Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The Rams are evolving. The Fan Base should too!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams are evolving. The Fan Base should too!

Yesterday, we learned that James Laurinaitis has a chest injury. At this point, it appears that the injury is relatively minor. However, regardless of how this plays out, I was somewhat taken aback by the knee-jerk response of several Rams fans.

Within moments of the injury report, many fans (here and on other sites), went immediately into “Chicken Little” mode – exclaiming that the sky was falling and postulating that the Rams’ interest in Ben Leber must be viewed as proof that JL’s injury is more significant than the reports indicate.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by this reaction. Years of futility and frustration has clearly impacted the fan base. Indeed, it has gotten to the point at which the term SOSAR (“Same Old Sorry A__ Rams”) is no longer a mere insult uttered by the fans of rivals, but rather is a term commonly utilized by Rams fans themselves.

My question is… shouldn’t we be moving on from that mindset?

While nobody knows exactly what the future holds, even the most pessimistic fan should feel compelled to acknowledge the positive indicators. The Rams have a new QB who was the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. They have drafted solid players, if not emerging stars, at key spots such as OT, TE, DE, MLB and CB. They have a new owner with DEEEEEEP pockets. They have a coaching staff/Front Office that seems to be truly hitting its stride. They have upgraded their roster with key free agent acquisitions. And… on the field… they went from one win in 2009 to seven in 2010.

Simply put, these are not Skip Rosenbloom’s Mother’s St. Louis Rams. This is a new team that has a lot of promise.

As fans, we should not wear blinders or… worse yet… “rose-colored glasses.” It is entirely legitimate to be concerned about the tough upcoming schedule, the inevitable loss of players to injury, and the remaining holes in the roster.

But shouldn’t that be tempered by a bit of faith? A bit of optimism? A bit of hope?

I know what some of you will say: “there goes Av again… telling fans how they should think.” Well, to those who would respond in such a manner, let me be frank.

The Rams do NOT have the most loyal fan base in all of sports. I wish they did, but they don’t. I’d like to see the fan base strive to climb that list, and I think now is the perfect time to start.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams are evolving. The Fan Base should too!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Rams do NOT have the most loyal fan base in all of sports. I wish they did, but they don’t. I’d like to see the fan base strive to climb that list, and I think now is the perfect time to start.
    Agreed, but I'd like to keep the ones with the douchey Raiders and Eagles fan attitude away from the Rams community (though I've seen a fair share of some recently).

swatter555 is offline Registered User

The fanbase in St. Louis can be pretty good, I have seen it. Its hard to imagine the pre-GSOT days, but fan support back then wasn't bad either (because the team was new). Its hard to judge what the fanbase will be like when the FS starts to field NFL caliber teams on a consistent basis, but I think we can be optimistic. The Rams have been so bad the last several years, but it looks like we have found a bottom and are climbing out.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Av, you and some others know I have several past and present Rams on my FB friends list - and I do chat with some of them from time to time. I have been told by a few of them that I am the most loyal fan they know of. I tell them that there are a lot of us like me out there, but they tell me that most fans are either on one end of the stick or the other.

The players are aware of the fan's opinions. They do know what is being said about them and the team. Realistic optimism and rabid support of both the players and the team are the things the players love to hear - not some dream about how Jackson will have 7500 yards rushing this season, or how DX's knees are going to give out in week one.

Good post, Av.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes AV, your main observation does come across as "telling fans how they should think".

Interesting to see that you actually anticipated it.

Indeed, as you yourself stated, many in the Ram fan base - some that are loyal clientele of the Clan - have gone through 'the impact of futility and frustration'. Years of it, or ... many years of it, yes, SB XXXIV notwithstanding. Some fans are simply snakebitten, fearful, angry -- we know the feelings all to well. But the bane of such failures, IMO, more than justifies an occasional 'The Sky is Falling' chant from a few fans that all of a sudden learn about an injury (with the potential to be serious) to one of our main machines on D: none other than Laurinaitis.

Personally, I don't see a problem with said type of reaction to the injury sustained by our starting MLB. I had not expected, quite frankly, that James L was going to be out too long or be affected by it during the regular season. How about that? Optimism amid this situation that is apparently diminishing in importance by the hour, at least from the fans' collective concern. But I was not the only one.

