Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams FAns Need To Get a Grip

Fans Need To Get a Grip
    by Barry Waller

It seems like fans choose THEIR guy in this coaching search, like they actually know more than the GM and owner who talk to everybody these guys ever worked for or coached they can find, which is a bunch, then ***** if it isn't the guy in the end.

Fans ignore whether that guy even showed interest himself in really being the guy chosen, or had an eye on another job far more intently.

They ignore the history of coaching hires all over and focus on what happened here. Garrett looks too much like Linehan, Fassell too much like Haslett etc etc.

They even look the other way about their general philosophy of the guy that is the best choice. They want a defensive coach, because Martz and Linehan were offensive guys, ignoring the fact that as many defensive coaches, like Marvin Frazier, Ray Rhodes, Romeo Crennel, Buddy Ryan, Bob Hollway, etc, were horrific head coaches.

Fans look at a Lovie Smith or Mike Tomlin and see every African-American defensive coordinator available in the same light.

Fans look at coordinators that have had success as assistants this year as saviors, and others who were just as hot a year or two ago, but who's light has dimmed because of one lesser year, ignoring the talent each had available.

Fans see conspiracy everywhere, that it's a buddy buddy deal with Devaney or willingness to work cheaper that hjas the final say.

They will be negative right from the start if their guy isn't THE guy. They would just say "Just like continuing with Linehan or Haslett" becfore he works a day.

Does that seem fair, based on what fans REALLY know about any of these guys, their work habits, off field stuff etc?

Guys like Bernie Miklasz and Jim Thomas have some access to all the info, but certainly not as much as those about to invest their FUTURE, and millions of bucks on their guy.

Even those guys, being sane and honest, would agree, just as they would agree that fans know about a tenth as much as they do, particularly because many off the record stuff is held back by these media insiders.

Just like with the draft, there seems to be a growing number of fans who truly think they have football minds better than those who make their living running, and coaching, NFL clubs.

They need to realize that while they may actually end up right on a subject or hiring, the odds that they really are a better bet to follow than the professionals, is really really slim.

Of course, unless a team is 100% right all the time, there will be times that a fan can get it better, and those fans will crow when they do beat the GM in a finale outcome.

I have no problem with fans going after those who clearly are out of their league in the front office, or on the field or sideline. That's why we love sports so much.

But a true fan would not simply think they are surely the one with the right idea, because if it isn't the road a team follows, there is no way to prove the fan wrong.

A true fan might have doubts, but not to the point of throwing their season tickets in the river, never following the team, being completely negative to a point of insanity.

Those that go over the edge are almost like a soon to be parent that wants his wife to have a boy so bad, that if it's a girl he just knows she will be a dissapointment, and raises her with that attitude as her dad.

Fans may be at the top of the pyramid when it means who makes the NFL work, but they are at the bottom when it comes to knowledge of evaluating talent, ability to run a team financially, the ability to develop talent, the ability to put together game plans and overall schemes, and certainly the ability to make key hires.

Accept that, and quit jumping to conclusions, and it will make being a fan far more fun.

Barry Waller

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams FAns Need To Get a Grip

Great, great write-up.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Good read, Barry

Many good points that I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I have no problem with fans going after those who clearly are out of their league in the front office, or on the field or sideline. That's why we love sports so much.
    This is too all-inclusive and it is cetainly not why I love sports.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Barry, I really like to read your posts but I think you may be a little hard on the fans here,they have as much a right to there opinion as you do and I will admit there are some guys on this site who feel they are "coaches in waiting" so to speak and do know more than NFL personal which of course they don't but isn't this what being a fan is all about thinking that they can do just as good a job as the people who are there,we have seen many failures recently in the Rams organization which would lead one to believe they could do better given the chance and since that won't happen they voice it on sites such as this. Until this organization which is suppose to know what they are doing turns this thing around fans will continue to voice there displeasure with it whatever way they choose and have every right to do so. And again this post is with all due respect but go easy on the fans,it's been a tough couple of seasons.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Fans look at a Lovie Smith or Mike Tomlin and see every African-American defensive coordinator available in the same light.
    Sorry but what the hell is that supposed to mean? They were great coordinators as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the rest of the story goes, I agree to an extent, but it's like, gee, sorry we care. I didn't hate Garrett because he "looked like Linehan", I looked at the similiarities. As I've said over and over, I want drastic changes, as does everyone else, and to me, hiring Garrett wouldn't have been drastic at all...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

HornIt is offline Registered User

That's just way too level headed.

Look, I understand why so many Rams fans are this restless. The team has been horrible for two years now and not very good for a lot longer than that. This team hasn't put a quality product on the field since 2003 and I seriously question the actual quality of that team too. It wasn't very good but it did catch a lot of breaks. We found out how mediocre it really was very quickly when the post season started.

