Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Rams Flashback - 20 years ago

The 1985 LA Rams.

Oh what a team that was. Personally, I think it was the best Rams team from the 80's. Some might argue that the Everett led Rams of 89 were better, but I go with the 85 team because of one reason - DEFENSE!!

The Rams offense of that year was designed around the running of Eric the great. They had a pint sized QB by the name of Deiter Brock. For those of you who think Bulger is small, you never saw or forgot how small Brock was. He was listed at 6' - I swear if he was an inch over 5'9" I'd be shocked.

Funny thing is, head coach Robinson was being heavily criticized by the southern cal media and Rams fans alike for not passing the ball enough. Oh how times have changed.

There was no criticism about the D that year. The Rams, like most other teams in the NFL at that time, ran the 3-4 scheme.

They had a unit full of no-names that fed off each other, while flying to the ball in a stingy zone scheme.

DE - Reggie Doss, DE- Gary Jeter, NT - Charles DeJournet - pressured the QB.

Gary Green and LeRoy Irvin manned the islands. Nolan Cromwell and Johnnie Johnson were the deep men.

Now the best part of that D was its LB's. Oh what a group that was!! It's modern day equivalent could only be the LB unit in New England.

But of course I think these Rams LB's were better.

OLB - Mike Wilcher, OLB - Mel Owens, ILB - Carl Ekern, ILB - Jim Collins.

God I loved those guys!

They were LB's.

Athletic, smart, great tacklers, they could cover, they had instincts, they sniffed out plays as if they were computers programmed to see every formation and play that opposing offenses ran.

They flew all over the field and they stayed on the field for almost every down. Only one LB would ever come come off the field when the Rams went to their 33 nickle package.

Ekern was the best of the four, in my opinon, but believe me, they were all very, very good.

If you could clone Bruschi and Fletcher together you would have Carl Ekern. He played in the middle. He would raise his arms up on almost every down like a bird of prey ready to fly to the ball. He was fantastic and 1985 was perhaps his best year. Ekern wore #55 and the current Rams LB, wearing #55, couldn't hold Ekern's jockstrap.

The highlight of that season was the divisional playoff victory over the hated cowboys.

The cowboys of that era were similar to the Rams of this era. They had the dangerous, strike at any time, high powered offense. The Rams got em at home in Anaheim for that playoff game.

The Rams defense shut em down and shut em out.

Rams - 20

boys - 0

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Flashback - 20 years ago

I loved that team, but i have to disagree about the best part of the defense. I think it was the secondary. boy were we tough to throw on. Both corners could handle one on one. The safeties were terrific both in run and coverage support. Great great team.

One other thing i loved about that team was our tight end, the "floating tackle" david hill. Now there was a tight end that could clear out some space.

That team ran into the 85 bears, the greatest defense of all time in my opinion, but they had a great great year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ram3057 is offline Registered User

There is a huge photograph of Brock handing off to Dickerson in the Emergency Room at Centinela Hospital. My wife used to work there and I tried my best to snag it off the wall.

They had it screwed down, though, and I could never get it!

I need to go back over there and see if it is still there!!

LOL
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Dam Ferter, that's going back a bit.
    Miami Vice, MTV, Rubik's Cube.........

Funny thing is, head coach Robinson was being heavily criticized by the southern cal media and Rams fans alike for not passing the ball enough. Oh how times have changed.
    I was one of those who would be yelling from the Ucker seats at the Big A to throw the dam ball. But it was of course Dieter Brock.

I loved that team, but i have to disagree about the best part of the defense. I think it was the secondary. boy were we tough to throw on. Both corners could handle one on one. The safeties were terrific both in run and coverage support. Great great team.
    Yes they were, and not afraid to lay a hit on someone for good measure.

Ekern was the best of the four, in my opinion, but believe me, they were all very, very good.
    I've got an autographed Ekern card. I think he's overlooked as far as great Ram players.

:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

For those who aren't aware, Nolan Cromwell is the WR's coach for Seattle. I want to know why he isn't coaching the Rams secondary.

Here's his bio from the hawks site.

Named to his current position on January 14, 1999, Nolan Cromwell enters his 26th NFL season; the first 11 as a Pro Bowl-caliber safety and the last 14 as an assistant coach.

Cromwell has been instrumental in the development Darrell Jackson who set a franchise mark with 87 receptions last season. Jackson, who led all rookie receivers in catches, yards and touchdowns in 2000, followed with a 70-catch season in 2001 and became the first Seahawks receiver to eclipse the 1,000-yard mark since Joey Galloway (1998). Despite missing three games in 2002 (concussion), Jackson still finished second on the team with 62 catches for 877 yards.

Cromwell’s 2002 receiving corps helped set franchise records for most 300-yard (5) and 400-yard (2) passing games and in 2003 helped QB Matt Hasselbeck set a franchise record with 3,841 passing yards.

In 1999, he helped Derrick Mayes have a career year, leading the team in receptions (62) and touchdowns (10).

In 1998, Cromwell coached the Green Bay Packers' wide receivers under Mike Holmgren, after serving as special teams coach from 1992-97.

Cromwell's receiving corps included Pro Bowl standout Antonio Freeman who established career-highs leading the NFL with 1,424 yards on 84 receptions. Overall, the Packers passing game accounted for 33 touchdowns that year, while helping guide the team to a sixth-consecutive postseason appearance.

Before taking over the wide receivers, Cromwell coached Green Bay's aggressive special teams units. One of the league's most feared punt return teams, the Packers paced the NFL in 1996 with a 15.1-yard return average. That year, his group of field position warriors also led the league by scoring 24 points, and adding another two touchdowns in the postseason en route to a Super Bowl XXXI victory. On five different weekends during the 1996 season, one of Cromwell's players was honored as Special Teams Player of the Week.

Prior to taking on duties with the Packers, Cromwell coached on John Robinson's Los Angeles Rams staff as a defensive and special teams assistant in 1991.

A second-round draft choice by the Rams in 1977, Cromwell played his entire 11-year career for Los Angeles, earning four Pro Bowl berths, an NFC Defensive Player of the Year award (Kansas City Committee of 101) in 1980, and an NFL Defensive Back of the Year award (Football Digest) in 1984.

He ended his Rams career as the team's all-time leader in interception return yardage with 671 yards on 37 picks. He was also a member of the Rams' Super Bowl XIV team following the 1979 season.

An All-America wishbone quarterback at Kansas, Cromwell established an NCAA single-game rushing record for quarterbacks with 294 yards as a junior, after playing safety his first two collegiate seasons. He also was an accomplished decathlete in track.

Born on January 30, 1955, in Kansas, Nolan and his wife, Mary, have two children, Lance (6/15/86) and Jennifer (4/13/88). :clanram:

We need to bring back some of these guys.
    Jack Youngblood for DC...
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel is offline Registered User

Is he a potential defensive coordinator? I would love to have jerry gray, a great former ram back at the d coordinator spot, unless of course we could induce buddy ryan out of retirement.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamTime Guest

I was talking to Greg Westbrook's who played on the Rams superbowl team SB 14 and on Raiders SB 15 team. Anyway he was telling me that Ekern had died in a peculiar accident on his way to do some volunteer stuff that pro athletes do for the community. It was at some Boys Ranch or something like that. Greg didn't get to far into it when he just looked at Carl's picture and said "There was something not right about the accident." I believe the accident happened on the property of the Boys Ranch itself. Anyone else hear anything about this?