Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams Free Agency Albert Haynesworth Signing Being Discussed

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Free Agency Albert Haynesworth Signing Being Discussed

What is there to lose? Stan's money and a roster spot for one of the many great dts the rams have on the roster...

I don't believe the talent has left Albert, just the passion. Perhaps he is tired of his current image, and wants to prove himself again? Fisher certainly knows how to manage him.

Of course every time haynseworth has been available I petition for him... For some reason I love guys like moss, Albert, and TO. :/. So take my opinion with a grain of salt

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

St. Louis is the last stop for him. After that the Canadians won't touch him let alone arena. It's
    do or done. Take the kid Harry!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Yet again we must deal with hearing a roll call of the league's washed up former problem children- Moss, T.O, Haynesworth, etc. And once again I must voice my strong objections to even considering such nonsense. A bad team does not prostitute itself by trying to bring in players of this ilk. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU!! Only in a rareified situation where a team has an established core of veterans and a track record of success can you bring in a problem and have any chance at all for him to fit in.

What makes anyone think he's gonna' flourish here if he coudn't cut it at his last stop? He's finished.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    What makes anyone think he's gonna' flourish here if he coudn't cut it at his last stop? He's finished.
    Actually, he couldn't cut it in his last three stops. Bad attitude, confrontational, undisciplined. I don't see the upside to Haynesworth at this point.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Haynesworth?!?! What!!!

I think the actual Fat Albert cartoon would be a better player / addition.

Yet again we must deal with hearing a roll call of the league's washed up former problem children- Moss, T.O, Haynesworth, etc. And once again I must voice my strong objections to even considering such nonsense. A bad team does not prostitute itself by trying to bring in players of this ilk. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU!! Only in a rareified situation where a team has an established core of veterans and a track record of success can you bring in a problem and have any chance at all for him to fit in.

-- NJ Ramsfan1
    That last phrase, "he's finished" sounds so sentencing. But a good sentence, NJ!

Albert Haynesworth -- "Poster Child" for Player Development
    Source: The Football Educator / Nov. 8, 2011

And you thought you didn’t get enough of Albert Haynesworth this summer? Once again the two time Pro Bowl Defensive Tackle is in the news for all the wrong reasons. You know when the New England Patriots give up on you after trading away a fifth round choice that you’re at the end of your rope. The Patriots have waived the oft troubled former 1st round draft pick of the Tennessee Titans.

Reports stem from New England avoiding an upcoming contractual bonus to a sideline incident between Haynesworth and coaches. The reasons really don’t matter in the end though. Haynesworth, the former Sporting News 2008 Defensive Player of the Year, is on the street.

The Haynesworth saga has now reached “rock bottom”. Three teams in three years; Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins, New England Patriots. This story sounds oddly familiar. Big time talent with troubled background breaks away from original team and signs the deal of a lifetime (Washington Redskins – 7 years, $100 million). Haynesworth then became the perfect target for a head coach that is constantly looking for one. That investment lasted all of one season as Haynesworth was suspended for the remainder of 2010.

Bill Belichick traded a 5th round pick in 2013 for a chance to rehab the once dominant player. But Haynesworth struggled on and off the field, couldn’t find his fit in the Patriot defense and was released.

One might argue that this is nothing new. Character questions have plagued Haynesworth since the beginning of his career. As sighted from Wikipedia;
    • Haynesworth refused to workout at the NFL Combine.
    • An arrest warrant was issued of Haynesworth stemming from a traffic incident, charges later dropped.
    • Haynesworth was suspended in 2007 an unprecedented 5 games for stomping on Dallas Cowboys Andre Gurode’s head.
    • In 2008 Haynesworth was convicted of two misdemeanor traffic violations relating to an accident in which a victim was left partially paralyzed after colliding with Haynesworth’s vehicle.
    • Haynesworth “called out” his coaches at Washington in 2009 regarding the defensive system being employed.
    • Clayton Bank and Trust filed suit against Haynesworth for failure to make payment on a $2.38 million dollar loan.
    • Haynesworth entered the “dog house” of Mike Shanahan in 2010, failing the team’s preseason conditioning test, missing a practice and then faced suspension for “conduct detrimental” to the club.
    • Also in 2010 Haynesworth was implicated in a paternity suit by stripper Sylvia Mena for $10 million.
    • Haynesworth allegedly threw a punch to the nose of Joel Velazques of Leesburg, Va. during a traffic altercation.
    • Haynesworth reportedly argued with Patriot coaches Pepper Johnson and Bill Belichick on the sidelines of a New England game.

Haynesworth’s sports agent Chad Speck must be pulling his hair out, but continues to represent his player over this twisting, turning, troubled course. Some might argue that at age 30 nothing is going to change. They’re probably right. “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink” and all those other catchy phrases that go with trying to turn around Haynesworth’s type.

I for one see another “poster child” for an enhanced Player Development Program by his sports agency or Haynesworth’s club (if he ever gets another one). I would MANDATE his participation before he ever stepped foot into the facility. This would include an individualized and coordinated plan integrating all of the following resources;
    • FESS (Flexibility, Explosion Strength, and Speed) Director
    • Head Athletic Trainer
    • Team Physician
    • Nutritionist
    • L6L (Performance and Clinical Psychologist) Director
    • Public/Media Communications Director
    • Educational Programs and Curriculum Development Director
    • Team Chaplain and Community Outreach Director
    • Financial Advisor and Business Development Director
    • Head Football Coach
    • Player Personnel and Evaluation Director
    • Legal Counsel

I would work closely with Haynesworth’s immediate family and ensure his 100% participation as an agreement to any future contractual compensation. As much work would be done off the field as on the field.