As time and season pass - even of NFL events - some of us fans are educated by the news and the possibilities of news, of what is happening in the politics of the league, the players union, their equipment upgrades, their workouts, physical condition, contracts, team switching, etc. We even see or read about their emotions. No doubt, this multi billion entity can certainly stir up some passion, inside and out of the stadium.

For the most part, fans get to understand a little bit more of the why and the wherefore with each passing year and with each new football season.

And as we know, AV (and might do well to keep in mind), some people here are either new to the NFL experience altogether or, are young fans that are learning about the sport and its usual vicissitudes (injuries to stars included) ... or, both! I say, let them be, new fans, young fans, or otherwise. We have many terrific, fantastic fans in here.

Yesterday when I read about JL's chest injury here - and I'm glad Mike posted it - I saw a few "no biggie" posts. I did not see in that thread or other thread any fan fainting reactions reflected. Only a concern which, as I mentioned, I believe is more than justified. I think we are 'evolving' just fine.

Idiosyncratic realities. Some may be Chicken Little oriented, others may be more mature, stable and wise. It is relative ... and I just don't see a problem with that.

Last edited by RealRam; -08-10-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Tyop

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Yes AV, your main observation does come across as "telling fans how they should think".

Of course I did. That did not stop me (nor will it ever) from expressing how I feel.

But the bane of such failures, IMO, more than justifies an occasional 'The Sky is Falling' chant from a few fans that all of a sudden learn about an injury (with the potential to be serious) to one of our main machines on D: none other than Laurinaitis.
    I disagree with you entirely. The report was that JL had a pulled muscle weeks before the start of the season. There was no reason to assume the worst, regardless of the Rams' recent history.

Idiosyncratic realities. Some may be Chicken Little oriented, others may be more mature, stable and wise. It is relative ... and I just don't see a problem with that.
    Reality is not subjective (unless you take a lot of drugs). Reality is... well... reality.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

What I find amazing is that you can blow up a simple comment (a question I made in another thread) about the rationale and timing of getting another FA LB into a tirade on how we should all "evolve" into a different fan base. It's laughable. I just threw it out there as a possible scenario for cryin' out loud. I never said I believed it to be true, or something I heard. It was just an "I wonder"....

So.... Never in the history of sports has an injury been downplayed for whatever reason? Really? ...and when we question it, we're "chicken little" fans? Come on Av, you need to step up your game and write about something with a little more substance. The only "evolving" fans need perhaps, is to evolve away from this site. It's getting ridiculous when you can't post a simple comment without being chastized and lambasted for not being a loyal or good fan. I guess if we don't all think like you, we can't possibly be a good Rams fan, right?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

LMAO........Rams football is officially reborn anew. Hold on to your horns, ClanRam, cuz AV's gettin' his Harvey Dahl on !! I love it....

Jeepers, did you "hear" the size of that font ?
    laram0 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    What I find amazing is that you can blow up a simple comment (a question I made in another thread) about the rationale and timing of getting another FA LB into a tirade on how we should all "evolve" into a different fan base. It's laughable. I just threw it out there as a possible scenario for cryin' out loud. I never said I believed it to be true, or something I heard. It was just an "I wonder"....

So.... Never in the history of sports has an injury been downplayed for whatever reason? Really? ...and when we question it, we're "chicken little" fans? Come on Av, you need to step up your game and write about something with a little more substance. The only "evolving" fans need perhaps, is to evolve away from this site. It's getting ridiculous when you can't post a simple comment without being chastized and lambasted for not being a loyal or good fan. I guess if we don't all think like you, we can't possibly be a good Rams fan, right?
    Good one RFRH. I respect that, and agree.

AV, I wonder: Are you E V E R wrong? ...Good grief!

Do you actually have a so called "response" for everything, to everyone?

Paragraph by paragraph, statement by statement? A+ for that effort.

I'm only replying here myself because I suppose this thread may be 'Closed' sooner than later for taking a different course or some related reason by which it deviated from your original post, which BTW, is subjective. As it is unfair. And silly. And inaccurate. [Figure out the "reality" yourself (but I'll help you with one note. 'Idiosyncratic realities' simply refers to the fact that everyone has their own subjective thought processing, i.e., based on personal tastes, opinions, feelings or experiences that are often expressed in akin fashion. Some realities are accepted as 'perceived' by an individual, and are thus considered subjective as well. Laurinaitis' injury was real, not perceived. The extent or consequence of the injury was a subjective expectation by some fans. Subjective, psychosomatic if you will, but nonetheless, a real concern for the Rams MLB, hence a reality. Or as Bill Coats wrote regarding JL's condition, "It might be no big deal, but it was a bit jarring...")]

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Of course I did. That did not stop me (nor will it ever) from expressing how I feel.
    Hmm, yet, as RFRH alluded, when a few fans (at least I'm not aware there were many, as in a majority of the 'Fan Base') express how they feel about JL's injury, ah! ... then it is motive enough to start a new thread solely based on how those fans felt or expressed themselves about JLaurinaitis' injury and the subsequent, short-lived suspense that some sensed and survived.

Good grief...

PS: How many in the 'Fan Base' would you say assumed "the worst" according to you? The worst? How many feared that Laurinaitis was, say, likely finished with the Rams due to his injury? No, no, let's speculate further: How many thought perphaps that JL would never be able to play again in the NFL after yesterday? Especially, mind you, considering the Rams recent [injury] history that you brought up.

Tsk, tsk.

Maybe we should just conclude that this is a 'fan misunderstanding' due to the offseason, the lockout, and so on. Sure.

James Laurinaitis. Front and center:
    Are you ready for some football!?!

Last edited by RealRam; -08-12-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: JL image

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I agree with nearly all you have written AV. Like you said, it is very difficult for me to not be a pessimist regarding the Rams. The team has let me down too many times.!
    At the moment though, I do genuinely feel we are on the up, but I have felt this way before and the Rams have went to piece's. Remember the last game of the 2006 season when the Rams slaughtered the Vikings. I had big hopes for the 2007 season. The team's O-Line all got banged up and we finished near the bottom of the league. The new FO is easily the best the Rams have had in my lifetime, which does give me hope.!!!! I was guilty yesterday of mentioning that maybe JL injury was the reason the Rams were looking at Leber, it was only a thought though. A bad one, Ill admit.
    AV, ILL do my best to be more positive regarding my team.? But like Raiderfan mentioned, people are all wired up differently.? NOBODY'S PERFECT, EVEN YOU?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -08-11-2011 at 03:56 AM.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I think the fact that people were doing the whole 'Chicken Little' thing and thought the injury might be serious is symptomatic of today's media. People now hear news almost in real time where in years gone by Laurinaitis would have had his injury and by the time people hear of it it would have already been diagnosed as a sprain. I think people's reaction to raw, unfiltered news reveal more about their general outlook than it does about their support for the Rams. Some people are more cautious, pessimestic or optimistic. I'm an optimist, I believe the Rams are going to the playoffs every year but I'm wrong nearly every year (apart from this year right?). Which is why I'd rather read a thread like this about why the Rams are going to playoffs over one declaring that they won't for various reasons.

The thing about being an optimist is you are often left dissapointed but if you are a pessimist then everything is welcome surprise. Neither approach can be justified as the right one and different people are comforted by different thought patterns. Inevitably some will rub others the wrong way but as long as everyone on this board is supporting the Rams every sunday then all is fair.
    viper and laram0 like this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is a grain of salt. I would suggest that you all take one.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I've been riding the RAMS wave since 1965. Many many rumors, injuries, disappointing seasons haven't knocked me off. So all I can say is hang in there we are definitely on the upswing!

GO RAMS!!!
    Bar-bq and ramsanddodgers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam;390642.

[CENTER
    AV, I wonder: Are you E V E R wrong? ...Good grief! [/CENTER]
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Do you actually have a so called "response" for everything, to everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    AV, ILL do my best to be more positive regarding my team.? But like Raiderfan mentioned, people are all wired up differently.? NOBODY'S PERFECT, EVEN YOU?
    Perfect? Hardly. I'm just one guy with a bunch of opinions and a keyboard. I do, however, think I have given the Clan something to think/talk about, which is kind of my job around here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast