Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams expect Faulk to retire?

Embedded in an article about Dominic Rhodes was this nugget:

According to a team source, the Rams expect Marshall Faulk to call it quits and that the team will be in the market for a backup running back like Rhodes in free agency and the draft.

The Rams are looking for a running back combination similar to Jacksonville's, a potent one-two punch with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew carrying the rock.

Steven Jackson and Rhodes would make for a nice pair in the Rams' backfield. So add the Rams to the list of teams who will have their eyes on back.
    Interesting...

chipperjones Guest

Re: Rams expect Faulk to retire?

I love Dominic, but I'm sure he wants more playing time, and Jackson will get the most. I do wish we could get Jones-Drew though, he is a great player.

RamsFan16 Guest

We aren't getting Jones -Drew so don't think that. Also, I would love Rhodes! If the Rams did this I would cry!

moklerman Guest

I've read that the Colts, while not anticipated to make any noise in free agency, are expected to retain all of their key free agents(restructuring Peyton). Has Rhodes made noise about getting out of Indy? He may not be a star there but it seems strange that he'd leave after winning it all. He's looked solid but not a world beater. I guess it just depends on whether he's interested in winning or cashing a paycheck(see: Edgerrin). But, if he does make the decision to move on I can't imagine him coming to St. Louis to take a back seat to Jackson. He'd spend more time on the bench here than he did in Indy, wouldn't he?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    [Rhodes would] spend more time on the bench here than he did in Indy, wouldn't he?
    Exactly.

Just get Marshall in for one last season already. Behind Jax and Davis. :r

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I've read that the Colts, while not anticipated to make any noise in free agency, are expected to retain all of their key free agents(restructuring Peyton).
    Even if they restructure Manning's deal, they're currently looking at $2 million in cap room and will likely have to put an $8+ million franchise tag on Freeney. I have my doubts that they retain all of their key free agents.

But, if he does make the decision to move on I can't imagine him coming to St. Louis to take a back seat to Jackson. He'd spend more time on the bench here than he did in Indy, wouldn't he?
    Just about. If Rhodes doesn't mind being a back-up who shares carries, then there's no reason to leave the reigning Super Bowl champs. If he leaves Indy it would be for more playing time. He's not going to get it here, so I don't understand why we're considered an option. We do need a change of pace back-up, but I don't envision Rhodes wanting that role if he decides to sign elsewhere.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I actually see the Giants making a strong push for Rhodes with Tiki retiring.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    We aren't getting Jones -Drew so don't think that. Also, I would love Rhodes! If the Rams did this I would cry!
    I also would cry......because that is a lot of money going to a backup RB that should be going to starting D.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

i agree with hubison, i believe that we could be just fine , even if faulk retires, ( BUT I HOPE HE DOES COME BACK HEALTHY AND PLAYES OUT HIS DAY'S HERE) jax - davis - harris as a runner and st, even if fisher does stay, we will get another back in the mid- round area to compete as a change of pace guy. and rhodes , if he left indy, would go somewhere to be a starter not another backup job. ( cleveland- if they don't draft peterson) or the jets, someone who would make him the starter.

majorram is offline Registered User

Why go outside.. I would love to see the Rams sign Davis again great addition, great teacher to Jackson and look for a change of pace RB in the lower rounds of the Draft!!

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

general counsel is offline Registered User

Once again the voice of reason, The Major is the oracle when it comes to cap management. There is no way in the world we can afford even reasonable money on a backup running back like rhodes etc. It HAS to be done on the cheap. Steven Davis had a great season mentoring jackson, we should do our best to bring him back at a cheap price. A change of pace back makes sense and i would look to do that in the middle rounds of the draft.

People that want us to be signing a guy like rhoades are the same people that will be screaming bloody murder that our defense stinks again when we cant stop the run if we havent allocated appropriate cap dollars to the defense.

Guys, in the cap era, you cant have everything and you certainly cant afford to pay up for depth when you have major holes in your starting unit. You have to find a way to build depth through the draft and on the cheap.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Faulk is shot....I would hate to see him go out like Johnny U....Joe Namath....and others who didn't know that it was time to hang it up. As for Davis, how much more does he really need to show Jackson? SJ is one of the top three backs in the league. Rhodes gives the Rams more options than either Faulk or Davis.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by majorram View Post
    Why go outside.. I would love to see the Rams sign Davis again great addition, great teacher to Jackson and look for a change of pace RB in the lower rounds of the Draft!!

steve
    Exactly!! Resign Davis and draft Lorenzo Booker in round 4, or an equivalent.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Exactly!! Resign Davis and draft Lorenzo Booker in round 4, or an equivalent.
    Agreed, sounds like a much better deal, and would be a cheaper deal...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Fred Russell Could be that Drew Jones type back.