So it's been a long time since this team has been a real contender. Like... since 2001 long time.

What is difficult for me to grasp, however, is how so many fans were and are just fine with continuing on with a guy who lost more than he won as a HC with another team and then was an unmitigated failure as a coach with the Rams for three years. There were clear and strong signs to indicate that would have been a terrible decision, IMO.

Yet, with Garrett, there is no record there to warrant this kind of disgust with the decision, but the dislike for the decision is far more intense than a decision to keep a proven failure would have been. People for weeks talked about how Devaney was what we had been looking for for so long. We needed to trust and believe in Devaney. Apparently that only meant so long as he was serious about hiring "our" guy.

Garrett is full of promise and potential. He's also full of risk. It's a risky proposition anytime a new leader is named. Hiring Head Coaches is obviously an inexact science. And we can either embrace or fear that untapped promise. I imagine what we're seeing right now is similar to how Baltimore fans reacted when they hired a 45 year old Special Teams and DB coach from the Eagles who had never been a Head Coach before or even coordinated an offense or defense before to be their Head Coach.....that is, after their first and most popular choice, Jason Garrett, had turned them down. We can only hope that next year at this time, we learn that Rams fans' fears were was just as misplaced as Ravens fans' fears were a year ago when they didn't get their guy.
    Last edited by HornIt; -01-17-2009 at 03:09 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Hey, Barry, why don't you lighten up a bit, huh? While most EVERY fan of ANY team is guilty of bad judgment from time to time stemming from emotion, EVERYONE has a right to voice their opinions, unless this is communist China. Truth be told, you make some very good points, but were WAY TOO HEAVY HANDED in conveying them- which makes you look foolish. Not all fans are idiots- and considering there is a fair share of self-serving know-nothing hack sportswriters out there, I'd say preaching to them is unnecessary.

And not for nothing, where do you think most fans get their information from (and thus form their opinion) about these coaches? That's right, FROM THE MEDIA!!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

His point is spot on. Too many fans who think they have a clue how things are ran come on here all riled up over a rumor and run their ignorant mouths and look like fools. Is it harsh to say that? Maybe, but it's true.

blood85 is offline Registered User

I disagree Barry. Just because I don't "play" pro-ball, or involved in the daily front office decisions, doesn't mean I don't know anything about the ins-n-outs of the sport. Many Ramsfans on this board are very bright people. Granted, maybe they don't have the atheltiscism to run the 40 in 4.4 and bench 405, but that does not mean that they don't know the "game". Just like there are coaches who don't know what the hell they are doing, there are fans who don't know what they are talking about, but at the same time some very good coaches and very intelligent fans.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I would just like to state that Sarah has no comment at this time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Barry that is a great article that was a long time coming.

My prediction..........waaaaay too many fans reading this article are going to think Barry is writing directly to them.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    they have as much a right to there opinion as you do
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    While most EVERY fan of ANY team is guilty of bad judgment from time to time stemming from emotion, EVERYONE has a right to voice their opinions
    You're completely missing the point if you think Barry was saying you can't voice your opinion at all. The point is that opinions should be tempered by the realization that, as a fan, your knowledge of the situation is extremely limited. Not only do fans not have access to the kind of information organizations do, but they also don't have the experience within the league either.

That's not to say fans never get it right or that organizations never get it wrong, or that those topics shouldn't be discussed, but fans who approach news as if their opinion on the topic is certified fact and they know better than everyone bring little of value to the table.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Reality is so hard for some irrational fans to stomach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

First of all let me say we don't live in a perfect world. At least I don't. Some people come to this site to read and learn about the most recent news concerning their favorite team. Others come to not only read and learn but also get involved with their respective honest opinions. Some may be offended or feel like anothers opinion is ludicrous. There's nothing wrong with that, kind of goes with the territory. To put boundries on a persons opinion or opinions is unrealistic in my honest opinion. I feel fairly confident that all of us have had some pretty interesting debates with any or all other active posters on this site. That too goes with the territory. Who has the right to tell RAMS fans how to act? No one that's who.

Sure I've read plenty of posts on this site from people saying if this happens I'm going to find a new team. Or if that happens I'm giving up my tickets. My opinion, though I generally keep it to myself is so what it's your loss. NEXT!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

My wife asked me if I am happy with the hiring of Spaganola (I know, I have to learn how to spell his name). I told her to ask me again after we have played 4-5 games.

I never did weigh-in on the coach selection (other than my push for Ditka) as I do not know if any of the candidates can make it as a head coach. What I do know is that I want to see my team win some freaking games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast