Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Favor Linehan?????

Sorry, maineram that guy ( Mike ??) was hired just this week to be the DC for Minnesota. I couldn't believe he is only 33 years old, quite a roll of the dice in Minny.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by majorram
    I'm with GC, to me Shaw has already picked his DC there is no way Linehan could pick anybody for the DC position shaw is not stupid!!!
    Actually, it tells me that when Linehan presented his ideas for the staff in the interview, Shaw liked it. If Shaw already had coordinators picked out or wasn't going to leave it up to the HC, then there would be no knock on these other candidates for not having a complete plan, and no reason that Linehan is the frontrunner.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

It may be a matter of semantics, but i was not suggesting that shaw picked the defensive coordinator, merely that as part of the interview process, he would want to know what the future head coachs plan was, ie INPUT into the selection. I agree with nick that he head linemans plan and liked what he heard, which would give an advantage to lineman. I dont think shaw is giving any head coach carte blanche to hire anyone he wants as a coordinator, i think he will get input into the decision. The choice has to work for BOTH the head coach and shaw in other words.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

No problem in principle with Linehan, who has demonstrated at Minnesota and Miami that he knows how to handle a balanced offense and develop QB's.(Look what happened to Culpepper after he left) I never bought into the theme that said "...our D sucks so we must have a D coach".

We need a man with a firm grasp of the overall picture, and if Linehan has painted one, then great. If he's appointed, I'll happily give him a 3 year emotional committment.

I do however have more faith in Linehan as the chooser of his own DC than Shaw. Even if I didn't, I'd still say it's Linehans call, because he has to be given a chance to develop his own vision for the rams, after all, it's the reason he will be appointed.

What's the point in giving him the keys to the car only to tell him to sit in the passenger seat while Shaw picks his assistants?

I just want to see some firm direction taken on this issue and soon.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well said, Fat Pang, good point. :up:

If for some reason R. Rivera is not hired as our HC -- and surely today's loss Vs. Carolina will not be used as the gauge! -- I would want to see Linehan as runner up.

Immediately after that, I would also like to see Shaw give up his ego for a day or two and allow the new HC to hand select his own DC, which in the case of Linehan I hope would be Wannstedt, as HUbison and MOM mentioned.

:angryram:

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

hope its RIVERA the guy is truff and puts together a good (D)

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    We need a man with a firm grasp of the overall picture, and if Linehan has painted one, then great. If he's appointed, I'll happily give him a 3 year emotional committment.
    I'd hope that all the candidates would have the ability to look at the big picture. As for Linehan's balanced approach. It was anything but balanced in Minnesota. He does seem to be able to work well with QB's. I, like you, will give the new coach 3 yrs grace period. That is as long as we continue to improve. I don't expect monumental improvement at first, but I'd like to see this team develop a personality again (like 1999, not like 1990-1998).
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth
    As for Linehan's balanced approach. It was anything but balanced in Minnesota.
    Really? In his first year, the Vikes were first in rushing and ninth in passing. Year two, fourth in both rushing and passing. Year three was the only off year. How is that not balanced?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Good thing he LEFT Minnesota...I give him credit for that!
    Last edited by Fargo Ram Fan; -01-16-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12