Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rams fear ACL tear for Jake Long

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: Rams fear ACL tear for Jake Long

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Too iffy? Wasn't he a top 5 tackle this season? Especially in the run game?

A top 5 tackle, with top-injury history to boot. He had injury issues in Miami, and now he's torn his ACL and MCL here. Yes, iffy.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Is there a general assumption that Long's career is essentially over, or that no way , given his postion as an OT , he recovers soon enough to play next year?
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    His career is not over.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    A top 5 tackle, with top-injury history to boot. He had injury issues in Miami, and now he's torn his ACL and MCL here. Yes, iffy.
    He isn't exactly Denario Alexander when it comes to a history of knee injuries.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Long's career might not be over, but a 315 pound man who tears both of those ligaments is in serious trouble. Questions regarding when he can come back and how effective he'll be when he does are valid.
    RealRam and Nick like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Long's career might not be over, but a 315 pound man who tears both of those ligaments is in serious trouble. Questions regarding when he can come back and how effective he'll be when he does are valid.
    Perhaps. Ligament repairs have come a long way, and he's still a young man. I doubt he'll be ready by opening day, but I suspect he'll play next year. Perhaps, if the Rams do take Jake Matthews, Long might be plugged in on the right side if he comes back in the middle of the season.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    He isn't exactly Denario Alexander when it comes to a history of knee injuries.
    That's true, but them again, who is?

The fact is, JLong is a talented left tackle with somewhat extensive injury history.
    And he just suffered a devastating injury to his knee. His career is almost certainly not over, but to expect him to come back and compete at the same level he did in his early days in Miami is unrealistic, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -12-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I'm not sure extensive means what I think you think it means

Why is there a lot of people claiming JLong has an injury bug? I'm not claiming a knee injury such as this isn't serious, but I just don't see a history of this guy getting hurt... cuz there isn't one.

It wasn't until the last game of his 4th season that he finally missed a game. In his 5th is the "extensive injury" everyone apparently talks about. Then he played all of his 6th year until .... well, this week.

So here's the breakdown including this year. In 5 of his 6 years (always as a starter) JLong misses a total of 2 games. That's 2!

In the one "bad" year of his (1 year out of 6), he was placed on IR in December and only missed 4 games or so.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see how 6 games in 6 years is extensive injury history. Plus, the injuries are not all placed in one "achilles heel" of a location. (ie. 1 game = back injury; 4 games = arm injury; 1 game = knee injury)

IMO, Saffold has an extensive injury history... Long does not.

That is all.

ps. that's not all. One last thing: draft OL in 2014!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Why is there a lot of people claiming JLong has an injury bug?
    According to Rotoworld, Long has dealt with biceps, triceps, knees, back and shoulder injuries over the last few seasons.

Quoting from CBS Sports at the time of Long's signing: "There are, however, real questions about Long's future viability. He was hurt for much of 2012 and didn't play well. And though the Rams' medical staff cleared Long after what was reportedly an extensive and long physical exam, you have to wonder if Long is still the same player whom he was, say, two years ago."

The Rams wouldn't subject Long to an extensive physical exam by team doctors if the concerns about Long's durability and health status were fan-invented.
    RealRam likes this.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

He is very talented. But also he is injury prone. So you have to look at it, from the latter point of view. It is about being durable indeed! Playing through the pain!
    Happy New Year 2015!

Haste is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    This changes nothing in regards to the first 1st Rd. pick as we should have taken matthews in the first round anyway, however one has to begin to wonder....do we draft 2 O-linemen in the 1st Rd. like S.F. did a few years ago?
    I think it may be a good idea. What other top Olineman would be available with our 2nd pick?

Going to be very difficult for Long to recover to levels he is used to performing at without some 'help.'

Guessing he is about to lose a lot of weight and strength which will take a long time to gain back. If his training regimen is on point, he may even come back better as he will spend more time working out and getting in tune with his body.

Randart is offline Registered User

I am a huge Jake Long fan so to me this is a devastating blow to the team and the organization. He is one of the best tackles in the game period. After a slow start and period of adjustment to our team and this line he has led the way and this line was playing as good as any line in the league imho. Really helped our O-Line getting Zac and Bam Bam healthy along with Harkey and Kendricks returning from injuries. The offense was really rolling and is. Jake is a class act all the way, I could not believe our good fortune in landing him thanks to getting Fish and Snead they are what convinced him of the potential here in St. Louis. I hope Jake comes back from this 100%, I am sure he will give it his best shot cause that is who the man is.

You guys really hit the nails on the head though we really could use at least two linemen in the upcoming draft even before Jake went down. Too much uncertainty as to who will stay or go after the season and depth is a key as injuries happen. How our front office and Fish address this is something that will be interesting to us all this offseason. I love that Roger is keeping a low profile through this season really being a warrior and team guy he deserves the contrat we know he has coming from whoever lands him not sure it will be us.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Finally we start to not have to worry about Sam back there and our Tackles needing help and this happens. It's unfortunate, but at least Jake and Sam can rehab together and push each other.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

It's bad but it's not the end of his career. He will be back he may miss a few games early next year but he will be back. It's interesting that so many fans acknowledge he has been battling injures but don't want to consider taking what should be his long term replacement in Jake Matthews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12