MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams expected to deliver more wide-open offense ..

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 10:48 a.m. ET
    By Dan Arkush
    Any doubt that the Rams' offense will have a much different look and feel under new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was virtually eliminated when — much to the surprise of team insiders — the Rams used three of their first four picks in this year's draft to select receivers.

While a game-breaking threat who could stretch the field was arguably considered the Rams' biggest need entering the draft, nobody expected such an early emphasis on pass catchers.

The addition of second-round TE Lance Kendricks, third-round WR Austin Pettis and fourth-round WR Greg Salas increases the likelihood of a much more wide-open attack in 2011. It also has created quite a traffic jam at wide receiver and tight end, where team insiders believe only WR Mark Clayton (who remains an unrestricted free agent), slot stud Danny Amendola and sure-handed second-year TE Michael Hoomanawanui are assured of final roster spots among the team's holdovers at those positions.

"There will definitely be a lot more four-wide sets, which (former offensive coordinator Pat) Shurmur hardly ever used, and more varied formations," one team insider said. "McDaniels has a track record for not using two backs. That leads to a lot of two-TE sets."

There's strong reason to believe McDaniels, who earned rave reviews as the Patriots' offensive coordinator from 2006-08, is hoping Kendricks and Hoomanawanui can duplicate the success the Pats' offense had last season with rookie TEs Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

"That would certainly appear to be the case," the insider said. "But it's looking like the earliest the offense will be able to get on the field is mid-to-late June. You would think McDaniels might have to seriously consider scaling back the offense."

Also seriously worth thinking about is the extent to which longtime featured back Steven Jackson, who caught 90 passes back in 2006, will be used as a receiver out of the backfield in what shapes up as a much more pass-oriented offense.

"A lot depends on who his backup is going to be," the insider said. "A guy like (free agent) Darren Sproles would probably keep Jackson's catches down"

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams expected to deliver more wide-open offense ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Also seriously worth thinking about is the extent to which longtime featured back Steven Jackson, who caught 90 passes back in 2006, will be used as a receiver out of the backfield in what shapes up as a much more pass-oriented offense.

"A lot depends on who his backup is going to be," the insider said. "A guy like (free agent) Darren Sproles would probably keep Jackson's catches down"
    Which is EXACTLY why I keep banging the drum for a big guy like Jacobs or Marion Barber... I want a guy who will take the early down and short yardage downs while Jackson can impose his will on 2nd and 3rd down.
    I believe!

DA84 is offline Registered User

If McDaniels' new system and playbook really can spread the field efficiently, then there's no reason not to believe that the combo of McDaniels coaching/system, Bradford's leadership, veterans like SJ39 and Mark Clayton, and guys oozing potential like DX, Pettis, Salas, Onobun, and Uh Oh can't help turn this group into a top 10 offense.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DA84 View Post
    If McDaniels' new system and playbook really can spread the field efficiently, then there's no reason not to believe that the combo of McDaniels coaching/system, Bradford's leadership, veterans like SJ39 and Mark Clayton, and guys oozing potential like DX, Pettis, Salas, Onobun, and Uh Oh can't help turn this group into a top 10 offense.
    This is true, DA84. If only the Rams would establish a solid, average / above average OL ... watch out.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Which is EXACTLY why I keep banging the drum for a big guy like Jacobs or Marion Barber... I want a guy who will take the early down and short yardage downs while Jackson can impose his will on 2nd and 3rd down.
    Which is EXACTLY why I kept Blowing the Flute for a Guy like Ingram in the Draft! ....I want a guy who will take the early down and short yardage while JAX can impose his will on 2nd and 3rd down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

StlRams201 is offline Registered User

Excellent. An underrated team adding talent. NFC West is ours to lose.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Which is EXACTLY why I kept Blowing the Flute for a Guy like Ingram in the Draft! ....I want a guy who will take the early down and short yardage while JAX can impose his will on 2nd and 3rd down.
    The difference being that a backup running back given all of our needs is absolutely NOT worth a 1st round pick either this year or next(price of trading back into 1st) to get Ingram. Especially when there are an inordinate amount of vets who are upcoming free agents or probably will be released(like Barber). It's not worth the pick and salary associated with Ingram when we can just grab a free agent who will be satisfied with a limited backup role and modest salary.
    I believe!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I am excited about McDaniels as our OC. Can't wait to see how different our offensive approach is going to be. Our defense is gradually improving and the offense won't be far behind.

This could be a very surprising season for us RAMS fans!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

"Expected to deliver more wide-open offnese"....

Really, how could they not?
    Let the hype begin.