general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams fall 23-16 to Patriots; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Despite the absence of Steven Jackson and Adam Carriker and mid-game injuries to Ron Bartell (head) and Leonard Little (hamstring), the new Haslett-tough Rams battled valiantly on the road before dropping a tight game to Darth Hoodie and the Belicheats . This was indeed a gutsy performance by a team that bears no semblance of any kind to the pathetic squad in the horns under Scott Loserhan. The Haslett led Rams are risk taking fighters that play to win, rather than trying not to lose. They fight to the end regardless of adversity and one-sided officiating (9 penalties for 63 yards for the Rams and NO PENALTIES for the Patriots). They utilize the resources they have an are integrating rookies (Long, Avery, Burton) who will be core players for years to come. Like many NFL games, this one came down to a few critical plays separating the teams. A break here or there and this one could have gone the other way. Our failure to convert in the red zone was probably the difference between winning and losing today. Poor red zone performance along with an inability to get pressure on a young qb, coupled with the fact that we were missing by far our best weapon in The Big Boy, were simply a little too much to overcome today.

The Good

Haslett had the Rams ready to play again today and i expect that will be the case for the rest of the year. The fire in the team is obvious regardless of the game circumstances. Haslett boldly went for it on 4th and 1 on our own 40 early in the game and converted an onside kick to start the second half. I love the mentality of trying to win, rather than playing not to lose. I didnt love the running up the middle multiple times down by the goal line, i thought we should have tried harder to throw it into the end zone, but on the whole, i think you have to say "job well done" to Haslett today. Missing Jackson really limits his weapons and choices on offense.

For the second week in a row, i ask whether anyone still has a problem with the Donnie Avery pick (6 catches 163 yards and a td). We have the deep threat we have been missing since curtis left and there is no limit to Avery's upside as he gains experience and learns the hot reads (which he missed twice today). I love how he goes up in traffic to get the ball in addition to his ability to make guys miss after the catch. If this was the guy Linehan wanted, at least we can say that he did one positive thing for the team while he was here.

Marc Bulger had a solid game today and i thought the announcer (pearson) was far too harsh. Bulger was 18-34-301 yards, 1 td and 1 int (which came on what was basically a desparation throw at the end). When bulger had time, he was pretty deadly. Sure he missed a couple of throws and you know he isnt the most mobile guy in the world, but he made some great deep throws in addition to some terrific out routes. I think its easy to say "get rid of the ball and dont take the sack" but when you are inside the pocket in traffic, thats a lot easier said than done because as you are winding up to throw, thats when you tend to get clobbered and lose the ball. The 69 yard td to Avery was surely a thing of beauty and bulger and avery are developing real chemistry.

Pittman had some solid hard runs 19-83 but it was very rough going up the middle in the second half. He doesnt have anywhere near the burst to the outside that jackson has, but when the O Line gave him a crease, he run effectively between the tackles including a couple of nice draw plays.

The Offensive line continues to improve. You cant forget that the Patriots have a top notch front seven. We had some dumb penalties on the O Line (two drive killing holds that potentially cost us one or two field goals) and the usual stupid false starts. Regardless of the couple of calls the refs missed (ie late hit on bulger at the end and the late hit after the brown INT), notice how the patriots didnt commit a single false start or offside all game. That exceptional fundemental is a big part of their success. They dont beat themselves. We ran for close to 100 yards, had 358 yards of total offense and only one turnover. Bulger had time in the first half especially and the production showed. Still plenty of room for improvement, but we are certainly a lot better than we were early in the year. A healthy jacob bell sure helps.

The defense played an excellent game today, getting 3 sacks, holding them to under 100 yards rushing (and 348 total yards) and causing two turnovers despite having the worst of the field position battle all day. The defense certainly played well enough to win. The stop by clifton ryan on 4th down in the 4th quarter was a great play. Some nice play by Fahkir Brown (who i still cant believe that Loserhan cut) and of course Chris Long, with 4 tackles, 2 sacks and a nice pass coverage. Long is coming into his own. He is going to be a true superstar for years to come. The loss of Little really hurt and our failure to get a sustained pass rush killed us. Cassell, a young qb, had way too much time to throw too often and Welker killed us on third downs. The coverage on moss and welker wasnt terrible, but with too much time to thrown, it was inevitable we were going to give up some plays down the field.

Josh Brown is truly Wilkins reincarnated. In addition to his Money-like accuracy on field goals, he showed the capacity today to make terrific open field tackles (a play on which he actually caught the return guy from behind!) and to execute brilliant on-side kicks, something wilkins was the best at in the entire NFL (See the tape of the carolina playoff game).

The Bad

Poor play in the red zone killed us. You are going to have a really tough time beating a team as good as new england on the road if you are going to kick two field goals off of two first downs on the 1o yard line.

Our third down conversion rate of 5-16 isnt going to get it done in a tough road game.

Too many stupid penalties (false starts, offensive holding, holding to nullify a 70 yard kickoff return by hall).

No pass rush (see above) other than chris long a couple of times. Cassell had all day to throw and plenty of room to step up in the pocket.

The drop by Brown on the possible INT at the goal line cost us three points.

Terrible kick coverage giving them the ball at midfield when Draft had the guy tackled at about the 25.

The Ugly

Donnie Jones has been amazing all year but even though his average wasnt terrible today (6-40.8) it was by far his worst game and his 29 yard punt with the game on the line was just UGLY!!!!

Summary

The Rams have nothing to be ashamed of today. They played their hearts out and lost a tough NFL road game. The Patriots are quite aware of how close this game came to going the other way and to play them this tight without Steven Jackson will hopefully enable the Rams to remain upbeat and confident as they head into a critical division matchup next week vs. the Big Dead. The Cardinals lost a tough game to Carolina on the road today so we remain two games out of first. A win next week at home and we are right in the hunt for the NFC west division title and a potential playoff spot. While its a war every week in the NFL, the Rams are through the worst part of the schedule at this point and now clearly control their own destiny based on the number of NFC West games remaining. Lets hope Leonard Little, Carriker and Bartell are ready to play next week. We are going to need all the pass rush and coverage skills we can muster to take on Captain Kurt, Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston. Most importantly, BRING BACK THE BIG BOY!!!! We are going to need to run the ball down the throats of the Cardinals to set up the throws down the field.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan Guest

Re: Rams fall 23-16 to Patriots; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

great job once again GC, I am very excited about the way this team has turned around and I also think they can make a run at the playoffs. I think Bulger could have played better,maybe better decision making,but a good game, Chris Long will be a pro bowler within 2 years,I thought Pittman played great,he was coming off an injury and lets not forget he isn't Jackson but filled in well today,Avery will be a superstar,Holt needs to come out of his coma,Josh Brown is awesome, overall a pretty good game even though it was a loss,Haslett has done wonders with this team,the talent was there it just needed to be unleashed and your point about playing to win is spot on.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Always love your comments GC, but I can't agree with you today about the defense. 348yards is not a good day at the office. With all of the time Cassell had it's a wonder we kept both Moss & Welker out of the endzone.

The good: Avery, Long, and our DB's who today did better than expected. Also its funny that everyone acts like Avery both caught & threw the ball to himself and have totally ignored that Bulger was the other part of that passing duo, but oh well.

The Bad: My boi Donnie Jones, but he's not alone today. Both our O-Line (below average play once again)(yet Bulger still passed for 301 yards) and D-Line (no pass rush).

Championships start with the line of scrimmage, and we have to address both sides of the line of scrimmage this off season or we'll see more of the same next year.

ManofGod, i hear you loud and clear, but my analysis is relative to prior performance. I didnt say we were dominant, but i think its clear that the defense played well enough to win today. The pass rush needs to improve for sure, but what do you think is going to happen with Little, our best pass rusher out of the game? Losing carriker means glover has to play more and the more he plays, the less effective he is going to be. Also, you have to consider the opposition. The patriots are missing brady and their runners, but at the offensive and defensive lines, they are still dominant. Look how much better we played today on the line on both sides of the ball then we did in the first four weeks.

no question i agree, we need dramatic improvement on the offensive line if we are going to become an elite team again, but i think todays performance, coupled with the last couple of weeks, shows we are headed in the right direction. The heading of the category is "good" not " great or dominant"

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger had a solid game today and i thought the announcer (pearson) was far too harsh. Bulger was 18-34-301 yards, 1 td and 1 int (which came on what was basically a desparation throw at the end). When bulger had time, he was pretty deadly. Sure he missed a couple of throws and you know he isnt the most mobile guy in the world, but he made some great deep throws in addition to some terrific out routes. I think its easy to say "get rid of the ball and dont take the sack" but when you are inside the pocket in traffic, thats a lot easier said than done because as you are winding up to throw, thats when you tend to get clobbered and lose the ball. The 69 yard td to Avery was surely a thing of beauty and bulger and avery are developing real chemistry.

general counsel[/QUOTE]

Surely you are kidding me General.

Yet another pass for Marc Bulger??? I'm starting to think you're watching these games with your heart instead of your eyes.

There is no way, you watch this game as a Ram fan and not think "had we had better QB play", we win this game fairly easily, provided your watching with your eyes.

People who know the game, and who watch the games with their eyes, cannot be deceived by a 300 yard passing day.

The bottom line is Marc Bulger flat out stunk with the game in the balance. Not only the final drive but the entire second half.

And for you to pass-off his ill-advised throw into triple coverage to effectively end all hope, as just some desperation heave (ala the hail mary) at the end of a game, is simply irresponsible of you. That is not what it was.

There was still over a minute left on the clock, with the Rams in Patriot territory. And to make matters worse, he had plenty of time to throw on the play.

In fact he had plenty of time to throw for a good part of the day, but save for the Dallas game, he simply cannot sustain drives and put points on the board. Do you realize that 38 year old Brett Favre had more TD passes in 1 game than Marc Bulger has all season? How sad is that? But yet he continues to get a pass when it comes to passing blame around.

Marc Bulger threw with one foot on the sideline for most of the second half, whether he had pressure or not. Turning throws I can make into a work of art.

When the receivers have to dive for 10 yard outs, you can probably surmise that your QB isn't exactly in complete control.

There was a series after the Rams took a 16 to 13 lead where they got the ball back with a chance to put the Patriots away. Not!!! Marc Bulger looked like he needed to use the bathroom or something. As quick a three and out as I've seen this year. At that point I knew we had no chance to win this game unless we scored on defense or special teams.

I missed the first drive of the second half, but coming away with no points after recovering an on-side kick is just more proof that Marc Bulger is far from the level his contract says he is and apparently you believe he is.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

general counsel

Yet another pass for Marc Bulger??? I'm starting to think you're watching these games with your heart instead of your eyes.

There is no way, you watch this game as a Ram fan and not think "had we had better QB play", we win this game fairly easily, provided your watching with your eyes.

People who know the game, and who watch the games with their eyes, cannot be deceived by a 300 yard passing day.

The bottom line is Marc Bulger flat out stunk with the game in the balance. Not only the final drive but the entire second half.

And for you to pass-off his ill-advised throw into triple coverage to effectively end all hope, as just some desperation heave (ala the hail mary) at the end of a game, is simply irresponsible of you. That is not what it was.

There was still over a minute left on the clock, with the Rams in Patriot territory. And to make matters worse, he had plenty of time to throw on the play.

In fact he had plenty of time to throw for a good part of the day, but save for the Dallas game, he simply cannot sustain drives and put points on the board. Do you realize that 38 year old Brett Favre had more TD passes in 1 game than Marc Bulger has all season? How sad is that? But yet he continues to get a pass when it comes to passing blame around.

Marc Bulger threw with one foot on the sideline for most of the second half, whether he had pressure or not. Turning throws I can make into a work of art.

When the receivers have to dive for 10 yard outs, you can probably surmise that your QB isn't exactly in complete control.

There was a series after the Rams took a 16 to 13 lead where they got the ball back with a chance to put the Patriots away. Not!!! Marc Bulger looked like he needed to use the bathroom or something. As quick a three and out as I've seen this year. At that point I knew we had no chance to win this game unless we scored on defense or special teams.

I missed the first drive of the second half, but coming away with no points after recovering an on-side kick is just more proof that Marc Bulger is far from the level his contract says he is and apparently you believe he is.[/quote]

Yes, of course, it had nothing to do with Jacob Bust, er, Bell, and Leckey's inability to block anything that moves, or the ridiculous officials ...

It was all Bulger's fault, as usual ...

He made mistakes, he did not lose the game ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

I missed the first drive of the second half, but coming away with no points after recovering an on-side kick is just more proof that Marc Bulger is far from the level his contract says he is and apparently you believe he is.
    Yes, of course, it had nothing to do with Jacob Bust, er, Bell, and Leckey's inability to block anything that moves, or the ridiculous officials ...

It was all Bulger's fault, as usual ...

He made mistakes, he did not lose the game ...[/QUOTE]

FORTUNINERHATER: When you are making more money than any Ram that has ever suited up, you had better damn well play like it, or you will be ripped PERIOD

I dont appreciate the personal attack. I have been watching rams football for over 30 years. We can agree to disagree. In the second half we had inferior pass protection, very limited running game, and some very young receivers not making adjustments on hot reads. Go watch the tape and then tell me that I am "irresponsible."

Did bulger drop the ball that hit Brown in the hands on the goal line? Did bulger kick a 29 yard punt with the game on the line? Did bulger have countless false starts and holds in critical situations?

This stuff that he lost the game on his own are classic overreactions. How about the two throws to avery? Do they count at all? How many conversions do you expect from the qb when you are in third and long all the time.

Before someone attacks me personally, please go look up the numbers and let me know the nfl average for conversions on third and long and let me know how much better or worse bulger does than anyone else.

Disagreeing with other fans is a great thing on the board. Personal attacks and insults arent appropriate and i dont appreciate it.

I stand by my statement in my post and my prior posts on bulger. Its easy to criticize. Name me 10 qb's that you like better in the nfl, and make darn sure that you are comparing apples to apples (ie similar blocking, running game and receivers). How do you think bulger would do behind the patriots offensive line. I guess you dont think that missing jackson matters at all in the performance of the qb.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini Guest

Great as always GC.

I hate how people say Bulger blew the game. Which isn't true. He was sacked four times. He was running for his life, yet still managed to do pretty good. Him and Avery are having a good chemistry and we need that against a tough Cards team.

Today, I realized that we really need Jackson out there. I hope he comes back next week at 100% because we really need it. Now, I'm not bashing Pittman. He came in and did his job. Pretty well if I may add. But we need SJax out there.

Our defense didn't have too much pressure on the QB. And with us playing Kurt and his corps, it will be tough on us. We need to pressure the QB.

In the end, we played pretty well today. Sure, we didn't come out with a win. But we played a tough opponent in their house. We played toe to toe with them and I hope we use this as motivation to come out next week and do better.

GO RAMS

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont appreciate the personal attack. I have been watching rams football for over 30 years. We can agree to disagree. In the second half we had inferior pass protection, very limited running game, and some very young receivers not making adjustments on hot reads. Go watch the tape and then tell me that I am "irresponsible."

Did bulger drop the ball that hit Brown in the hands on the goal line? Did bulger kick a 29 yard punt with the game on the line? Did bulger have countless false starts and holds in critical situations?

This stuff that he lost the game on his own are classic overreactions. How about the two throws to avery? Do they count at all? How many conversions do you expect from the qb when you are in third and long all the time.

Before someone attacks me personally, please go look up the numbers and let me know the nfl average for conversions on third and long and let me know how much better or worse bulger does than anyone else.

Disagreeing with other fans is a great thing on the board. Personal attacks and insults arent appropriate and i dont appreciate it.

I stand by my statement in my post and my prior posts on bulger. Its easy to criticize. Name me 10 qb's that you like better in the nfl, and make darn sure that you are comparing apples to apples (ie similar blocking, running game and receivers). How do you think bulger would do behind the patriots offensive line. I guess you dont think that missing jackson matters at all in the performance of the qb.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

First of all, there was no personal attack, but I apologize if you are offended by what I said. Certainly was not my intent.

My point was that sometimes we do get emotionally involved in these games, and sometimes it does alter how we look at certain things. I'm guilty of it too at times, so if you believe it was a personal attack then I've personally attacked myself as well.

Having said that however, it appears that we are watching two totally different games at times.

While I don't believe any one player can lose a game by himself, he can adversely affect his team more than another.

As we all know, the QB is the highest profile athelete on the football field. Being in that position he will automatically get most of the credit when things go well, and most of the blame when they don't. Sometimes justified and sometimes not.

But if you know the game you realize that everyone who plays at some point or another, is going to be to blame for something. Whether it be a missed block, a dropped pass, a missed field goal, a missed tackle, a fumble, an INTERCEPTION, a key penalty, etc. I mean if you play long enough, at some point you're going to be to blame for something aren't you?

I'm just wondering, in your mind, when has Marc Bulger ever been to blame for anything? Seems to me you have nothing but good things to say about him as if he's won 3 Superbowls or something even when he clearly has not performed well.

Do you really believe he's playing at a level that warranted his contract? If you do, why? If you don't, why not?

I'd like to know how you come to the conclusion that as the Rams starting QB, or any QB for any team for that matter, that is 2 and 5, can escape all blame week in and week out, while everybody else is shredded.

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

great game by the boys besides the loss but the niners' gettin stomped kinda numbed the pain for me.

krist042 Guest

I love reading your comments every week GC, especially because I don't get a chance to watch the games and you are very detailed on everything they did right, and wrong. Thanks.

As I said, I didn't watch the game. But just off the stats, Bulger didn't look horrible at all. Especially when the interception came at a point where the Pats were in a Prevent defense. If anything lost us the game, it seems like it was the penalties and red zone performance. I could explain but it is pretty self-explanatory: a lot of penalties and FG's in the red zone doesn't win games. Although, the Rams did prove to me again that they are tough and were in this game throughout, even without S Jack. With S Jack hopefully back next week, I am liking are chances in a crucial game against the Cards next week.