HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams DTs set for best season in years

Pickett and Kennedy are quietly having the best season of any DT tandem in recent Ram history. Here's some stats on the Rams top DT pair for each of the last 5 seasons:

2001 --- 78 tackles, 6 sacks
    2002 --- 87 tackles, 4.5 sacks
    2003 --- 57 tackles, 1.5 sacks
    2004 --- 81 tackles, 7 sacks

2005 proj. --- 108 tackles, 8 sacks

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Re: Rams DTs set for best season in years

Stats and projections are nice, but from what I've seen and read, their performance has been average. Some ups, some downs. Nothing to justify a 1st round performance and paycheck. Let's face it, we haven't played the stiffest of competition, and when we did meet Indy, well, you know the rest of the story.

Hold your horses and don't buy that bridge just yet.

viper is offline Registered User

Although, it may be early too be forecasting, Pickett and Kennedy have looked pretty good at times the last few weeks. I think they are benefiting from the aggressive blitzing that we've been seeing. However, our run defense hasn't been looking too good. We need to work on that.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Long Live the Greasy Bear!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Pickett and Kennedy are quietly having the best season of any DT tandem in recent Ram history.
    If that's going to be your benchmark, you're right as usual. But on the other hand, I don't think that's saying much. When you've been a cesspool as long as the DTs have been, even a puddle of vomit will look like an improvement.

When Pickett and Kennedy starting raking in a sack or two a game, making plays like Pickett on the screen week in, week out, blocking a kick like ole'man Jackson once in a while, then maybe singing their praises becomes deserved.

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    ... When you've been a cesspool as long as the DTs have been, even a puddle of vomit will look like an improvement.
    spoken like a true connoisseur...

ps: i really enjoy the schizophrenic visuals that adarian brings to his posts...don't you? :O

Quote Originally Posted by A2
    If that's going to be your benchmark, you're right as usual. But on the other hand, I don't think that's saying much.
    Granted and agreed. My comparison was just for recent Ram pairings. Hopefully, they will become more consistent as they play together longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by A2
    When you've been a cesspool as long as the DTs have been, even a puddle of vomit will look like an improvement.
    And there goes breakfast.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Stats and projections are nice, but from what I've seen and read, their performance has been average.
    I dont think people have really payed attention to the way these guys have played. Kennedy is drawing double teams every week, yet he still finds a way to disrupt the play. He is freeing Pickett up to do the things that he has done. The middle of our line has been solid. The over pursuit by our DE's (Leonard Little included)has been what has kiled us in the running game.

Our DT's have a bright future ahead of them, and I'd rather have them on my team than be forced to play them.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Hey RamJackson39 I'm just wondering why you have Jamal Lewis and I think Dan Kreider??? with SJax in your sig? Just curious.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Hey RamJackson39 I'm just wondering why you have Jamal Lewis and I think Dan Kreider??? with SJax in your sig? Just curious.
    It's a draft thing that I'm doing for another forum. Meet my running game...
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I too love Adarian's writing. I love nice metaphors and analogies. When you read as much crap as I have to read, good writing is always a treat.

I think the Rams screwed themselves by losing Jeff Z, and Young. Its hard to feel good and hopeful about these guys knowing how our line has been shredded since we lost Jeff Z. They are still wasted draft picks AFAIC.

At least nobody is singing a song of hope for Lewis... Some of us have moved past that illusion, finally. I think most all agree that he should be dumped ASAP, or paid a lot less. What a waste he was.

I think the Rams screwed themselves by losing Jeff Z, and Young.
    Those two were very solid on this line, though in their years together (2001 & 2002) their numbers weren't as good as what the Greasy Bear is on track for this year. I think they also had the advantage of London Fletcher behind them, where Kennedy and Pickett have had either Robert Thomas (in the past) or a nickel LB behind them a lot this year. Hopefully, CC or some other MLB will solidify that spot.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The tackle on the screen by Pickett solidified him as a must keeper. Arch can go along with DLew as far as I'm concerned. Someone is going to overpay for Archuleta, the Rams won't be able to keep him and believe me when it's all said and done it will be a blessing. Watch, they'll move Pisa back there eventually and he'll do just fine.

Aaron Harris. MLB of the University of Texas is the first choice selected by the St. Louis Rams in the 2006 draft.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Pisa is not much better, in my opinion. He is constantly out of position in the passing game and yet he is the only LB that stays on the field in some passing situations.

He often takes bad angles and he is not a dominant force with the blitz. He does not sniff out plays. He often engages blockers instead of running by them. He just does not have good instincts in my opinion.