throwback week

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams "Faithful" Is Sucking The Enjoyment Out Of Being A Ram Fan

Allow me to get a bit philosophical for a moment...

Why do I, as a Ram fan, visit Ram football sites with the frequency that I do? Certainly, its not to obtain information, as that could be done in far less time. No, the primary reason is to enjoy the comeraderie of fellow Ram fans and "homer" sportswriters who cover the team.

Unfortunately, I find with increasing consistency that the "faithful" with whom I seek to share my love of the team has an increasingly and somewhat shockingly prevalent negative component.

Today is a perfect example.

The Rams won their opener. Sure, the game was much closer than most had expected. But there was plenty of good to take away from this game. The maligned O line did a great job. "Over-the-hill" Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce had great games. Rookie Steven Jackson continues to impress. Even Marc Bulger, who made some mistakes, overall played a good game.

I have no problem with anyone who tempers such observations with cautionary words about the problems the Rams exhibited today. The Rams did turn the ball over too much, had clock management snafus and were generally ineffective in the red zone.

My problem is with the manner in which the criticism is expressed. There seem to be a growing number of fans and sportswriters who go out of their way to stress the problems and downplay any positives.

We've been down this road before. I'm sure many will jump on me and say I'm a "rose colored glasses wearing Pollyanna" or something to that effect. I'm sure others will say they are just being objective realists.

But that just brings me to my original premise. I'm not here to be informed of flaws that I am already aware exist. I'm here to enjoy the company of other Ram fans. I read Ram sportwriters not to be informed - I can do that with simple KFFL blurbs - I read them to get an inside view on "our team."

So to those who feel the need to be negative to get their voices heard, I'm going to try to just not listen anymore.

I'm here to enjoy the team, and arguing with malcontents is simply not enjoyable.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Rams "Faithful" Is Sucking The Enjoyment Out Of Being A Ram Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm not here to be informed of flaws that I am already aware exist. I'm here to enjoy the company of other Ram fans.
    Ahh, so you were just joking around about cutting Blitz and I from the starting roster.

Had me worried there for a minute that you could no longer take a joke.

No I was serious about cutting you both, I just intended to resign you both to cap friendly deals the next day.

Oh, and thank you for that on point response. :bored:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good post, Av. Some people make it really hard to be a part of the Rams community and enjoy yourself.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Oh, and thank you for that on point response. :bored:
    Sorry my post did not meet your expectations.

All I can do is try and add some comeraderie.

Reborn Guest

No, the primary reason is to enjoy the comeraderie of fellow Ram fans and "homer" sportswriters who cover the team.
    So you come seeking comeraderie with like minded people who eat, drink, and sleep the same mentality and ways of expressing said mentality? And all those people who did not fit into your little box are negative people who are ruining your fun. Classic egotism. Very fitting for a lawyer.

Unfortunately, I find with increasing consistency that the "faithful" with whom I seek to share my love of the team has an increasingly and somewhat shockingly prevalent negative component.
    Funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing myself. Well flipped around of course. I call it as I see it. If you and yes your pollyanna friends don't like it then I must say TFB. Not only do we and trust me there are a lot ofu s on this board have to be subjected to you and others constant nothing can be wrong support then so should you be subjected to our realism. I would think being an educated man and all that you would have learned a long time ago that the pendulum swings two ways. And without one side well frankly it won't swing at all.

My problem is with the manner in which the criticism is expressed
    Shall we discuss manners AV. I think we shall. You don't like the way we express our criticism only because it does not fit into your design of how things should be done. Now granted we can get a bot routy at times. But how does this differ in an way shape or form from your blatant abuse of power when you disagree or don't like how something is said or done? Bannings, deleted posts, snide personal attacks, and overall condescending BS. All the above are so not so called mannerisms of a moderator.

As far as the rest of your post goes it is all crap and it is to late to pick it apart. I will leave you with this.

You are obviously searching for some sort of Ram board utopia which does not exist. The sooner you and your friends accept this the better off you will be. It may not be me or Ramtime or Yodude or anyone currently a member of this board but there will always be posters who call it as they see it. Learn to live with it.

Reborn

AugustaRamFan Guest

AV - I can see your point. I would also say that part of being a Ram Fan, is taking the good and bad. Those of us that have been Fans through the dark times, know what bad is....

and I think that things could be even better for the team now, for reasons I will share in future posts.

Like Mamma always said, "...better to have folks think you are an idiot, then to open your mouth, or in this case, post a reply, and remove all doubt." Where have I heard that??
    Plus, some folks just can't help themselves....

That brings me to a question for the other Moderators. Why are most (all that I have seen) of the Message Board histories, reflected as Po :redface: sitive? Is this earned? How is it determined. Mine is positve, while I think of myself as
    a moderate...? Just curious.

I hate to say this but the post by Bernie the Dolt kind of summed it up for me.
    BernieM wrote:
    And how exactly did you arrive to the conclusion that Arizona wanted to win the game more?

One team had 448 yards; the other 260.
    One team had 27 first downs, the other 14.
    One team forced eight punts; the other team forced three.