Look, The Football Educator is not saying this will resurrect Haynesworth’s career, but it might eventually save his life.
    -
    ZiaRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

While I have no problem with anyone who is against the concept of giving Haynesworth a look, the analogy to Moss or T.O. is weak. They are clearly hindered by Father Time, where as Haynesworth is still young enough to be a producitive player at his position for several years.

Of course that is IF and only IF he is capable of changing his approach to the game, which he quite possibly might not be capable of doing.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    For what its worth, the Patriots run a 3-4 base, which Haynesworth clearly does not like. So, while I'm not going to say that Fisher is a better motivator than Belichick, I do think he has the advantage of running a system that Haynesworth likes better.
    Av, the Pats actually ran a lot of 4-3 this year because they had crap for linebackers and much more depth on the defensive line. At the start of the year, at least. I don't know how they finished up, and I didn't pay that much attention in the Super Bowl.

In any case, I'd give him a vet minimum contract with no signing bonus but a $1M roster bonus to be paid after week 8 and another $2M after week 16. If he wants the cash, he better play. If he sucks, we can cut him for no penalty.

Very little risk, but at least a moderately high reward. And we play his preferred front at least.
    I believe!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

While I have no problem with anyone who is against the concept of giving Haynesworth a look, the analogy to Moss or T.O. is weak. They are clearly hindered by Father Time, where as Haynesworth is still young enough to be a producitive player at his position for several years.

Of course that is IF and only IF he is capable of changing his approach to the game, which he quite possibly might not be capable of doing.
    Other than age, the comparison is quite appropriate in my opinion. All three have spotty records as malcontents. All three have worn out their welcome in multiple places despite great talent. All three have served as big time distractions during their playing careers. And all three have been brought up at various times on this forum. They are players of the same ilk- and none of them will serve as positive influences as the rams try to climb out of the abyss.
    RealRam likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'm gonna trust Fisher on this one. If he says it's a go, then it's a go for me. The four pillar thing is worthless as we just proved repeatedly over the last several years. It's time to get some guys who can play football.

As long as he's not breaking the law, and he goes out and does his job well every week, who cares if he'll never be invited to ride around with the Pope.

RealRam is offline Registered User

A disgruntled Moss. A disgruntled T.O. A disgruntled Haynesworth. Okay, 'age before beauty'.

Seriously, I think NJ has got this one resolved correctly.

PS: Besides, is Al 'BigHaynes' that good that the Rams can't look elsewhere and/or develop the DTs we have?

If St. Louis is serious about adding the defensive tackle, they will likely have priority, and the team clearly needs a talent upgrade in the middle of the defensive line. -- SV Horn
    >>>Coach, am I not an U P G R A D E ! ? !

Referee: Coach, three strikes against No. 92! He's out!
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-27-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Ram / PS

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Av, the Pats actually ran a lot of 4-3 this year because they had crap for linebackers and much more depth on the defensive line. At the start of the year, at least. I don't know how they finished up, and I didn't pay that much attention in the Super Bowl.

In any case, I'd give him a vet minimum contract with no signing bonus but a $1M roster bonus to be paid after week 8 and another $2M after week 16. If he wants the cash, he better play. If he sucks, we can cut him for no penalty.

Very little risk, but at least a moderately high reward. And we play his preferred front at least.
    Teke you got it right here. They were a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4 running 4-3 probably 75% of the time. They had Andre Carter, Kyle Love, Vince Wilfork, and Mark Anderson on the line a lot of the time with Rob Ninkovich, Jerod Mayo, and Brandon Spikes at LB.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

How about we just trade for Ndamakong Suh? jeezz....

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I don't want us to get robbed like the Redskins.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

For what its worth, the Patriots run a 3-4 base, which Haynesworth clearly does not like. So, while I'm not going to say that Fisher is a better motivator than Belichick, I do think he has the advantage of running a system that Haynesworth likes better.
    Actually AV, I will. We hear all the time how all his players love BB, but personally, I don't buy it.
    He's a "my way or..." guy, and a great coach, but not inspirational on a personal level. (As is Shanahan as well, btw.) Add to the fact, both play a 3-4, and you have issues.

Fisher, on the other hand, is just the opposite, (according to an interview with Kevin Carter, when comparing Fisher and Gruden during the Rams' coach search): Carter stressed that Fisher was great BECAUSE he could deal with different players on an individual basis.

Don't get me wrong - I still think Haynesworth is half an a**hole, but a good DT. I'm watching this with interest, and would like to see him for the right incentivised contract, which i would trust Demoff to put together.

Really pumped this year, (and I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't last year after going 7-9, until the lockout, injuries and just plain having the planets line up, not in a good way turned it into such a brutal season). This year tho, the draft picks ARE going to hit, entire secondaries won't disappear, QB's won't get (out for the season) injured on the last meaningless play of the game, 4th and one's will be gone for, clock's will be managed, and assistant coaches will get results.

Hell, even Cowherd predicted the Rams would be the surprise team of the year. Say what you want about him, (and I do), he does do his homework.

(Incidentally AV - like the sig)
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123