RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams are finally getting lined up

By Bill Coats 10/11/2007 3:17 pm

It’s a time for “firsts” for the Rams’ battered offensive line. Last week, the same five that started the game also finished for the first time this year. On Sunday, the same five who started vs. Arizona are expected to be in the lineup at Baltimore; that hasn’t happened yet in consecutive games.

“It helps the continuity of the group,” coach Scott Linehan said. “Our group had a pretty solid game last week.”

The group comprises Alex Barron at left tackle, Andy McCollum at left guard, Brett Romberg at center, Richie Incognito at right guard and Milford Brown at right tackle.

Although Incognito had serious penalty problems and Brown had some difficulty with the edge rushers, quarterback Gus Frerotte was sacked just once and absorbed few other significant hits.

The line was even better blocking for Leonard. The rookie back ran for 102 yards on 18 carries; overall, the Rams averaged 5.3 yards per rushing attempt. It doesn’t figure to be that easy this time; the Ravens are second in the NFL in run defense, yielding a mere 66 yards per game.

The line “did a heck of a job (vs. the Cardinals), so obviously that’s going to bring confidence to this upcoming game,” Leonard said. “I’m sure the offensive line gets in their routine with the same group of guys in there – not having to move to different positions and things like that. For the running back, you just read your blocks and hit the hole. It’s not too much of a difference for me, but I’m sure it’s a big difference for those guys.”

Sitting out with an injury is always difficult. It’s compounded when you watch your teammates lose week after week. That was cornerback Tye Hill’s experience while he was sidelined for four games with broken bones in his locker back.

“I want to be a part of it, win or lose,” Hll said. “If we’re going to go down, I’m going to go down with them. And if we’re going to turn this around, I want to be there to turn it around with them.”

Hill is expected to play Sunday in Baltimore, although he might not start.

Notes & quotes:

>>Even though RB Steven Jackson did some light individual work this week for the first time since tearing a groin muscle Sept. 23 vs. Tampa Bay, his return is far from imminent. He might not be back until after the bye (Nov. 4).

>>QB Marc Bulger (ribs, knee) is progressing and could be re-installed as the starter next week. Of course, Gus Frerotte’s performance vs. the Ravens could have something to do with that, too.

>>Like the Rams, the Ravens have had trouble scoring. In their last two games, they’ve scored only one touchdown and totaled just 22 points.

All for now . . .

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams are finally getting lined up

Our o-line has a huge challenge on their hands this Sunday. Running on the Ravens is tough and they do blitz alot.

On the flip side the Ravens have probably the youngest o-line in the NFL because of injured players being out. We need to throw the sink at them.