Rams turnovers were the reason why the game was close. Steven Jackson fumbled....was it because of a lack of desire? .... Bulger threw an INT; was it because he didn't want to win? Looker got hit and fumbled; was it because he didn't care?

Did you see the Rams defense? All three times after the Rams offense turned the ball over, they forced Arizona off the field in three plays....after the long kickoff return to the STL 29-yard line, the Rams defense forced AZ to settle for a field goal. In the fourth quarter, protecting a 7-point lead, the Rams defense held three different times and forced punts. Is that not a show of character, heart, whatever you want to call it?

What about the Rams offensive line? Rams RBs averaged 5.9 yards per carry; no sacks were allowed. Did the Rams' offensive line lay down and play lethargically? If so, back it up.

Rams LB Pisa Tinoisimoa suffered a dislocated shoulder and had to leave the game...the docs popped it back in place, put the shoulder in a harness, and he returned to play....he was in a tremendous amount of pain. But he played on. CB Jerametrius Butler dislocated a couple of fingers, had them popped back into place, and played the rest of the way....yeah, the Rams really dogged it.

I'm just looking for some evidence to support the accusation that the Cardinals cared more about winning than the Rams.

Cheers,
    Bernie
    Lets stop killing a player when he does something wrong. He messed up and you guys are all over him like ****e on a stick.

Personally, I thought the Rams had a bloody great game , apart from those 3 turnovers that happened to be three different players but somehow there are turning into either Matrzes or Bulgers fault.

Lets all chill and be thankfull that we dont support the cardinals or the whiners LOL

RamWraith is offline Registered User

ahhhh Avenger you offer a breath of fresh air!! THANKS!!

I feel you man, I really do and think there is a lot of us out there, whether we are posters or lurkers, we are there. I am unsure what people wanted from the game. I think they thought the 'Tards were going to rollover and play dead for us. I am not sure which game other people were watching that seem to think our world is coming crashing down. But last I checked we dominated this game. If not for STUPID mistakes we could have scored 35 and then we all could hear about how the Rams are back etc...

Make up your mind people, either get on the wagon or off, 'cause this ride is going to bumpy no matter how you look at it. But the destination is the same; the playoffs.

P.S- Bernie sure has a way of seeing the truth doesn't he Dez. What a reporter! He gives his opinion and not just the facts. He is able to draw the conclusions with his own intellect based on what he observes. GOOD REPORTING!!

Bernies a DOLT and an attention seeker and will do anything to get said attention.
    Just because he hit the nail on the head once does not make him a good writer. :tough:

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bernie is one of the few writers in St. Louis that can actually make you think. We have entirely too many writers that are concerned about their reputations and do not lay it on the line. At least the guy can give a professional opinion other that some that report only facts. Fact writers are SO exciting!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think there are some people who make it a point to recognize both the positives and negatives while trying to stay optimistic. Then there are those who very rarely recognize the positives, and focus primarily on the negatives, only showing themselves when there's something bad they can harp on.

What Avenger is trying to say, and what I wholeheartedly agree with, is that it's important to maintain a balanced perspective. I don't think anyone is blind enough to think that nothing is wrong with this team and there's no room for improvement because everything is A-OK. But as fans of the team, I think some of us would like to remain optimistic and hopeful about what's going on.

What fun is it to constantly berate and belittle the team and players that we love? How exactly can some fans say they support the Rams when all they do is try to bring them down?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Talking Re: Rams "Faithful" Is Sucking The Enjoyment Out Of Being A Ram Fan

I have noticed that most people in this board have a positive outlook on the Rams as a whole, but some do seem to vent a lot about certain individuals.
    Since re-discovering the Clan last year on the old site, I noticed that Martz, Warner, Bulger, Pace, Faulk, a bunch of sportswriters, and many others not mentioned here have all been described in negative ways. Is this wrong? Not in itself, because this is a discussion board.
    For instance, I didn't expect the game yesterday to be perfect for us. I know we have had problems on our o-line (which seem to be fading as our boys learn to work together), problems in defense (which look to be fading as well), and problems in special teams (which look to still be there.) I also knew the Cards would come here looking for blood. They have a couple of young players that seem to be heading for outstanding careers, and one old guy that can still move the ball when he gets his Geritol IV...in other words, the Cards are on the way up, not laying there like the Chargers.
    All in all, even with the mistakes, the patchwork team we have had to stitch together since the beginning of camp seems to be in a good state, but I am positive that as time goes on this season, we will see our team improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn
    Bannings, deleted posts, snide personal attacks, and overall condescending BS. All the above are so not so called mannerisms of a moderator.
    I have not banned anyone ever, I've almost never had to delete a post, and as for "personal attacks" and "condescending BS".... well, let's just say that you are again apparently taking the role of the pot calling the kettle black(trout).

Of course, you are well aware of that - but I want others to be clear on this point.

Your act is getting tired, Trout. Maybe you should be reborn somewhere else.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-13-2004 at 12:50 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

This is a discussion board just like the rest. I don't necessarily care for the incessant criticisms about Martz that seem to crop up without backup but that's to be expected about almost every coach. My only thing would be that if someone dosen't like something about the Rams, please back it up with facts and not the rhetorical "they suck" retort.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast