eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams Extra: Needing fans for home field

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/14/2008

Going to Sunday’s home opener against the New York Giants? Rams wide receiver Dane Looker wants to talk to you.

"One thing the fans have to know is that we really, really need ‘em," Looker said. "We really appreciate their presence in the dome — our defense especially. When you’re at home, you really feel like you have 12 players on the field because you have a great crowd. If we ever were to lose that, it’s a big disadvantage."

The Rams haven’t had much success lately in the Edward Jones Dome. Since midway through the 2005 season, they are only 5-15 there. But it can still be an intimidating place for visiting teams.

"Absolutely," Looker said. "I know if we play bad, we deserve to get scrutinized a little bit. But we’re all in this together. We’re all Rams. So we really need the city of St. Louis behind us. We’re all human; we recognize it when maybe the stadium’s not full or the crowd’s not in it. We’ve got to do everything we can to make sure those seats are full, and make sure we give them something to cheer about."

Take it from veteran defensive tackle La’Roi Glover — there’s only one way for Rams players to get the fans back on their side.

"Go earn your money," Glover said. "Go earn your keep. Go earn your respect. You want the fans to cheer for you, go make a play or two. You want all this stuff to change, go make plays."

Dept. of pageantry & game day atmosphere

Most of the improvements in the Edward Jones Dome will be in place for 2009, not the 2008 season. But there will be a few new touches in the Rams’ $300 million playpen.

For starters, spectators may now use credit cards at the concession stands.

There will be more banners and bigger banners commemorating some of the tradition of the Rams’ franchise. Past playoff appearances will be listed on the façade under the press box.

The Rams’ drum-line will make its debut Sunday. By NFL rule, they can’t be on the field during the game, but they’ll be around, banging away.

There’s supposed to be a large commemorative "Georgia" patch on the field, similar to what Rams players are wearing on their jerseys in honor of the late Rams owner Georgia Frontiere.

You want better music? "We have taken some of Steven Jackson’s suggestions and tried to make the music a little more geared up for the player intros and those kinds of things," said Bob Wallace, the Rams’ executive vice president-general counsel.

Also on Sunday, the Rams will have a special "mystery" guest introduce the starting lineup. No one at Rams Park would cough up the name. But here’s two hints:

1.) St. Louis sports icon.

2.) Backflip. MORE RAMS
    BUY TICKETS: All Rams games in '08
    SOUND OFF: Rams Talk forum
    BLOG: Around The Horns
    CHATS: Jim Thomas Live
    P-D PHOTOS: Rams galleries
    P-D STORIES: Last 14 days of Rams coverage

Shots fired

There’s no place to go but up for the Rams. ESPN.com’s NFL power rankings had St. Louis ranked 32nd — or dead last — after Week 1.

"No team looked worse than the Rams during opening week." That was part of ESPN.com Mike Sando’s analysis in the rankings.

"Why should it bother me?" Rams tight end Randy McMichael said. "The only thing I’m worried about is playing against the Giants. I don’t ever worry about what a sportswriter or an analyst or a poll or fans or what everybody says. It’s all about what you believe in the locker room. And we really feel like we’re a good football team."

Uh, not so far.

Take it from Dallas cornerback Adam "Don’t Call Me Pacman" Jones. He was asked about the high-powered passing attack of Monday’s opponent — the Philadelphia Eagles. Three Eagles receivers topped 100 yards in Week 1.

"They played the Rams, dude," Jones told the Dallas Morning News.

Ouch.

Troy’s take

Speaking of Cowboys, Troy Aikman knows a thing or two about playing quarterback. He has three Super Bowl rings and a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame to prove it. Now an analyst for Fox television, Aikman expressed what probably would be the minority opinion these days in St. Louis on quarterback Marc Bulger.

"I know this, when Marc Bulger is playing like I know he can play — like we’ve all seen him play — he’s as good as anybody in this league at getting the ball out, getting it out on time, and putting the ball accurately where it needs to be," Aikman said. "I think he’s a tremendously talented player. But this is a different group. It’s a different team. Probably a little different philosophy than what it was when he took over."

Where’s B. Leonard?

Conspicuous by his absence against Philadelphia was running back-fullback Brian Leonard. A second-round draft pick in 2007, Leonard was among the Rams’ designated inactives prior to the Eagles game in a mild surprise.

"I wasn’t 100 percent sure if I was going to be active or not throughout the week," Leonard said Monday. "Not being on any special teams (in practice) and not getting as many reps in practice. So I was figuring it would come down to game day, which it did."

Leonard has been slowed by a shoulder injury for the last four weeks. But with Antonio Pittman seemingly entrenched as Jackson’s backup, and Dan Kreider now the starting fullback, Leonard doesn’t seem to have much of a role. We’ll see if Leonard dresses Sunday.

:ramlogo:

eldfan is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Rams Extra: Needing fans for home field

"Take it from Dallas cornerback Adam "Don’t Call Me Pacman" Jones. He was asked about the high-powered passing attack of Monday’s opponent — the Philadelphia Eagles. Three Eagles receivers topped 100 yards in Week 1.

"They played the Rams, dude," Jones told the Dallas Morning News.

Ouch."

I know Jones is a thug man but that still hurt. Have the rams become the joke of the NFL?
    :ramlogo:

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Extra: Needing fans for home field

Take it from veteran defensive tackle La’Roi Glover — there’s only one way for Rams players to get the fans back on their side.

"Go earn your money," Glover said. "Go earn your keep. Go earn your respect. You want the fans to cheer for you, go make a play or two. You want all this stuff to change, go make plays."

Aint it the TRUTH!
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!