throwback week

Chiledog Guest

Rams get a C- grade in draft...

Don Banks of SI gave 5-year draft grades to NFC West teams, and the Rams pulled off a whopping C-, tied for last in the division:

NFC West Five-Year Draft Grades
    Arizona Cardinals
    C-

The Cardinals had a great 2004 draft, finding playmakers with their first three selections: receiver Larry Fitzgerald, linebacker Karlos Dansby and defensive tackle Darnell Dockett. Receiver Anquan Boldin in the second round in 2003 was the heist of that draft. But then things get a bit dicey, because Arizona's mistakes far outweigh its successes. Receiver Bryant Johnson and defensive end Calvin Pace (both 1st, 2003) have not measured up -- same goes for defensive tackle Wendell Bryant (1st, 2002). Add in running back Thomas Jones (1st, 2000), who did little in Arizona, and a clear pattern emerges.

St. Louis Rams
    C-

Most of the Rams' draft failures of late have come on defense, where former No. 1's like defensive tackle Damione Lewis (2001), linebacker Robert Thomas (2002), and defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy (2003) have made an unacceptably low impact. Last year, St. Louis had success in the first round with running back Steven Jackson, and their third-round pick, defensive end Tony Hargrove, was starting and contributing by season's end. Receivers Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald were good finds in the third and fourth rounds in 2003, but the Rams still haven't solved their defensive problems.

San Francisco *****
    C

It's been a long time since the ***** drafted a player who made a big first-year impact -- a trend they hope that changes with this year's No. 1-overall pick. Receiver Rashaun Woods (1st, 2004) didn't do much last year, and the ***** remain in the market for more help at his position. Linebacker Julian Peterson (1st, 2000), cornerback Ahmed Plummer (1st, 2000), linebacker Jamie Winborn (2nd, 2001) and receiver Brandon Lloyd (4th, 2003) have turned out well. But Andre Carter (1st, 2001), cornerback Mike Rumph (1st, 2002) and kicker Jeff Chandler (4th, 2002) all have underachieved.

Seattle Seahawks
    C+

The Seahawks have gathered three-fourths of their starting secondary in the past two drafts, selecting cornerback Marcus Trufant (1st) and safety Ken Hamlin (2nd) in 2003, and safety Michael Boulware (2nd) in 2004. It's not all good news in the Pacific Northwest. Tight end Jerramy Stevens (1st, 2002) isn't as far along as he should be, and defensive tackle Marcus Tubbs (1st, 2004) had an injury-shortened rookie season. Running back Shaun Alexander (1st, 2000) has been a true-No. 1 rusher, but immature receiver Koren Robinson (1st, 2001) may be getting close to his final shot in Seattle.
    Last edited by Chiledog; -04-20-2005 at 06:04 PM.

sbramfan Guest

Re: Rams get a C- grade in draft...

Well, I can't disagree. All those DT's in the first round, and Big Grease was the one they all said was a reach. He's the only one who's even semi-solid. I know that Kennedy has started to show some potential, but we will find out this year.

Robert Thomas is a Bizzzust.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Don Banks has never been much of a fan of the Rams. I'd say that grade is a bit harsh.

Chiledog Guest

Banks might be hard on the Rams, but I don't believe he was too unfair in his take on the Rams last 5 drafts. There have been very few standout players, and certianly none that could be considered among the elite of the league. Seems to me that a team should at least be able to come up with one pro-bowl caliber player (or at least a stand-out) among 5-years' worth of drafts picks. Or am I being idealistic and unfairly judgemental with the Rams' brain trust?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

St. Louis Rams
    C-

Most of the Rams' draft failures of late have come on defense, where former No. 1's like defensive tackle Damione Lewis (2001), linebacker Robert Thomas (2002), and defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy (2003) have made an unacceptably low impact. Last year, St. Louis had success in the first round with running back Steven Jackson, and their third-round pick, defensive end Tony Hargrove, was starting and contributing by season's end. Receivers Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald were good finds in the third and fourth rounds in 2003, but the Rams still haven't solved their defensive problems.
    How do you evaluate our last 5 drafts w/o talking about Pisa and Polley? Both were 2nd round picks that turned out well. Polley fizzled out but he was productive in the short term, and Pisa has been outstanding. He is the next leader of this defense, IMHO.

And how about some of our lower round lovin'? Like Butler in the 5th, or Massey in the 7th, Tercero in the 6th, & time will tell for sure, but I think last year will turn out to be a great day 2 for us with Chillar in the 4th, Smoker in the 6th, & Turner in the 7th.

If it wasn't for that stinkin' 2000 draft, I'd say we did pretty well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod