Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams FAns Need To Get a Grip

Have fans really been saying they know better than the front office? I've seen fans saying they would prefer one coach over another. I even chose my favourite for the HC position as Leslie Frazier. But i wasn't thinking that if the Rams chose someone else i would revolt. And Frazier was only my pick since i thought Spags would have gone elsewhere

This is the off season for us Rams fans, we have very little else to talk about before free agency opens. So no wonder the fans jumped at the chance to speculate over who the Rams would hire. There is a large amount of rumours that were being thrown around, and a large amount of information. Interested fans used that information to choose who they would like to be the next HC. But that was it. No one was no one i saw proclaiming themselves smarter than the Rams FO, all i saw were Rams fans just having some fun in the offseason

AlphaRam Guest

Barry, it would seem that a return visit is in order to address some of the responses by some members of the Clan. Almost every arsonist goes back to see the effect of the fire he has started.....and you, sir, threw a gas bomb (though not the kind BRM is famous for dispensing).

RamOfDenmark Guest

Fans know much less about football than the people who are paid millions for it as their jobs? Fans jump to conclusions without having all the facts? Couldn't you say that about any subject whatsoever? Essentially it boils down to this: the experts know more about the subject than random people.

Insightful.

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Fans know much less about football than the people who are paid millions for it as their jobs? Fans jump to conclusions without having all the facts? Couldn't you say that about any subject whatsoever? Essentially it boils down to this: the experts know more about the subject than random people.

Insightful.
    Daaaaaaaaaah...wha he talkin' bout Cleatis?

Daaaaaaaaaah...I reckin' I dunno Daryl...

Daaaaaaaaaah...I hates bein jus' a randumb peoples...

Daaaaaaaaaah...I wish I cud git me a tittall of eckpurt...

Daaaaaaaaaah...Nah, ya gots ta new rookit seance...

Daaaaaaaaaah...To pic a coach?

Daaaaaaaaaah...I dunt new...I geese in Denmark ya do...
    Last edited by bigredman; -01-18-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Everyone has the right to express an opinion on these boards insofar as it doesn't offend the holder of the big red button by violating what most users know to be the conventions here.

But then Barry wasn't saying that they didn't have that right.

Azul points to what he was saying:

"..... slinging totally mindless mud at players (and) coaches..."
    To me, if the Linehan regime was to be known for anything aside from a continuation of the slide that can be seen after Martz' departure it was for 'mindless mud', on internet chat boards at least.

You'd have to be seriously delusional to be believe that any Rams player, coach or front office staffer would pay any attention at all to what is said here. They know just how fickle the fan-base can be and how little you can rely on their judgement.

They're concerned with the more financial aspects of fan displeasure to be sure; things like game day attendance for example but to suggest that they actually make decisions, gameplan and succession plan around what we write here is fanciful.

You don't have to look too far on these boards to find such suggestions either.

I'm a fan and I'm no less subject to the prevailing mood than the next man but as Nick points out, I have no conception that I'm better at being a GM than Devaney, that I'm a better tight-end than McMichael (had my moments in my glorious youth ) or that I could coach the receivers better then Henry Ellard.

What I find interesting is the sensitivity shown by many of the posters here in responding to Barry's article. Presumably, if they have the ability to post what they will regarding their opinions on the team, then equally they should be prepared for critical comment concerning that opinion.

If there's anything we know on these boards its that you shouldn't dish it out (criticism) if you can't also take it.

I have donned my tin hat.

Fire away.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i am a better tight end than Joe Klopfenstein though...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i am a better tight end than Joe Klopfenstein though...
    But not better than..what was his name? ....

Oh right, Owen Daniels.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUb
    My prediction..........waaaaay too many fans reading this article are going to think Barry is writing directly to them.
    Ahhhh. After missing on Frazier, it feels good to get a prediction right.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

This is based on the assumption those that have the power have a clue. Also based in this falicy is the fact that sometimes the closer you are to a subject the more blind you are to the big picture and the obvious.

Personally I can not wait to see how Burwell plays kiss ass now. I like this FACT! that nobody had a clue and no insider leak happened with either local or national media! Granted it made go cocoo for coco puffs, but the outcome could not of been better.

"Even those guys, being sane and honest, would agree, just as they would agree that fans know about a tenth as much as they do, particularly because many off the record stuff is held back by these media insiders.

Just like with the draft, there seems to be a growing number of fans who truly think they have football minds better than those who make their living running, and coaching, NFL clubs."

Yodude is offline Registered User

This is one of those posts that's analogous to when you say something general directed a small group of people within a larger group and you follow it up by saying, "and you know who you are."

To anyone who would read Barry's post and take offense to it, I would say that, yes, it probably was directed at them. I went back and reread it a few times and really, I don't see anything in there to get up in arms about.

Good post Barry, as always!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Is this my Horn it? dat you screwball?

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Are Rams fans really any more ignorant and self important than any other fan base? In my experience every team has it's share of meffelated idiots who think they know it all, you only need to read some of the eyewateringly bigoted and clueless comments to Fan Nation articles on the SI site to see that.

What's more remarkable than acknowledging that the Rams fans have some deluded fools amongst their number is noting how many times that Post-Dispatch writers feel the need to lambast Rams fans, I've never seen a newspaper so keen to attack the people it wants to buy the paper to read Rams news.

I don't see the need to continually berate fans, no matter how stupid the remarks some make are, every team has fans like that, and I don't see it's the local paper's duty to chide them.

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMcNasty View Post
    Are Rams fans really any more ignorant and self important than any other fan base? In my experience every team has it's share of meffelated idiots who think they know it all, you only need to read some of the eyewateringly bigoted and clueless comments to Fan Nation articles on the SI site to see that.

What's more remarkable than acknowledging that the Rams fans have some deluded fools amongst their number is noting how many times that Post-Dispatch writers feel the need to lambast Rams fans, I've never seen a newspaper so keen to attack the people it wants to buy the paper to read Rams news.

I don't see the need to continually berate fans, no matter how stupid the remarks some make are, every team has fans like that, and I don't see it's the local paper's duty to chide them.
    EXACTLY. That's what I keep trying to tell those that continually attack the "negative fan". It amazes me how some "serious fans" get their panties in a bunch when some yahoo says somethings like..."fire all the coaches and front office and sell the team". Chill out man.

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    EXACTLY. That's what I keep trying to tell those that continually attack the "negative fan". It amazes me how some "serious fans" get their panties in a bunch when some yahoo says somethings like..."fire all the coaches and front office and sell the team". Chill out man.
    Negative fans are just those who see reasons to be skeptical and positive fans are those who don't. And when the situation flips, so often do those labels.

A negative fan today may be a positive one tomorrow depending on what they see happening and visa versa. Of course, you will always have those who want to believe and those who want to be shown.

What never changes though is that those who are skeptical wonder why everybody else isn't and those who are positive complain about those who don't share their enthusiasm.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

I am not sure Garrett would have shown sincere interest. He is waiting for the Cowboys job. Just a guess but.

Then again he did fly back to St. Louis after the first interview in LA I read somewhere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast