Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bruce_wannabe Guest

Rams Favor Linehan?????

Updated: Jan. 14, 2006, 12:12 PM ET
    Sources: Dolphins' Linehan emerges as Rams leaderESPN.com news services

Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan has emerged as the favorite to land the head coaching job for the St. Louis Rams, league and team sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Linehan is not a lock for the job, Mortensen reported Saturday, but he had an impressive interview this week and the Rams are doing more research on the 42-year-old assistant who served previously as the Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator.

The Rams initially expected to hire a coach with a defensive background but were disappointed when Gregg Williams signed a lucrative extension to remain with the Washington Redskins. Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera remains in the hunt after the Rams tried unsuccessfully to interview Tampa Bay Buccaneers veteran defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who opted to remain in Tampa.

It now seems more likely the Rams will hire a coach from the offensive side of the football, the sources said, but that there is no imminent hiring on the docket.

The Rams have interviewed defensive coordinators Rivera, Tim Lewis (New York Giants) and Mike Zimmer (Dallas).

Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel interviewed Thursday with St. Louis officials, as the Rams continue to seek the successor to Mike Martz.

San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is one of the finalists, too, Mortensen reports.

Information from ESPN's Chris Mortensen was used in this report.

I REALLY DONT LIKE LINEHAN, HE IS NOT THAT GREAT OF A PLAY CALLER... THE ONLY WAY I SEE HIM COMING IN IS IF THE RAMS HAVE ALREADY PICKED HIS D-COORDINATOR SOMEONE LIKE DAVE MCGINNIS OR DICK JAURON

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Favor Linehan?????

Linehan's done some very good things as an offensive coordinator in both Minnesota and Miami. If we're going to bring in an offensive guy, he'd be at the top of my list. But it all depends on who the defensive coordinator is as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

sounds like a great choice to me, i am confident that if he is hired part of the deal will be a strong defensive coordinator. dick jauron anyone?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

What DEF COORD is available?

I would think if they go Linehan, we would be taking a double risk.

#1 that Linehan can be a good HC. Many good to great coordinators don't make it as Head Coach.

#2 We'd be going delving into the unknown on DEF too, as most likely our DEF COORD would have no experience as an NFL DEF COORD - and, therefore, no proven track record in that capacity.

Maybe I'm wrong, but who are we talking as DEF coord? Usually, you can rule out everyone that already has that position (in the NFL). The guys that are out of work - we don't want them turning around our #31 DEF in the NFL - correct?

Tony, why do you assume that our new coordinator on defense will have no experience as a coordinator. i see no evidence of that. wouldnt you be taking the same risk with an offensive coordinator if we hired a defensive guy?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I could live with Linehan. I gotta admit, I'm still hoping for Rivera, but Linehan works for me, too. He's done some mighty impressive things with both Minny and Miami so the offensive side should be okay. Find a good DC and we're in business.

For those who may not know, Linehan has made national players out of QBs with little natural talent. During his college days, Linehan took names like Redman, Ragone, Huard, and Nussmeier from obscurity to big-time college ball (Redman and Ragone were both national offensive players of the year). Alas, all four bombed without him in the pros. If he can take guys like Fitz, Smoker, and (to a lesser degree) Bulger and bring their game up, I'd be very happy.

The only potential pitfall.......make sure he doesn't fall into the same nepotism trap that Martz did with Marmie. Linehan got his first NFL job from Mike Tice, and Linehan played QB for Dennis Erickson. Yikes!
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-14-2006 at 10:16 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ok, let's say we hire Linehan. I know they didn't work together in Miami, but I'd love to see Wannstedt come in as our DC. Would he leave the HC spot at Pitt U.? That I don't know. But Wanny always had a knack for bringing a solid D to the stadium.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Ok, let's say we hire Linehan. I know they didn't work together in Miami, but I'd love to see Wannstedt come in as our DC. Would he leave the HC spot at Pitt U.? That I don't know. But Wanny always had a knack for bringing a solid D to the stadium.
    Seriously doubt he leaves the college ranks, considering how much recruiting and what not he's probably done.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    You said exactly what I was just thinking. I would NOT mind seeing that combo AT ALL....
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

there is no chance on gods green earth that linehaman will get hired on a platform of anything other than bringing in a front line defensive coordinator. shaw isnt stupid, he knows that the cronyism under martz was part of the issue on defense this year. i guarantee that if this guy is hired he picks a solid defensive coordinator. in fact, i wouldnt be surprised at all if behind the scenes, the coordinator is part of the package when he is hired (ie shaw already knows who he has in mind and has signed off)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I believe Bernie is reporting that Linehan already has a defensive staff picked out.

Nick, i believe that 100%. i think that shaw is going to hire a complete package, head coach and coordinator in one shot. i dont believe he is going to hire a guy and then go looking for a coordinator later. Of course, i would love to know who the lineman has presented as his coordinator.

bottom line, shaw is going to be sure that HE hires the head coach and SIGNS OFF on the coordinator. he is NOT going to just hire a head coach and then let that guy hire whatever coordinator he wants.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

I'm with GC, to me Shaw has already picked his DC there is no way Linehan could pick anybody for the DC position shaw is not stupid!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

bruce_wannabe Guest

ya i totally agree with that statement too...the rams have struggled midely without a bright minded defensive coach, so for them to not bring in a d coordinator with a track record of experiance would be idiotic

maineram is offline Registered User

I read somewhere that the secondary coach for Tampa is Linehan's choice as his DC.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast