Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The Rams are evolving. The Fan Base should too!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Rams are evolving. The Fan Base should too!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    The thing about being an optimist is you are often left dissapointed but if you are a pessimist then everything is welcome surprise. Neither approach can be justified as the right one and different people are comforted by different thought patterns. Inevitably some will rub others the wrong way but as long as everyone on this board is supporting the Rams every sunday then all is fair.
    I view pessimism kind of the same way I view blue cheese. Personally, I can't understand why anyone would enjoy eating blue cheese. That said, I would never suggest that people don't have the right to eat blue cheese.

Everyone likes cheddar, though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I've been riding the RAMS wave since 1965. Many many rumors, injuries, disappointing seasons haven't knocked me off. So all I can say is hang in there we are definitely on the upswing!

GO RAMS!!!
    And, if you come to the Bash, you can watch laram0 perform his hit single (recorded when he was a member of the group, Chumbawumba), with its lyrical refrain... "I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN, YOU'RE NEVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN!!!"
    laram0 and RuffRams like this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Lets just watch the Rams kick some football assssss!!!!

I do agree with a little bit of the post though. We really need to move away with the SOSAR! mentality!.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

What a great thread. The Brit had it right. Fans' reactions to Rams news is pretty much based on one's general outloook on life.

When I read RFRH's post, my reaction was, "interesting reach, but I hope it isn't true'. I did not consider it a negative nor an overreactive post. AV's a lawyer, lawyers are wordsmiths, and verbal/written arguments/debates are their life, and as he said, it's kind of his job, and he's good at it. So he posted his reaction, and it stimulated further posts. Well done.

I would like to point out, however, to those who are reacting to news based on being previously disappointed by the "team", that the "team" has been in a constant state of flux since its inception, and that the only constant over the last thirty years or so was Dumb, Dumber and (be nice) the Owner, none of whom had any business pretending to run a football organization.

They are gone - we have a real (as in knowedgeable) Owner, and actual football types running the Rams, and that IS definitely a basis for (at the least, guarded) optimism.

Speaking of which, the NFL Season sort of kicks off tonite.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

macrammer is offline Registered User

I would think the Rams fan base is divided into several categories:

LA RAMS ....some of older (and elegantly seasoned!!) that have been with them since 60's to the time they moved. If you have rooted since the mid 60's, you have a full spectrum of what can be acheived in the NFL!! From football powerhouse to door mats to moving out of state. I think in this category, you find some pretty darn loyal fans

St Louis 1995 - pre GSOT These fans were most likely Cardinal football fans. They hungered for another NFL team with better ownership etc. Stuck with team through some very ugly years and personnel.

GSOT to present - These fans well, hard to not root for a winner. But, if you are still here, the roots took hold and you are now blessed as a true Rams fan.

Speaking solely for myself, I tend to get down on my team (mid 60's fan) when I see them look and act as in years past. But, I do this only amongst other trusted Ram fans. I do not speak negatively about Rams around other fan bases. Much like my travels abroad when my Euro colleagues would try to engage me in US politic discussions. Not on same team so mums the word.

At this stage of my life, I am still (always will be) an exteme loyalist and rabid fan but really keep it in perspective. I see no issue with venting either way on this forum and see "blissful optimism" peppered with "whoa me" comments each day. For the blissful group, thanks for your enduring optimism even in darkest days and the whoa group, I feel your pain.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

What Rams fan in their right mind is down on the Rams right now? I havn't seen one pessimistic post on this board since Sam was drafted (i don't count speculating about injury as pessimistic). The team is clearly on the up and everyone here feels good about it. A comment was made wondering about the connection between an injury and a FA signing, which i had no problem with whatsoever because none of us REALLY know whats going on behind the scenes so lets bounce some ideas around, whats the harm?

I'm not quite sure why AV feels the need to be the guardian of this forums "fan spirit", everyone seems fine to me. The whole point of a forum is to discuss, so if we cant speculate about these things then its no fun, and until one of us gets hired on with the Rams that's all any of us are doing anyway no matter how pretentiously we reply to our fellow board mates.
    Defence Wins Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Holt Your Horses View Post
    What Rams fan in their right mind is down on the Rams right now? I havn't seen one pessimistic post on this board since Sam was drafted
    Then you obviously have not looked very hard.

I'm not quite sure why AV feels the need to be the guardian of this forums "fan spirit", everyone seems fine to me.
    So, if everyone seems fine to you, then everything is fine?

The whole point of a forum is to discuss, so if we cant speculate about these things then its no fun
    Remind me... when did I say people are prohibitted from speculating?

pretentiously we reply to our fellow board mates.
    Well yes... you do come accross as a bit pretentious, but I accept your implicit apology.
    Holt Your Horses likes this.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think it's quite fun to watch some fans jump off the bridge because someone gets a hangnail in practice. That' s the passion we have been looking for. My word of advice to those of you though, relax. Unless they put the player on IR or PUP immediately when an injury like this happens this early don't worry about it. Relax. You want worry? When the woman in your life says "Sure you can watch the PRESEASON game of the Rams in it's entirety. I don't care that it's Saturday night and all my friends are going out". That's DVR time.
    RealRam and MauiRam like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You want worry? When the woman in your life says "Sure you can watch the PRESEASON game of the Rams in it's entirety. I don't care that it's Saturday night and all my friends are going out". That's DVR time.
    Good man Tx, DVR time is right. Date Venture Rescheduled!
    MauiRam likes this.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I started out being a fan when the rams was the GSOT. Since then most years have been frustrating and depressing.

But each years just before the season starts I am all positive. In the NFL any year could be the year where the Rams emerge as the the underdog that surprises the world.

This year is different though. This year I do not have to hope for some miracle. This year everything seems to be coming into place. Good coaches, The best young QB in the league, A defense with lots of potential and much more. I have no doubt that the Rams will kick ass this year! And I do not think that the statement same sorry ass Rams will be used much this year!!!!

But no matter what injuries we get or what other things happen I will stick with the Rams each year and start the season with the knowledge this could be the year!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Ah yes - the Eve of a new season is upon us!

Enjoy Rams Fans, Enjoy!

Bar-bq likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12