see better decisions on the other two and I think he'll get there with experience. He made a number of other very nice throws, and overall, didn't look like a guy who was overwhelmed by his first NFL start.

3. Agree, Clayton is about what he was advertised to be - makes a great play and follows it up with a key drop. Hopefully he improves upon that, though it's Year Six and you have to wonder. Still, it says something about both him and our WR corps that he's almost instantly become this team's #1 target.

4. Agree entirely about Long. He looked like he was giving 250% out there today, doing his best to fight through blocks and put a hit on the quarterback. I love seeing that kind of intensity on him. I just wish someone else on the DL could step up and take advantage of the attention he's getting.

5. Yes, he probably does but I doubt ball security is emphasized that much for DL. Maybe it will be now, I dunno. I really think that was an instance that was more of a Cardinals guy making a great play than it was a Rams defender making a mistake. I'm sure a lot of offensive skill guys probably fumble the ball if it's punched out like that as well.

6. Yes and no. On the plus side, the Rams only allowed two sacks in 57 drop backs, which is good. But Bradford did get hit a fair amount, and it also seemed like some sacks were avoided in part due to the nature of the offense - quick, short passes to get the ball out of the QB's hands. I'd have to go back and watch, but I felt like Jackson had some nice blocks when called upon to help out.

7. Agreed, good teams find a way to make plays to win games. The Rams didn't do that, but maybe as the season progresses, they do.

8. Not sure I agree here. I think Derek Anderson's inaccuracy helped the Rams out as much as anything. It didn't seem like he was on the same page with Fitzgerald at all, and Ron Bartell's reputation seems to be the beneficiary. The Rams had no answer for Steve Breaston.

9. Later in the season, maybe Gilyard takes some snaps away from him in one of if not both of those jobs to help keep him fresh. But Amendola has shown flashes in the return game, so it's going to be hard to take him off the field when he has a chance to make something happen there.

10. Unless there was an injury situation with Gibson that went unreported, this coaching staff simply does not appear to be as high on Gibson as many fans are right now. Which is a shame, since they inserted him into the line-up almost immediately after trading for him last year. The Rams probably felt like they didn't need more than four wideouts because they like to feature the tight ends in the passing game, and Hoomanawanui going down early in the game hurt them.

11. Ah You was the one who forced the fumble that Ryan nearly returned, correct? He beat his man pretty well on that play. I didn't notice Selvie much in terms of the pass rush. I'll have to go back and rewatch.

12. I didn't get an impression from the Dome one way or the other, as I was watching mostly on a delayed 'net feed. I'm hoping those who attended the BASH confirm your comments - it'd be nice to get some semblance of home field advantage there!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    1. I thought the Rams' defensive line looked better than their offensive counterpart. I didn't think the Rams imposed much will at all in the running game, especially in the second half when the team actually started running the ball more often.

2. It was a pretty solid first outing for the rook, absolutely. I can't fault him for the final hail mary INT, but I'd like to see better decisions on the other two and I think he'll get there with experience. He made a number of other very nice throws, and overall, didn't look like a guy who was overwhelmed by his first NFL start.

3. Agree, Clayton is about what he was advertised to be - makes a great play and follows it up with a key drop. Hopefully he improves upon that, though it's Year Six and you have to wonder. Still, it says something about both him and our WR corps that he's almost instantly become this team's #1 target.

4. Agree entirely about Long. He looked like he was giving 250% out there today, doing his best to fight through blocks and put a hit on the quarterback. I love seeing that kind of intensity on him. I just wish someone else on the DL could step up and take advantage of the attention he's getting.

5. Yes, he probably does but I doubt ball security is emphasized that much for DL. Maybe it will be now, I dunno. I really think that was an instance that was more of a Cardinals guy making a great play than it was a Rams defender making a mistake. I'm sure a lot of offensive skill guys probably fumble the ball if it's punched out like that as well.

6. Yes and no. On the plus side, the Rams only allowed two sacks in 57 drop backs, which is good. But Bradford did get hit a fair amount, and it also seemed like some sacks were avoided in part due to the nature of the offense - quick, short passes to get the ball out of the QB's hands. I'd have to go back and watch, but I felt like Jackson had some nice blocks when called upon to help out.

7. Agreed, good teams find a way to make plays to win games. The Rams didn't do that, but maybe as the season progresses, they do.

8. Not sure I agree here. I think Derek Anderson's inaccuracy helped the Rams out as much as anything. It didn't seem like he was on the same page with Fitzgerald at all, and Ron Bartell's reputation seems to be the beneficiary. The Rams had no answer for Steve Breaston.

9. Later in the season, maybe Gilyard takes some snaps away from him in one of if not both of those jobs to help keep him fresh. But Amendola has shown flashes in the return game, so it's going to be hard to take him off the field when he has a chance to make something happen there.

10. Unless there was an injury situation with Gibson that went unreported, this coaching staff simply does not appear to be as high on Gibson as many fans are right now. Which is a shame, since they inserted him into the line-up almost immediately after trading for him last year. The Rams probably felt like they didn't need more than four wideouts because they like to feature the tight ends in the passing game, and Hoomanawanui going down early in the game hurt them.

11. Ah You was the one who forced the fumble that Ryan nearly returned, correct? He beat his man pretty well on that play. I didn't notice Selvie much in terms of the pass rush. I'll have to go back and rewatch.

12. I didn't get an impression from the Dome one way or the other, as I was watching mostly on a delayed 'net feed. I'm hoping those who attended the BASH confirm your comments - it'd be nice to get some semblance of home field advantage there!
    Thanks for all the comments! Not many take time to do this. Promotes good debate ...

Mostly sarcasm on the Ryan thing. I really wish he would have scored, such a heads up hustle play to get that ball.

Selvie was quite active. Not necessarily getting great rush all the time, but doing well in contain. He's a Leonard Little type player, He almost got one sack. Would like to see both Selvie and Ah You develop as speed rushers ...

I wish the coaching staff would work more on getting the ball out quick rather than hoping the line can pick up those huge blitzes ...

As for the secondary, it's always hard to measure. But our D-line and blitzed had Anderson rattled for a large portion of the game, and it wasn't until the end when he threw the TD where the pressure seemingly went away. If the two easy INT's are caught, Anderson's numbers look REAL bad ....

Definite improvement!

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

I think when Sam Bradford get's more comfortable as the season goes on and the line continues to gel, the Rams will be in all or most of their games. Especially if the defense performs like yesterday on a consistent basis. I see the Rams winning 4 to 5 games this year realistically. Anything more than that is exceeding expectations.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Hey, my first post.

Just had to say, wow, what an enjoyable game from the Rams.

I hope they can keep it up, turn the corner and get a win next Sunday!

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

The Faiders are next, Go RAMS!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    So much I took from this game. Differently a different Rams team from the past few years. My observations:

1. The days of getting pushed around and beaten up are OVER. Rams won many a battle today on both lines. This defense is HARD HITTING man. Like no Ram's defense last decade.

2. Bradford looks so impressive for a rookie. He's going to make mistakes. None of the three INT's today are really bothersome to me. Looks like he's throwing a little hard for some of the receivers to adjust too. They will have to adjust.

3. Clayton looked very solid. He runs superb routes. Need him to come up with crucial catches though.

4. Chris Long is a MONSTER. He was TRIPLE teamed numerous times during the game. He doesn't show up in the stat line, but he had Derek Anderson thinking about him all day. When is the last time we putting a hurting on the QB like that? Well-timed blitz schemes and solid pressure. Just need to keep it up the whole game. We looked winded at the end.

5. Cliff Ryan is pretty fast for a 324 lb man. Needs to work on ball security.

6. We did a fairly solid job is blitz pickup. The Cards were bringing it from everywhere.

7. 2 dropped INT's, blown TD on a fumble recovery, blocked FG, dropped pass by Clayton that may have been a TD.. We just need to make these plays, and we will.

8. Amazing how solid the secondary looks when we get good pressure. Bartell was simply excellent.

9. Amendola is a real gamer, but I am worried he is going to get killed the way he throws his body around. He needs to come out of the return game and focus on the slot.

10. Need better coaching in critical situations, particularly time management. Why could they not adjust to the damn counter trey runs. LB responsibility here. Seriously, only 4 WR's active? Gibson NEEDS TO PLAY!

11. Ah You and Selvie looked pretty decent coming off the edge.

12. The dome seemed to be rocking. Good to see for sure.

That's all I have for now ....
    1. yeah, you get the feeling that it hurt to play The Rams yesterday.And not just the DL; I've bagged on OJ for not bringing it in the past but there was that hit on Early Doucet's big gainer to close the first quarter. Better to prevent the darned thing in the first place but great to see some payment being exacted.That's a big dude & OJ stopped his momentum cold. I think Doucet left the game shortly after. Funnily enough, the very next play had OJ and Lau crunching another Card between them.Bet that one left a pair of matching marks. Fun to watch. Me likey that kind of Ram sandwich. Lots of mustard,please.

2. Totally agreed. And you can see there is so much more to come. He simply belongs already but, if The Rams can keep him in one piece, he'll soar. I think both QB and receivers need to adjust a bit. He shows amazing poise but the tension seems to come out in sheer velocity at times. That pass that ended the drive after OJ's forced fumble hit the turf & caromed off like a golf ball on a driveway. Nice problem to have with his accuracy & other attributes but he's like a young Favre in that regard,no?

3. A pleasant surprise,for sure, but was he that great or did Robinson & Amendola deserve assists for occupying the better DBs not help him, just as Gibson was helped in his first game last year? Weird that both Robinson and now Clayton have muffed wide open catches on what looked like the same play. Let's hope they can get one before teams figure out how to defend it...lol...

4. Agreed. I love just his unique stance; crouching tiger, hidden QB/OT nightmare.He needs help. Hall looked rusty & it's a shame Robbins got dinged early.

5. Poor Clif ! Still, that was a 25 yd change in field position which gave the D some turf to defend. And they did; forcing a punt.

6. If you're talking about the RBs, I'd agree. That part of SJ's game has improved beyond all recognition. Sam was hit & pressured quite a bit overall so I'd have to say the OL wasn't great. But that's a good DL, the green OTs, a rookie QB, first game, etc Plenty of room for hope as well as improvement,imo. Just avoiding a catastrophic injury to any of the five or Sam seems pretty good to me at this point.

7. Totally agree on the INTs.What's the point of a decent pass rush if the DBs don't collect the payoff ?

Yes/no on the failure to convert either turnover The Rams did force. Again, I believe field position is a pretty important and welcome second prize to converting mistakes into points directly.

8. bartell looks better than after the injury last year but a fitter Fitz & more accurate QB might have changed your perception. And some pretty early evidence to support the lack of depth thing since King & Dockery both got hurt. Neither Dahl or Butler are ever going to be great cover guys,imo. I wish we could've snagged that Rolle kid in the draft. Frickin Whiners...

9. Yeah, is he more Looker than Welker?

10. I think it was more execution than scheme on the long outside runs & a strategic/personnel decision to keep more DLers active than pass catchers. You couldn't predict that two DBs and a promising TE would go down. The decent pressure on Anderson had to be helped by fresh legs but was negated by a wekened secondary.It's still a thin team & I can't blame Spags for taking a reasonable gamble or Shurmur for not getting too deep into the playbook for a rookie's first game against that DL. Actually when he did, it almost got sam killed; Goldberg pulled for what looked like some kind of inside screen on the left , Wilson swooped in and put the bionic shoulder to a sever test. That'll shrink any OC's googlies,imo.

I did hate that Spags didn't take that timeout, like most of us. I dunno, maybe it just goes against his defensive instincts to stop the clock at the end of a game.
    11. Ah You forced that fumble that cued the Ryan rumble,no? I remember Selvie more for staying disciplined on a screen & making a good tackle than any pass rush.

12. I'm so envious of the Bash Clannies.heck, it was a blast to watch on my computer. And a good enough ending to merit tv coverage here in the SF Bay Area after the Whiner whipping was done; I had my tv on at the same time.The last time that happened was the Saints game last year.

Not a perfect coming out party for Bradford & The 2010 Rams but kind of like a great shindig that doesn't get broken up by the cops until the keg is gone, anyway, and that girl you were working has gone home with her friends.