Rams End Preseason Healthy
Friday, September 2, 2005

By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer

If the goal of Friday night’s game was to keep the starters healthy, it wasn’t necessarily achieved.But it was close enough.

Cornerback Travis Fisher suffered a sprained knee early in the second quarter and left tackle Orlando Pace left the game with about seven minutes to go in the half because of a sprained ankle. Neither returned to the game.

But after the game, the news came back positive on both counts. Pace went in for precautionary x Rays, scans that came out clean.

“It was preseason, they it thought it was best if I sit out,” Pace said. “But, no big injury, nothing to be concerned about. I’ll be ready next week against the *****.

“I don’t know what happened. I think somebody may have hit Jamie (Martin) or something like that and I was back there blocking and kind of got it caught up. That’s all. No pain at all, we’ll see how it feels in the morning.

Fisher also appeared to be walking fine after the game.

The rest of the starters were not put in much danger of getting injured because coach Mike Martz said he had no intention of playing most of them, particularly starting quarterback Marc Bulger.

“No matter what, we weren’t going to play (Bulger),” Martz said. “With Steven (Jackson) we thought we weren’t going to play him, but I wanted to get a nice drive going.”

GARRETT MAKES HIS CASE: With the amount of depth and competition in the secondary, Kevin Garrett has become somewhat of the forgotten man. But he made people sit up and recognize him in the final preseason game with an acrobatic interception in the third quarter.

On first-and-10, Kansas City quarterback Jonathan Quinn fired down the right sideline intended for Jeris McIntyre. But Garrett jammed McIntyre to the outside at the line of scrimmage and saw the pass floating down the sideline. Garrett turned his body to the left, adjusted his shoulders and leapt to make the catch.

“It felt good to get out there and make a play for the team,” Garrett said. “It always feels good to do that.”
With 12 more cuts coming on Sunday, Garrett recognized the sense of urgency to make something happen. The Rams will probably keep 10 or 11 defensive backs with only a few spots open. At cornerback, Garrett has been in direct competition with the likes of Terry Fair, Ronald Bartell and Corey Ivy for position.

That much competition left Garrett knowing what he needed to do Friday night.

“You always have that sense of urgency, but when you get to that last cut, I guess you could say it has a little more edge,” Garrett said. “Whatever happens, happens. That’s how you have got to look at it. I thought it was important to make plays and make something happen for myself. If things don’t work out here you have to know that someone else is looking at you. Hopefully it will work out here, but if not, hopefully I showed somebody else something tonight.”

INACTIVES: The Rams inactives against the Kansas City were cornerback Terry Fair (neck), linebacker Trev Faulk (back), guard Claude Terrell (flu) and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett (back).

Brandon Manumaleuna replaced Roland Williams as the starting tight end and Joey Goodspeed replaced Manumaleuna at fullback. Jamie Martin started for Bulger at quarterback.

Kansas City’s inactives were quarterbacks Trent Green and Todd Collins, linebacker Scott Fujita, guard Aaron Johnson, tackle Kevin Sampson, receiver Dante Hall, tight end Kris Wilson and defensive tackle John Browning.

Jordan Black started for the Chiefs at right tackle in place of Sampson and Jonathan Quinn got the start in place of Green.